Sponsored

Stereo upgrade confusion!

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
Greetings Everyone! Need a little help!

I upgraded my GT's 9 speaker system by simply replacing the speakers, and adding two subwoofers in the trunk. Did think that I'd be satisfied (I was honestly), but [MENTION=20499]mumbles[/MENTION] was right! This bug is not one that dies easy:headbonk: Currently, planning to add either a combo of a JL Audio 4 channel amp plus Mosconi dsp, or a Helix V Eight. :frusty:

The issue is, I read somewhere on the forum that one loses the volume control on the HU if a dsp/amp is added to the factory system, and thereafter, it will have to be controlled via a separate volume/gain control knob. I wish to retain that functionality.

Any way I can do this for an Indian spec Mustang (Equipment 400a, premium system w/o sub)? I know that people have achieved this through ForScan, or the harness supplied by OEMRadio. Are these also available/applicable for this Mustang?
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You wont loose the volume control as this is totally analog. You can fetch the input signal for the DSP from the headunits output signal, which goes right to the amp in the drivers footwell.

There is a sticky on top of this subforum where you can get all the information you need.

OP
OP
Nik_Ind

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You wont loose the volume control as this is totally analog. You can fetch the input signal for the DSP from the headunits output signal, which goes right to the amp in the drivers footwell.

There is a sticky on top of this subforum where you can get all the information you need.
Thanks for replying! I can assure you that I did go through the sticky. But I can't seem to remember where exactly I read that I'd have to either disable the ACM equalisation, or get the harness to retain the volume control. Perhaps, I'll just give it a shot!

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Believe me. I added an aftermarket amp and didn't need an external volume control with either the stock radio or the new Kenwood headunit.
Volume control is done by the ACM, not by anything else.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for replying! I can assure you that I did go through the sticky. But I can't seem to remember where exactly I read that I'd have to either disable the ACM equalisation, or get the harness to retain the volume control. Perhaps, I'll just give it a shot!

There is no "communication bus" that sends volume signals. The head unit controls all of that, as has been mentioned. I kept my head unit in my 2018 and replaced everything else. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nik_Ind

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright, brother! In that case, I'll just add the amplifier first. I'll see if I need the dsp later. Would there be any issue technically if I just power the front speakers off the amp, leave the rear connected to the factory amp?

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Alright, brother! In that case, I'll just add the amplifier first. I'll see if I need the dsp later. Would there be any issue technically if I just power the front speakers off the amp, leave the rear connected to the factory amp?

You can do that or just disconnect them. In my system, I run 6 speakers and a sub. Tweets, 3's, 6.5's, and a 12" sub. I power the tweets and 3's with one amp, the 6.5's and sub with the other. Nice clean sound for our Stangs!

OP
OP
Nik_Ind

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can do that or just disconnect them. In my system, I run 6 speakers and a sub. Tweets, 3's, 6.5's, and a 12" sub. I power the tweets and 3's with one amp, the 6.5's and sub with the other. Nice clean sound for our Stangs!
Understood! Time to start experimenting, I guess. I'll post back with updates soon:thumbsup: