Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
A buddy sent me a link to [what he says is] a nifty smartwatch. It's called:

LG Urbane 2nd Edition LTE LG-W200A Black Unlocked GSM

^ That's a copy&paste from that huge online retailer that sells books...in addition to goat castration equipment, rocket fuel, knives, and damn near everything else you could ever dream up to order online. :)

Anyway - I was surprised to see that it had a SIM card inside, which made me wonder if perhaps I have a misconception about smartwatches! I thought they were made to pair up with smartPHONES, and displayed text messages, rang when your phone rang, had 31 user-configurable screens etc. etc.. The common denominator being that they had to be paired up to -- and within a few meters of -- a smartphone. But they contain a SIM card?! Why?

Before you answer that, is the watch I described called something other than a smartwatch? (What?)

Back to the SIM card watch...

Does it come with its own SIM card? Do you clone your cellular account onto that second SIM? Surely the watch itself is not also a phone(?)

Please educate me!
Sponsored

Last edited:

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
I can’t speak for android watches - we’re an Apple house - but the latest Apple Watch can have an electronic SIM card. It’s built in ( not removable ) piggy backs on the phone’s phone #. Once you configure the watch with the phone, it can opporate on its own. Getting its own data for email, text messages, phone calls, etc...

So my use case is I can now leave my phone in the hotel room while at the pool on vacation and not worry about someone steeling my phone. Or working outside and not worry about the phone falling out of my pocket, or etc... hundred reasons why my watch is safe on my arm but it may not be a good place to have a phone on me.

There’s an extra charge for the SIM card - T-Mobile is 10$ / month and you can turn it on and off at will.

Doesn’t work for all apps - apps that need to get data from the phone will still need to be within Bluetooth range of the phone, but like Apple Music can stand on its own, outlook email, etc...

I’d assume some if not all android watches work similarly but android has a fragmentation issue so which ones work best -you’d have to research.

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium - Guard Metallic
My youngest had a problem controlling his urge to view "inappropriate" content on his smartphone so we took it away from him and replaced with a smart watch. It does in fact function as a phone, has its own number, can send text, etc....basically all the same functions as the old basic flip phones...just no Internet access.

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Thank you. So - a couple of absolutes for clarity:

1) I will absolutely positively NOT get rid of my iPhone.
2) I may occasionally drift further than 10m away from my iPhone, but it would be the exception - not the norm.
3) I want a smartwatch that can display interesting colors and a variety of face styles. I don't want to be stuck with just analog hands (or digits).
4) I cannot afford to pay anything extra per month to add a smartwatch to my communication equipment.
5) I could care less about fitness-tracking functions.
6) While I do want something decent (and water resistant) I do not intend to lay down upwards of two hundred bucks...much less three or four.

Ideally, (aside from #3) I want a device that will display incoming texts and e-mails, as well as "ring" when I get a call if I don't hear my phone.

Does such a watch exist? Is it correct to call it "a smartwatch"? or is there a different name that I'm not aware of?

I have learned that there is an Android app that can be installed on iOS in order for an iPhone owner to wear an Android watch, so at least that is not a restriction.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6

2) I may occasionally drift further than 10m away from my iPhone, but it would be the exception - not the norm.
3) I want a smartwatch that can display interesting colors and a variety of face styles. I don't want to be stuck with just analog hands (or digits).
4) I cannot afford to pay anything extra per month to add a smartwatch to my communication equipment.
6) While I do want something decent (and water resistant) I do not intend to lay down upwards of two hundred bucks...much less three or four.

Ideally, (aside from #3) I want a device that will display incoming texts and e-mails, as well as "ring" when I get a call if I don't hear my phone.

Does such a watch exist? Is it correct to call it "a smartwatch"? or is there a different name that I'm not aware of?

I have learned that there is an Android app that can be installed on iOS in order for an iPhone owner to wear an Android watch, so at least that is not a restriction.
Sounds to me like what you want then is more along the lines of a fancy fitbit. They will let you know if you get texts/phone calls. IIRC All smartwatches( Samsung Gear, Apple watch) will require like a $10 access charge to your phone bill if you want to be able to reply to stuff. I think there are a few android options that you can just buy that will display stuff but other than that you can't reply

Sponsored

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
Pretty much the only two items I've found are either an Apple watch or the Magellan Sport and they are both geared toward fitness. The Magellan is like 80-100 bucks and does allow you to start/stop music that is playing as well as function as a watch, but again....geared toward fitness related apps.

