Sponsored

Do I need to break in my new 18...

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
I did baby my Boss when I first got it. It basically had no miles on it when I got it, no test drives allowed. I heard some of the guys who bought '12's had engines that were using oil. I drove it like a grandma the first 1000 miles or so, just for the heck of it. Figured I was keeping the car for a long time, so wanted to do everything I could to make it last. I have NO oil consumption and a car that has only need oil changes, tires and now, some new front brakes.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I did baby my Boss when I first got it. It basically had no miles on it when I got it, no test drives allowed. I heard some of the guys who bought '12's had engines that were using oil. I drove it like a grandma the first 1000 miles or so, just for the heck of it. Figured I was keeping the car for a long time, so wanted to do everything I could to make it last. I have NO oil consumption and a car that has only need oil changes, tires and now, some new front brakes.
And on the flip side, there will are GT350 owners who report they tracked the car immediately and have zero oil consumption.

This debate will never end.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
And on the flip side, there will are GT350 owners who report they tracked the car immediately and have zero oil consumption.

This debate will never end.
I doubt there will be many, if any, GT350 owners that have zero oil consumption. There are guys that check their oil and there is NONE.

Dave

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I would drive it normally but avoid full drag strip mode and a tune at least for 1k miles.

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thats how I run all of my new cars! The rings should already be seated from the factory. A couple of heat cycles and then drive like the performance car it is.
Agree with bluebeastsrt as I think Ford cold runs each engine prior to installation into the vehicle. I believe the fully assembled long block is rotated until the rings are seated. If I remember correctly, other measurements are also checked to include oil pressure and crank rotational resistance which also is an indication of proper assembly to include bearing clearances etc.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
you not only did good your my hero!!! and as far as the noises go,they just mean you haven't ran it hard enough..the more noises, the harder you push,it won't let ya down..i was at strip running 11's at 1500 miles

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
so you have a drag strip on your “private property” to hit 147mph?

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
and as far as the noises go,they just mean you haven't ran it hard enough..the more noises, the harder you push
Huh? Something seems amiss with this train of thought....

Sponsored

GOTdaBLACK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, Shadow Black, MT82D4, PP1
Jut got a 2018 mustang GT 10 speed. kind of did line lock at the dealership as well as hit 147 mph at the straight away on my private property. I currently have 112 miles. Did i possibily mess anything up? Also since the day I picked up car, sometimes it'll start up kind of rough. Most of the time its fine. any input?
Currently at 2200 miles. I have a had the same issue at start up. I have noted (1) never on a cold start. (2) rough for less than ten seconds. I am curious as to the cause. As far as break-in. I have broken all my new vehicles in the same manner: drive her like you stole her. :cool:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
so you have a drag strip on your “private property” to hit 147mph?
I wondered the same thing. How far does a Mustang need to cross 147 ? 1/2 mile ? 1 mile ? Usually that much private property is dirt / gravel roads.

RLMJR58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, pp, Kona Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Breaking in covers the whole vehicle. Settling in so to speak. This is also a bit of breaking in for the driver. Not everyone can drive every vehilce “like you stole it” and keep the shinny side up. Drive it the way you feel it should be done. I tend to drive my new vehicles a bit gingerly to begin with but with some spirited bursts from the beginning just not thrashing on it. This is how I prefer to do it and so far so good for me.

OP
OP
dhaliwal559

dhaliwal559

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 Speed Race Red
I wondered the same thing. How far does a Mustang need to cross 147 ? 1/2 mile ? 1 mile ? Usually that much private property is dirt / gravel roads.
Our farm area in Central Valley.
Sponsored