Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Coming from owning an S197 I was all to familiar with the BBQ tick those 5.0s had and I think on my first oil change i got it on the S550.

Took it in this morning to change the oil after 2500 miles, went to full synthetic at the Ford dealership. After getting home i heard what i thought was a faint ticking, but shrugged it off thinking no way.

Started the car up later that day, had a semi cold start and it started ticking heavily. Sounded just like the S197 BBQ ticks we've all heard so much about.

What boggles me is i cant get it replicate under forward driving. When in neutral its hit or miss, but when in reverse and feathering the clutch up the hill into the driveway at about 1200 RPM its like a firecracker.

I took it back to the dealership just a few hours ago but couldn't replicate the issue at idle - only learned when coming back home that when the car is in reverse the problem is very evident.

its a 6 speed performance pack mustang GT with 2500 on the dash.

Any other people experiencing this? I find it very odd that it occurred right after the oil change.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Nope, nada.

Changed my oil at 997 miles with the local Ford dealership. Went with Motorcraft 5W-20 full synthetic and Motorcraft filter. This was back on Dec 22, 2014. Now have 4k miles and no tick.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
How in the world does just changing the oil make a motor all of a sudden tick? All I can think that might cause that is the hydraulic lifters somehow loose oil and never purge out an air bubble that might have got in them. Very strange ... :shrug:

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
How in the world does just changing the oil make a motor all of a sudden tick? :
Not entirely sure GT Pony - I do not think they entirely found the solution on the older S197 mustang motors. A lot of them had their short blocks replaced after many other small components.

The service receipt they gave me states the following for replacement:

Installed AA5Z 6714 A: Filter ASY - Oil (1)
Installed XO 5W20 QFS: MOTORCRAFT SAE 5W20 API GF (8qts)

Checked the oil level and it seems to be in range - probably the clearest oil i've ever seen too.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Started it up this morning and got the tick, this time I had my camera ready.

here is what I saw/heard.

[ame]

It seems to be even louder when the AC is kicked on as you can see the better half doing. When it turns off toward the end of the video it quiets down but still ticks very very quietly (not the lifters, those I hear)

Thoughts?

Its going to the dealership Monday after work - heres to hoping it isn't as bad as I think it is.

Sponsored

Maistroyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium
That's exactly how my 2011 F350 powerstroke sounds after I change the oil. It goes away after about 1000 miles after the oil change. I took it to the dealer and was told that it's normal, they even showed me a tsb from Ford saying that there's nothing wrong and to not attempt repair. Do a search for powerstroke typewriter noise and you can read all about it. I personally hate the tick and don't believe that it's ok. They just want to save money. Tons of powerstroke owners on the ford truck forum also have the tick. I hate to say but they're probably going to tell you it's normal.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Man that is unfortunate they fed you that BS instead of owning up the issue. Did you do the oil change yourself? Was it still under warranty? Thanks for input though maistroyda.

We will see what they say when I take it in but if they say anything other than yes we will fix it I will not accept the answer. This car did not tick when i bought it and should never tick during the life of the car. It is the most embarrassing thing ever when sitting at a light and all you hear over the stock exhaust is a ticking slap from upfront - really screams performance.

If I did the oil change I could understand them having some leverage as I may have not put 8qts in but the fact that I paid them to do this makes me furious.

See what they say on Monday...

Maistroyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium
I changed the oil myself, but that's not the issue. They didn't even ask if I did. The truck is still under warranty. Mine didn't have the tick either when I bought it. I know how embarrassing it is having a $60k truck making a noise that sounds like the engine is shot. On the plus side, it's still a beast.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I changed the oil myself, but that's not the issue. They didn't even ask if I did. The truck is still under warranty. Mine didn't have the tick either when I bought it. I know how embarrassing it is having a $60k truck making a noise that sounds like the engine is shot. On the plus side, it's still a beast.
Exactly my point - the stang wasn't quite a 60k beast but I still expect a level of performance with it, not including a tick. I read around the forums regarding the powerstroke ticks and it seems way more widespread than the 5.0s. Seemed a few people put in 5w40 hd oil in and improved drastically. Not sure if the same theory can be said for mine.

My big woe is with the car being so young what can this do long term to her.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
well that's something, the first s550 w/ the BBQ early oil change tick on video. sorry to hear..

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's gotta be something associated with the hydraulic lifters I would think. Can't imagine anything else being effected by a simple oil change.

I wonder if these guys who get the tick after an oil change are letting the oil drain over night or for a long period of time, which could cause some of the lifters to drain down?

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
well that's something, the first s550 w/ the BBQ early oil change tick on video. sorry to hear..
Seems to be. kind of a disappointing first.

I just pulled my window sticker and it looks like she was built on 10/7/14 assuming the last bit of information in the "item #" box details the build information.

Will post more as I know more.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems to be. kind of a disappointing first.

I just pulled my window sticker and it looks like she was built on 10/7/14 assuming the last bit of information in the "item #" box details the build information.

Will post more as I know more.
I think the real build date is at the top of the window sticker where it says "blend". If it shows something like 120150204 it would be Feb 4, 2015 for example.

Format is 1YYYYMMDD

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I was close, it was built on 10/14/14.

The window sticker I got with the car didn't have the blend on it, I had to go look it up online by vin...odd.

From what i've read it sounds as if mustangs built around that time frame are from the first production run of them.