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
Sounds to me like what you want then is more along the lines of a fancy fitbit. They will let you know if you get texts/phone calls. IIRC All smartwatches( Samsung Gear, Apple watch) will require like a $10 access charge to your phone bill if you want to be able to reply to stuff. I think there are a few android options that you can just buy that will display stuff but other than that you can't reply
Oh yeah...I forgot about the FitBit "watches". Not sure what the price range is on those but again...primarily a fitness tracker with other functions.

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)

1 - there are other smart watches that work with iPhone - I had a martian (i think) once before apple watch came out and it was decent - think it was < 100 at Best Buy
2 - a watch without the cell service will be basically a time piece. eventually, you'll need to get back to the phone to sync or pull data :(
3 - My current watch face and bands I have attached - apple watch has a couple dozen faces to choose from, most of them are customizable color / complications
4 - you don't have to pay for cell service; but it's an option. the wife got apple watch 4 with cellular but never activated cellular
5 - so do I, but it's nice to have.
6 - look at a first or 2nd generation Apple Watch - those should be low 100s by now. We had original apple watches and upgraded this year - think she got $120 each for them on eBay.

"Ideally, (aside from #3) I want a device that will display incoming texts and e-mails, as well as "ring" when I get a call if I don't hear my phone."

Original Apple Watch will do this exactly. But - their old - what, 3 years now? Search eBay - you'll find them. Bands get from Amazon or such. Most of our bands are from Amazon. The silicon ones (the majority in my picture) - they fit pretty good, but not like an Apple one. Something about authentic apple bands - the silicon is nicer, it stays in the tracks better, etc... My white one is an Apple one, I've used it during remodeling, covered in old coal fire soot - used it landscaping - a little dish soap and rub it clean and it's just like new. Their pretty resilient. An Apple one is usually around $30 - $50, similar on Amazon you'll find them for $10

Apple Watch at least, is all about customizing the band. Hell, you can buy the anchors (how it attaches to the watch) and make your own our of wire, cord, leather, etc...
IMG_0650.PNG
IMG_3071.JPG

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Outstanding! Thank you VERY kindly for taking the time to put that together!

As you can tell, I have only recently become interested in this, so I am still very much on the steep uphill portion of the learning curve. But a picture has begun to emerge!

Regarding my proximity to my iPhone...

It will be within BT range 99% of the time; I do not want or expect to be using the watch as a phone. When you say:

"Original Apple Watch will do this exactly..."

Do you mean only the original? or does every revision of the Apple watch have this capability?

I'm sure the newest versions are too expensive, so I will take your advice and begin looking for a further-behind-the-bleeding-edge version.

If anyone else has anything to contribute - please do! I never stop learning!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
6 - look at a first or 2nd generation Apple Watch - those should be low 100s by now. We had original apple watches and upgraded this year - think she got $120 each for them on eBay.
I'd highly recommend a Series 2 (which will be more around $200 in 42mm in the used market or a really good sale price).

• Water resistance
  • Slightly faster CPU vs. the Series 1 (though they're both dual core, it later was revealed the S2 SIP is a touch quicker).
  • Better display (notably so outside)
  • Integrated GPS

It's MUCH faster than an original / Series 0 (actually both the Series 1 and 2)

FYI, the current model is the Series 3, and that's available in with or without LTE (it also has a faster CPU/GPU, and an altimeter, but the LTE is the big news).

Sponsored

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Outstanding! Thank you VERY kindly for taking the time to put that together!

As you can tell, I have only recently become interested in this, so I am still very much on the steep uphill portion of the learning curve. But a picture has begun to emerge!

Regarding my proximity to my iPhone...

It will be within BT range 99% of the time; I do not want or expect to be using the watch as a phone. When you say:

"Original Apple Watch will do this exactly..."

Do you mean only the original? or does every revision of the Apple watch have this capability?

I'm sure the newest versions are too expensive, so I will take your advice and begin looking for a further-behind-the-bleeding-edge version.

