Sponsored

Best type of vinyl to wrap a car

mynameissean123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I'm thinking of wrapping my car, I use it as a DD and wow it's getting beat up, quick! I see all these cars that are wrapped, and want to do it. My question is where can I get good quality wrap for my car, and how much do I need to wrap the whole car?

Thanks
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
You might be better off just paying someone to do it.

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Installing vinyl is something everyone can essentially do, it just take patients and a steady hand. For best results obviously let a pro install but if you insist on diy practice on a few objects first so you can see how to work out the bubbles that wont air release. Ive been installing vinyl for a while now and let me tell you the first few times you try will be rough but it is do able for sure. plus you save alot of money doing it your self.
To better answer your question 3m make a fantastic vinyl that is very pliable and easy to work with but they are certainly not the only good one out there. That is just the brand i prefer. But check out metro restyling they sell numerous brands that are all good as well as they have some of the best customer service ive experienced. This is who i order all my wrap from.
https://www.metrorestyling.com/VINY...MI1ciPlo6D2AIViYizCh3m9QiuEAAYASAAEgLNfvD_BwE

Sponsored

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
The shop that did my roof uses Avery. You can find it online but im not sure on pricing and how much you'll need.
+1 for Avery Dennison. They have a high-quality material, which is extremely durable. We've used it on all three of our SEMA builds, which are driven cross-country. It holds up well to bugs, rock chips, fading, etc etc

Nick C.

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
I'm gonna attempt to do mine in the summer myself and the only reason I'm going to is because I'm going to do something similar to the image attached.

Saw that here on the forums somewhere and fell in love.

Not going to do it exactly - gonna move the black down a bit and make a few other adjustments AND I have a convertible so no roof to wrap. So my biggest pain will be the hood, trunk top and those are "relatively" flat. The frame around the windshield might be a pain but I'll drop the top and can work it from a few angles if I have to. It should be easy.

So 2 tone black on top, red on bottom. Now solid black rims. Maybe black out the horsy on the bumper and trunk (going for 0 chrome). Should look sharp I think. Probably a flat black would be best to match the convertible top.
16192447376_9ac34c5b07_b.jpg

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I used 3M 1080, yeah you can do it yourself, it doesn't take any special tools, but it is a PITA. I would not recommend it. As for durability, I've driven a few thousand miles and no scratches or anything. It hasn't stuck to concave surfaces very well, however.

Daryl152

Kill3r_Stang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost (IG:Kill3r_Stang)
If you don't know how to clean a wrap properly you can scratch it....I made some scratches on my 3m black gloss wrap. but other than that, 3M is really good.

I want to wrap my whole car excluding my roof, hood and trunk. Anyone know whats a good length? would 5x40ft work?

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
Can anyone recommend reputable wrap shops in the Chicago area?

Sponsored

Botlfed98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
my buddy owns CARTEKs in Schererville Indiana about 30 miles south of Chicago...he actually lives downtown his name is Louie, tell him Brandon referred you

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I used 3M 1080, yeah you can do it yourself, it doesn't take any special tools, but it is a PITA. I would not recommend it. As for durability, I've driven a few thousand miles and no scratches or anything. It hasn't stuck to concave surfaces very well, however.
the reason it wont stay in a concave area is because in those areas you have to feed the vinyl into the area. Most people lay it over the concave and heat and stretch into place. That will cause it to lift after some time because there is to much tension on the vinyl.

Traavis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
did you need any special tools to take the dash pieces off?