Sponsored

OEM TPMS sensor swapping to new wheels. OEM TPMS gasket rebuild kits available?

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
Swapping my OEM TPMS sensors to new wheels. Just came from the Ford dealership where they stated there are no OEM gasket rebuild kits available. The only choices are a complete TPMS for $350 or just the valve stems for $280. Pretty sure were past April fools day. :frusty:

I will be selling the wheels the sensors are currently in so no need for another set of sensors.

Are the rubber gaskets on the stems non replaceable? OEM gasket rebuild kits available? :shrug:

Thanks for the assistance.

Mitch
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Are they a special sensor on the R?

I'm seeing you can buy a set of 4 on amazon that are 'genuine Ford' for $72 but I don't know the the R has something special going on.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
In most cases you can't really remove a valve stem from one wheel and put on another. Ford would sell the valve stems seperate from the sensors, but they are pricey because they are metal ones. you could in theory use "normal" rubber ones for TPMS (like $10)ea. to answer the question tho, they don't offer gaskets or rebuild kit, its either sensor and valve stem assembly, or valve stems only.

OP
OP
HR213

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they a special sensor on the R?

I'm seeing you can buy a set of 4 on amazon that are 'genuine Ford' for $72 but I don't know the the R has something special going on.

I don't believe there are any differences between the carbon/alum wheel TPMS. The OEM TMPS sensors in question are currently on an aftermarket set of aluminum wheels that will be swapped to another set of aluminum wheels.

The only variation I was told was there are 2 sets of TPMS sensors available that are based on frequency. Your VIN determines which one you need.

OP
OP
HR213

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the game plans is to re-use the sensors as they are.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In most cases you can't really remove a valve stem from one wheel and put on another. Ford would sell the valve stems seperate from the sensors, but they are pricey because they are metal ones. you could in theory use "normal" rubber ones for TPMS (like $10)ea. to answer the question tho, they don't offer gaskets or rebuild kit, its either sensor and valve stem assembly, or valve stems only.

I've switched over my TPMS sensors to a couple of different sets of wheels and it's been fine so far. Might because they're the metal ones? :shrug:

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I had my shop switch the sensors over no problems

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I've switched over my TPMS sensors to a couple of different sets of wheels and it's been fine so far. Might because they're the metal ones? :shrug:
Not sure, I suppose it’s possible to reuse them if careful...perhaps since the ones on most vehicles are cheap it’s SOP to put new ones in. Because of the price of the GT350 ones maybe it’s better to reuse them. Only issue with reuse is a risk of leakage....my intent of the post was less about a new vs old debate and more about answering OP question about gaskets/rebuild.
Sponsored