Sponsored

anyone running Flowmasters with h-pipe?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Just picked up a ‘15 GT. Looks to have Flowmaster series 40 Delta flow mufflers and an H pipe (no resonator).

Sounds mean. A “little” loud for my tastes. Maybe a tad bit of drone at lower speeds. Anyone else have this set up?
And would a Flowmaster catback be even louder?

Thanks.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They're called dronemasters for a reason. Get a different axleback. Corsa touring, AWE, krona, FRPP Touring. No drone with those.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
They're called dronemasters for a reason. Get a different axleback. Corsa touring, AWE, krona, FRPP Touring. No drone with those.
Thanks. I might. The Mustang isn’t my DD so I’ll see if it bothers me. It’s actually not too bad. More a bit too loud if anything. But yes Corsa Sport most likely if anything. I think the touring would be too quiet?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I might. The Mustang isn’t my DD so I’ll see if it bothers me. It’s actually not too bad. More a bit too loud if anything. But yes Corsa Sport most likely if anything. I think the touring would be too quiet?
With an H-pipe resonator delete like you have, the sport axleback will be as loud as the Xtreme catback. With the touring it will be solidly loud when you get on it, but extremely manageable and zero drone.

Touring + double X-pipe = Sport catback
Sport + double X-pipe = Xtreme catback

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They're called dronemasters for a reason.
I have flowmaster 40's on my Silverado. Zero drone.
I'll most likely put them on my GT as well. :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With an H-pipe resonator delete like you have, the sport axleback will be as loud as the Xtreme catback. With the touring it will be solidly loud when you get on it, but extremely manageable and zero drone.

Touring + double X-pipe = Sport catback
Sport + double X-pipe = Xtreme catback
Ok, these are the Delta flow 40s. No doubt if the original owner left the resonator on, I’d be fine. We’ll see how it goes. I don’t notice much drone.

Thanks again for the feedback, Bmac! Much appreciated! I will get Corsa touring if I end up with the need to go quieter.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If you buy the corsa I'll buy you axlebacks.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have flowmaster 40's on my Silverado. Zero drone.
I'll most likely put them on my GT as well. :cheers:
Yes I think the h-pipe is what causes the slight bit of drone along with extra noise.

If I get the Corsa, will hit you up.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I think the h-pipe is what causes the slight bit of drone along with extra noise.

If I get the Corsa, will hit you up.
The H pipe doesn't cause drone. The muffler's design does. The stock resonator would only lessen it.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The H pipe doesn't cause drone. The muffler'a design does. The stock resonator would only lessen it.
Hmmm. Ok. Well then it’s just loud really. Will have to drive car again. Just got it. I really don’t notice any real annoying drone. I think the 40 w/delta flow was designed to get rid of most that.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm. Ok. Well then it’s just loud really. Will have to drive car again. Just got it. I really don’t notice any real annoying drone. I think the 40 w/delta flow was designed to get rid of most that.
There's nothing inside that muffler that acts as a quarter wave/Helmholtz resonator. You have to have targeted frequency cancelation for the particular car. As mentioned, Corsa, AWE, Krona, Borla/FRPP by Borla, ARH all do this, some more effective than others at limiting interior presence. What you're hearing is cabin boom that's just at the threshold of drone, so it doesn't feel like your head is vibrating but it's only a tiny step below it.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's nothing inside that muffler that acts as a quarter wave/Helmholtz resonator. You have to have targeted frequency cancelation for the particular car. As mentioned, Corsa, AWE, Krona, Borla/FRPP by Borla, ARH all do this, some more effective than others at limiting interior presence. What you're hearing is cabin boom that's just at the threshold of drone, so it doesn't feel like your head is vibrating but it's only a tiny step below it.
But they have “The “Delta” deflectors generate increased scavenging for better performance and reduced interior sound.“ Lol. I’ll see how it goes. Not a DD. If it bothers me, I’ll naturally gravitate to switching them out and vice versa.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm not one of those zero drone fanatics, but personally, flowmasters do not sound good with the Coyote engine. While Flowmasters sound great when paired with the 5.0L (302ci) and all varieties of the 4.6L (SOHC, DOHC, 2V, 3V, 4V), it produces a raspy tinge to the exhaust note throughout the RPM range with the Coyote and the note isn't full sounding. It has a very un-muscle car like sound IMO.

Last edited:

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not one of those zero drone fanatic, but personally, flowmasters do not sound good with the Coyote engine. While Flowmasters sound great when paired with the 5.0L (302ci) and all varieties of the 4.6L (SOHC, DOHC, 2V, 3V, 4V), it produces a raspy tinge to the exhaust note throughout the RPM range with the Coyote and the note isn't full sounding. It has a very un-muscle car like sound IMO.
Yup! Nothing sounded better than flowmasters on a 5.0 back in the day. My 95 was a turd but sounded great!:thumbsup:

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yup! Nothing sounded better than flowmasters on a 5.0 back in the day. My 95 was a turd but sounded great!:thumbsup:
I agree, nothing sounded better than a O/R H-Pipe and 1 chamber flowmaster with the 5.0L (302ci). I had a 1987 Mustang and that little tin can moved through 1st and 2nd gear, but was hilariously slow after that, especially when compared to modern vehicles. Sounded great though. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited: