Sponsored

2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

93tankus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2
Hi everyone,

I know this has been covered in other threads a bit, but I thought I would create a thread dedicated to this topic.

I tracked my 2018 GT PP2 this past weekend. The ambient temps were warm - probably around 90 degrees.

I was able to do 3-5 laps before the rear differential temperature warning came on. I'm looking to correct this issue, and am looking for insight/feedback. So far, I've seen the following ideas:

- Replace diff oil with higher viscosity 75W-140. Also introduce exhaust wrap around the pipes that are near the IRS diff unit itself. Any downsides to introducing this oil?

- Install dedicated differential cooler. So far, I've come across the Full Tilt Boogie unit for around $700. There also the Ford Performance GT350 unit, which is quite a bit more from what I've seen (2K). Any other units out there?

Obviously, the cooler would be the optimal avenue. But I'm trying to look at cheaper-yet-effective options before I get there.

I don't plan on tracking all that much - maybe a few days out of the year. I would, however, like to participate fully in those trackday events without having to deal with this issue.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you've got a handle on it.

The oil viscosity change may not help cooling much, but it should help the oil continue to lubricate well at higher temps. I've also heard that the exhaust wraps shouldn't do much, but still it can't hurt.

The other factor we suspect is if you're running with traction control on or off, it may have an effect on how hard the diff is working. Obviously, if you need the traction control, don't turn it off.

FWIW, my car has never shown the temp warning with Redline 75w140, exhaust wrapped, and no nannies, but YMMV.

If you really want to solve it the right way, an oil cooler is what you need. Since you aren't going to track more than a few times a year, you could try just the viscosity change and wraps, but there is no guarantee those will solve it for you.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Anyone make a finned differential cover yet?

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
at what temp does the warning trip? can you bypass the sensor or trick it.

OP
OP

93tankus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2
I haven’t found a finned cover, yet.

I believe the warning comes on around 280? Car goes into limp mode around 300 degrees?

You could just unplug the sensor, but I’d rather have a remedy in place instead of ignoring the issue.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
unplug sensor and change oil after tracking.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
unplug sensor and change oil after tracking.
I think I would rather know when my diff is approaching critical... cheaper then locking it up and crashing you car.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I think I would rather know when my diff is approaching critical... cheaper then locking it up and crashing you car.
ok cool so pony up the $700+ or run it without the sensor and take your chances. Not much else you can do at this point.

FWIW some GT350 guys claim good 75-140 will help keep the temps down.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ok cool so pony up the $700+ or run it without the sensor and take your chances. Not much else you can do at this point.

FWIW some GT350 guys claim good 75-140 will help keep the temps down.

Well when you get the warning you can at least slow down and run a cooling lap. They heavier weight oil will slow the heat soak some and provide more protection at the higher temp. Wont keep the heat down...will just take longer to get hot.

Kinda surprised nobody has at least made a finned cover or some type of cooler yet.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Diff cooler kit option: http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/S550_diff_cooler_kit.html

Also you may be able to convince OPMustang to sell you a kit. Or Steeda, maybe.

BG 74W140 gear oil gives me a little more time, but I still get the warning every track day multiple times.

I have learned that it's better I develop my skills with precision laps, then capture a couple fast ones in the middle of the session, then cool it down. You save money on consumables, you don't beat the living poop out of your car, and you reduce risk.

Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium

I wish man because I would jump on one. Ford made one with some fins for the GT500 soooooo commmmee oooonnnn Ford.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Obviously, the cooler would be the optimal avenue. But I'm trying to look at cheaper-yet-effective options before I get there.
Worst case, the viscosity change and the wrapping doesn't fully solve your problem and you end up with a cooler. The viscosity change and wrapping are still going to be good things.

Norm

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did some research last night. Setting up even a passive cooler for these cars looks doable...very doable and without spending 800 bucks. I don't see why you would need anything beyond passive cooling unless your driving a full time racecar. Even the 350's don't have active coolers. Might be my next project, get some mesurements and find a few airflow areas that wont get in the way of anything.

OP
OP

93tankus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2
Did some research last night. Setting up even a passive cooler for these cars looks doable...very doable and without spending 800 bucks. I don't see why you would need anything beyond passive cooling unless your driving a full time racecar. Even the 350's don't have active coolers. Might be my next project, get some mesurements and find a few airflow areas that wont get in the way of anything.
Yea, I'm all for trying this idea out! I think my first step will be to switch over to 75W140 and wrap the nearby exhaust with wrap. If there is a way to divert some air through this area, that would be great.

Let me know what you come up with if you decide to go that route!

Thanks!

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
I haven’t found a finned cover, yet.

I believe the warning comes on around 280? Car goes into limp mode around 300 degrees?

You could just unplug the sensor, but I’d rather have a remedy in place instead of ignoring the issue.
I wish man because I would jump on one. Ford made one with some fins for the GT500 soooooo commmmee oooonnnn Ford.
Wonder if these guys could do it for you: https://www.focusrs.org/forum/16-focus-rs-performance/40217-diff-s-hot-take-easy-mishimoto-s-focus-rs-rear-diff-cooler-r-d-33.html
Sponsored