Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune and Engine Code P0301

eco16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
A few days ago, I put my 2016 ecoboost mustang in reverse and it started to violently vibrate. I knew I could not drive it so put it back in park and the vibration stopped. I put it back in reverse and everything was fine.

Now 2 days later, same exact thing happened. Each time, so far, this occurs when cold starting the engine. My car has 35,400 miles, right under warranty and also has ford performance tune.

Car now has check engine light with code P0301.

Although it could be a few different things, would ford install new spark plugs that I have purchased or do they have to be ford approved? Also thinking about getting extended warranty now that warranty is about to expire. Is that possible with the ford performance tune? Should I be looking at a trade-in? In respect to the tune, will the tune have to be reintalled and do they need to know about the ford approved tune before changing spark plugs? Few months ago they had to install new evap coil for AC.
Sponsored

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
If it is warranty work I would suspect the dealership to only replace the spark plugs as well as any other warranty covered item with OEM parts.

As for the FPP tune/CAI kit it is could simply be a crap throw since FPP only extends their coverage for the 36/36000 bumper to bumper warranty. The balance of the 5/60,000 could be voided due to the installation of a performance tune during the 36/36 coverage.

This would also apply to the purchase of any aftermarket extended warranty including the Ford ESP. They would most likely sell you the extended warranty only to deny a claim due to the tune.

Guess, if it were me, I would take care of what warranty issues were needed before hitting that 36/36,000 threshold. After that assume that I was on my own, but should a problem arise I would take it into the dealership and hope that they will warranty the problem.

It won't be long before the 2019 models are hitting dealer lots, maybe it's time to save a bundle on a non current model year mustang.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
Thats a cylinder 1 misfire, i would take it to the dealer. No they wont change to a plug you bought

OP
OP

eco16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
They called and said they replaced fuel pressure sensor. Is that related to P0301?

Also confirmed no extended warranty option for ford performance tune.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
They called and said they replaced fuel pressure sensor. Is that related to P0301?

Also confirmed no extended warranty option for ford performance tune.
Correct, the FP tune warranty only covers any 3/36 you have left at install (assuming installed by dealer or ase tech)

First dealer replace fuel pressure sensor i have seen (assume lowside) ?

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Also thinking about getting extended warranty now that warranty is about to expire. Is that possible with the ford performance tune?
As others have noted, you can't purchase an extended warranty with a tune installed, but here's another idea. Most people can't afford to purchase an extended warranty outright, which means financing. Instead of making a monthly payment towards a warranty (and interest on the loan) make a monthly contribution in an interest-bearing account. Take out what you need to cover inexpensive repairs, or pay for those out of pocket and leave your savings for catastrophic repairs. If you wind up requiring a catastrophic repair you'll have whatever is in your account to offset the expense--depending on when it happens you may have enough to cover it all. If you never need to use the money before you trade in your car--which is the most likely event--then you have a nice down payment, and you didn't give away your money.

If you have enough money on hand to purchase an extended warranty outright then just put it all in an interest-bearing account right now. Make a small monthly contribution to build it up, and you're covered.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Warranty may not cover a blown engine for the remainder 5/60 depending on the dealer or what they determine to be the cause but an extended warranty will cover other costly repairs like the infamous A/C compressor which runs into the 2k range and other failures like Fuel pump going bad, so it might be worth forking up around 500 bucks to extend other potential failures within at least that period. Analyzing Ford further and comparisons I am clearly seeing how they are a lowest bidder for parts and cut corners however possible with QC being non existent. This will definitely be my last Ford.
Sponsored