hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I have a suddden dislike of you and your superior fuel :paddle:
Yes, 20+ degrees from the deep end.
Twat. :cheers:

its ok now you know how i feel when yanks go on about E85 !
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Most servo's (petrol stations) sell 98 which is 93-94US according to the internet.
well unless you record octanes differently over there

https://www.shell.com.au/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-v-power-premium-fuels/shell-v-power-98.html 98 oct road fuel :)

you'll notice the UK equiv doesn't mention octane or ron at all any more they don't want us to know just how shit the fuel they give us is
https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-v-power/shell-v-power-unleaded.html but I believe its like 98 ron which is like 92.6 octane or something like that

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Most servo's (petrol stations) sell 98 which is 93-94US according to the internet.
You’re correct, however
The internet doesn’t know that depending on state, the 93 in the US could actually be better than that.
Meanwhile, we struggle to get 98 that’s actually 98.
Ergo: you ask for a 93 tune from the US and they very quickly start worrying that your fuel is crap when you send the logs back... asking you to put octane booster in it etc...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
After battling with a SERIOUSLY laggy throttle for quite some time, it’s finally resolved.
I was half right, half wrong.
My TB was outside the spec supplied by Whipple (not found in the instructions of course, only available from the website, under attachments, when you look at the 132mm elliptical TB of course. Where else would you put such vital information?)

Instead of a 0.7 second delay, the throttle is now well connected to the pedal.

What was making it seem worse was that quite often the bypass valve would shut, bringing on boost at the same time that the TB finally caught up to the pedal command...
Gave the feeling of a really laggy turbo. Horrible.

Tuning is complete according to Brandon from Lund.
Based on the logs I’ve seen from other Aussie cars, I’d really like to get a little more spark advance into it, particularly in the lower rev range. Third gear roll-on skids is what this is all about.

For the benefit of anyone attempting to calibrate the TB at home, here’s this

Sponsored

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear you got it sorted. I've seen your handle pop up all over the forum! Good stuff.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear you got it sorted. I've seen your handle pop up all over the forum! Good stuff.
Lol. I’ve been VERY busy..
Cheers mate. :cheers:

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic 6 Spd Manual
Thanks for sharing your experience Burkey - the big question is - what did it cost you all up?

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing your experience Burkey - the big question is - what did it cost you all up?
All good mate. Happy to share. :thumbsup:
With a little rounding here and there...

Stage 2 “parts kit” including 132mm TB and oversized Heat Exchanger, including taxes (they caught up with me) $5400
Almost new Gen 2 blower (checked over by Whipple tech) $2700
95lb DW injectors $770
Plugs $100
Tune $550 (existing customer)
Fluids and sundries $300
Total just under $10k

Add UPR catch can $330
DW400 fuel pump $300
VMP IAT2 harness $135
Boundary OPG/CS $400
PBD boost brace $270
ARP crank bolt $80
Plus some shipping on some of that.
Call that lot $1600

No matter how you look at it, I got it done, with all the bells and whistles for under $12k

Compare that with local pricing for laughs. :D

Made 466rwkw on the rollers recently on the 3.75” pulley. Not that I care for dyno sheets that much. The strip will tell the story when I can get it there.

Lund have declared the tune complete but in all honesty, it needs some work.
Timing is pretty slow to come in at the deep end, finally ramping in quite aggressively.

How that pans out in the real world is a car that doesn’t like to pull hard at say 2000rpm in third, but by the time it gets to 3500, the traction control can’t deal with it properly. Make no mistake, it’s still much quicker than stock from low revs.
It’s probably ideal (ish) on the strip, but no good to me trying to steer the car with the throttle. I’d prefer if it just blew the tyres off from the get go.
It’s kinda like driving a laggy turbo.

Having said that, the mid-range and above are ballistic. I tried the passenger seat recently and it’s GENUINELY scary. Very few cars will pin you into the seat like this. It’s not a 1000cc sports bike, but it’s damn quick.
The biggest shame is having to change gears. It just pulls harder and harder as it approaches 7500. I may even ask for an 8k limiter. It’s just relentless.

I’ll be giving Lund a decent chance to fix the tune before I move on to other strategies.
At this stage I think I’ve been pretty nice about it and I’d like to think they can get it sorted. It’s what they do.

Below is a comparison of the acceleration.
My NA with headers, 3” catback, e85 race tune (super aggressive off the bottom) and PMAS vs Whipple on 98 RON and 3.75” pulley.
Both cars in third gear. Note, the NA had a slight gearing advantage too via smaller diameter tyres.
3.625” pulley on its way. MOAR BOOST. :headbang:
0349D90D-C2E9-476A-B811-11353DAB6DAF.jpeg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The reaction is priceless.
Worth every dollar.

Sponsored

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
The reaction is priceless.
Worth every dollar.

Hey !!!! Great !!!

So you probably didn't really need your "Whine Sound Mod" just need to keep playing -

:eyebulge::eyebulge: "Jeeeeeeeeezus" :eyebulge::eyebulge:

.....it sounds much, much better :amen:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey !!!! Great !!!

So you probably didn't really need your "Whine Sound Mod" just need to keep playing -

:eyebulge::eyebulge: "Jeeeeeeeeezus" :eyebulge::eyebulge:

.....it sounds much, much better :amen:
Agreed! :lol:

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic 6 Spd Manual
Thanks for sharing the costs and outcomes. You certainly saved a shed load and have built a serious weapon. I was looking at something milder and easier to drive on the road. I was hoping the whipple would give it more low down grunt to compliment the power it makes up top. :cheers:

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What state are you in? If you're VIC, specifically Melbourne, there is a mob in the north west that have been highly recommended and tuned quite a few supercharged stangs. Apparently overcome the GT350 throttle body issue a lot of other tuners here have struggled with too

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Well kids don't lie and their reaction says it all , must be good !
That's great Brother.
Sponsored