If anyone else has anything to contribute - please do! I never stop learning!
The newest one (what the wife and I have) - base model aluminum (in my photo) with LTE was $429 - grand scheme of things, not a lot of money considering we'll keep it for 2 or 3 years (assuming nothing OMG I NEED THAT comes out next year). And considering they still keep a decent resale value - it works out. If you can turn around and sell it for $100-$150 in a few years - now a $429 watch is closer to $250 / 300

Every watch is an improvement on the old one. So where the original / series 0 had wifi, so did the next ones. Each newer one was faster, etc... So an original (plus anything newer), so long as your in proximity of your phone:
Will get calls and you talk as if over speaker phone
text messages
emails
anything else an app may do

I know people say the original was NOT water proof but it was water resistant. We had the original for what, 2 years? (when ever it came out until this new one came out) and every vacation, wore it in the pool - pool was salt water (cancun and mandalay bay) and they were perfectly fine. Wipe off the salt when you get out of the pool, but never had an issue.

As MaskedRacerX said - the very newest - current watch
42mm (usually for men - wife wears the 38mm) -
Just wifi is $359
wifi + cellular - $429
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watc...preSelect=false&product=MQKU2LL/A&step=detail

At least with the wifi + cellular - you have the option. Don't need to turn it on if you don't want to, but at least you have it and you can if you need to. Say your phone died / got stolen / lost, whatever - you could still make a call through the watch without the phone if it has cellular.

And bands are bands. You could spend $10 on a band, you could spend $500 on a band. Same as anything else that can be customized.

If you and the significant other both get the same size, you can share bands! lol... Always hated the wife wears a 38mm - we both have half a dozen bands each. I'll wear a purple band with a pink shirt for easter brunch, lol...

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
One thing I'm having trouble finding online is...

Do these watches have 2 or 5 or 17 different face displays in their memory? Can I scroll thru them in the morning and choose one that reflects my mood that day? (or can they be downloaded like wallpaper?) And is there a dramatic difference between them? I always believed that a smartwatch could have black analog hands on a white background, or a multi-colored digital read-out, or a small digital time display superimposed over a full-screen picture of an oak tree or a sunset (or my S550) etc. etc.

Am I dreaming? Or do I need to buy an AMOLED? And/or spend $500+ on it?

Can anyone paste in a link that shows some of these features?

Thank you, gentlemen - I am learning!

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I wish you were local, I'm selling my Apple Watch 1st gen. I think it will do everything you want a watch to do.

You should be able to find an early model fairly cheap. Then you can play around with it and make sure its for you.

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
One thing I'm having trouble finding online is...

Do these watches have 2 or 5 or 17 different face displays in their memory? Can I scroll thru them in the morning and choose one that reflects my mood that day? (or can they be downloaded like wallpaper?) And is there a dramatic difference between them? I always believed that a smartwatch could have black analog hands on a white background, or a multi-colored digital read-out, or a small digital time display superimposed over a full-screen picture of an oak tree or a sunset (or my S550) etc. etc.

Am I dreaming? Or do I need to buy an AMOLED? And/or spend $500+ on it?

Can anyone paste in a link that shows some of these features?

Thank you, gentlemen - I am learning!
More images attached.

So the first 2 images are after force tapping on the main screen of the watch. The watch will hold / store how ever many pre-configured faces you want. Touching Customize lets you change specifics on the watch and you can change whatever the face allows you to change. Like the 2nd face let's you change hand color and the 3 complications it has.

The 3rd image is of the Watch config app on the phone. From there, you can sift through all the available faces, set them up and send them to the watch.

Back in the day when I was obsessive, I'd change the watch face color to match what I was wearing. Now a days, I just change the band I'm wearing if I'm going somewhere fancy.

There's probably a dozen+ faces to choose from. Don't forget - a face is just how it looks - be it hands or detailed or photos or etc... What complication a face has and shows is the furthest way to customize it. So my face has HomeKit access to turn on and off lights in the house, time, calendar, weather, activity and the watches battery % left - because those matter most to me.

Not sure what you mean by the AMOLED - the screen is Sapphire if I recall. Unless you hit it with a hammer, on your wrist no less, you should be good. I've worn the watch to many times during remodeling - basically throwing a hammer into plaster and lath walls as hard as I could 3000+ times per room and never had problems - or busting up bathroom tile with a jack hammer and it was still fine.

Apple's website is best for feature explanation - https://www.apple.com/watch/
a1.PNG
a2.PNG
a3.PNG

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Outstanding! Yup - that's what I'm looking for.

AMOLED is the type of screen (as opposed to the glass or crystal) I'm just learning, so I'm no expert...but apparently AMOLED is the cat's aft end.

Which model are those photos from?
Sponsored