jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Hi everyone,

So my Goodyear F1 asymmetric all season tires have decided to wear out. I have been doing my research, but have only been left even more confused than before. So I am turning to everyone to see what they would all recommend I get tire wise. At the moment, I still have the stock tires on (235/50/18), but would like to go with a wider tread.

My budget is less than $1,000 including mounting, balance, and install.

Also, please be aware that the front end of the car is 1in lower and the rear is 1/2in lower. I already know that 245's will not work, so that just leaves me with 255s or higher (thinking 265/45/18 could be widest I could go but I have to check clearances)

I live in Sacramento, so the winters can get a little cold hear (below freezing on some nights, but that is not too common). I use the car mainly as a weekend driver for going through the twisty canyons and mountain passes, so I am looking for something that handles well in both dry and wet. However, I am trying to stay away from all season tires (which leaves summer tires only).

What would people recommend?

Many thanks,

Jason
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Probably the best value street tire available. Grip comparable to the very best in the max performance category, pliable enough in the cold to not have issues on a 30 deg morning, along with being quiet and comfortable.

Stock size on those wheels would honestly be best, as 255/45R18 will bulge quite a bit. They'll fit though. 235/50R18 are very inexpensive and great tires. [MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] has them in this size.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=35WR8FHI5XL&tab=Specs

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Probably the best value street tire available. Grip comparable to the very best in the max performance category, pliable enough in the cold to not have issues on a 30 deg morning, along with being quiet and comfortable.

Stock size on those wheels would honestly be best, as 255/45R18 will bulge quite a bit. They'll fit though. 235/50R18 are very inexpensive and great tires. [MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] has them in this size.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=35WR8FHI5XL&tab=Specs
i was looking at this combo. I have a couple of measurements and while this might be a little tight on the front steering clearance wise, I also think they would fit. Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking forward to more responses :)

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The recommended minimum rim width for a 255/45-18 tire is 8" which is the width of you stock wheels. They are also the same over all diameter as the stock 235/50-18 tire so you won't mess up the accuracy of the speedo.

The 265/45-18 has a minimum rim width requirement of 8.5" and is a size with limited tire choices.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Have to 2nd what Bmac noted with regards to the Firehawks. Great tire in our area. I have them on my 2015 GT/PP and they are a steal price and performance wise. Heavy rains will be fine has will the early morning cold. I've never had my car feel unsettled while driving it in the rain or cold mornings. Rear hasn't broke nor tried to slide out from under me. Summer, spirited driving, long haul road trips hours on end the tire just keeps on trucking.

Note1: I have not taken the car with said tires to the track so I can't say how they will do. Based on my driving today on the country roads around Napa to a couple fast jaunts through the Mojave desert the tire is above my driving skill...

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Have to 2nd what Bmac noted with regards to the Firehawks. Great tire in our area. I have them on my 2015 GT/PP and they are a steal price and performance wise. Heavy rains will be fine has will the early morning cold. I've never had my car feel unsettled while driving it in the rain or cold mornings. Rear hasn't broke nor tried to slide out from under me. Summer, spirited driving, long haul road trips hours on end the tire just keeps on trucking.

Note1: I have not taken the car with said tires to the track so I can't say how they will do. Based on my driving today on the country roads around Napa to a couple fast jaunts through the Mojave desert the tire is above my driving skill...
X3

It's been down in the low 30's the past couple weeks in the mornings and they hold up great.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well, this coming Wednesday I will get new shoes for the pony. Decided to go with 235/50/18s due to the fact that I will be saving $80. Found a shop that quoted me $630 out the door...so I am very pleased :). Will let people know my impressions once they are on. Thank you all so much for your help with this :)

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
So I have had these tires for just under 1 week and to say I am in love with them is an understatement. Man oh man, these things really grip. Handling is so much more responsive than the stock goodyear tires.

Highly highly recommend.

Surprisingly, they have performed well in temperatures that were below 32 degrees, but I was careful, but I believe these will work for me.

Thanks everyone for all of the help

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Surprisingly, they have performed well in temperatures that were below 32 degrees, but I was careful, but I believe these will work for me.

Thanks everyone for all of the help
Honestly, I'm stunned how well these grip in temps below 32 degrees. :headbang:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I bought Bridgestone S-04 pole position in 255/45/18's for the rear and 255/40/18's Firehawk's for the front. The 40 degree does not affect either as far as I can tell. Wider is better for the twisty's.

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Go Firestones as stated, cost effective, and performance effective as well.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Nitto Nt555 G2's, great tire for the price. Work pretty good down to 30deg but rain performance is disappointing

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I love my Firehawk Indy 500s. 10x better than the Pirellis A/S tires. I've even driving it down to 20-30 degrees and it grips fine. Some loss of traction is to expected at this temperature but it still I think grips better than the A/S Pirellis. In warm temperatures these trips really grip. I have probably 10,000 miles on them now and still grip very well. No noticable loss in traction except for the fact that it's cold now.

The JLT intake and Lund FF tune proves too much for the stock tires but these Firestone handle it MUCH better, even though I spin through 1st gear every time I go WOT. The shifts on the tune contribute to this. But tires spin and the car is easily reigned in. When these tires break loose in the corners it's fairly predictable too. In addition, these tires handle very well in the rain. WAY better than the stock tires. With stock tires I had to baby the car in every single turn and drive slow as crap. Now I can drive with confidence, but still have to be careful in use of the throttle. Hydroplaning is very minimal almost nonexistent. Feel much safer in this car driving through the rain. With stock tires it is scary having a car with this much power and weight in wet slippery weather.

Some wider tires would help me immensely which I will do soon but even in stock 235 size, these tires still kick ass. Totally happy with my purchase and I'll be buying more in the future.
Sponsored