Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I've been getting my oil changed at the dealership, as I got a maintenance program when I purchased my 2017 GT PP. There's been a slow oil leak since the last change, and it's leaking down the side of the filter and dripping on the oil filter door. Would this happen if they over-tighten the filter? :doh:

If I loosen the filter and hand-tighten it, would it be enough to fix the leak, or will I need to replace the filter? I can't really inspect the filter gasket without completely removing it.

If I need a new filter, can I remove the current filter without draining the majority of the oil?
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I would remove the filter and make sure the rubber gasket on the filter is not damaged. You will lose a little bit of oil maybe half quart or so at most but not all the oil. Perhaps others can jump in and confirm this as well.

Good luck!

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
If the dealership changed it...take it back! incase there is more damage then just the filter

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
If the dealership changed it...take it back! incase there is more damage then just the filter
Take it back to the dealer so they can document and fix the leak to prevent further issues. I'm sure you could do it yourself, but let them handle the oil mess. No need for you to get dirty.

OP
OP
Canoman

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Resurrecting this thread from the dead. I took it back to the dealer, they looked at it and said they couldn't find the leak. The 10" diameter oil spot in my garage begs to differ. Since taking it in for the leak, it's had the oil changed again, and it's still leaking in the same spot. Not quite sure what's happening here, or what to do next.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Can you tell where that spot is? Take the bottom pan off and see where it's dripping from.
I have heard that the valve cover gaskets can leak.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Resurrecting this thread from the dead. I took it back to the dealer, they looked at it and said they couldn't find the leak. The 10" diameter oil spot in my garage begs to differ. Since taking it in for the leak, it's had the oil changed again, and it's still leaking in the same spot. Not quite sure what's happening here, or what to do next.
Hey OP, If you haven't got it fixed yet, does your oil filter assembly look like this?
20191108_165425.jpg

20191108_165642.jpg

If so, it may be a faulty/defective/broken Oil Filter Adapter.
SA380_FULLBOOK_FordCoyote_Page_036_Image_0005.jpg

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
The oil cooler on my 2013 was leaking as well. I finally tried to tighten oil cooler bolt inside where filter goes and leak went away. Haven't changed oil on 2019 yet.

Karavel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kara
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack Ruby Red
Hey OP, If you haven't got it fixed yet, does your oil filter assembly look like this?
20191108_165425.jpg

20191108_165642.jpg

If so, it may be a faulty/defective/broken Oil Filter Adapter.
SA380_FULLBOOK_FordCoyote_Page_036_Image_0005.jpg
Mine looks like this, I checked to see if there is oil aove the area at all and nothing valve covers are fine. Looks like maybe it leaks from between the oil cooler and engine block. Maybe I will try to tighten the bolt holding the cooler on when I change the filter or maybe it has a gasket that's bad

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Could also be a loose oil pressure sensor. It sits just above the filter and other members have indicated that theirs backed out slightly over time. There is an alignment mark on the sensor bolt so if you can get eyes or a camera on it you’d be able to tell if it backed out at all. Their filters looked very similar to those posted above.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Mine looks like this, I checked to see if there is oil aove the area at all and nothing valve covers are fine. Looks like maybe it leaks from between the oil cooler and engine block. Maybe I will try to tighten the bolt holding the cooler on when I change the filter or maybe it has a gasket that's bad
The adapter has been known to leak/fail and it's covered under your powertrain warranty.
It's definitely worth taking in and having it serviced if that is the case.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had two oil leaks from that area. Both times they thought it was the cooler, but both times replacing that didn’t fix it because the leak was actually at the pressure sensor gasket.

OP
OP
Canoman

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Been a while on this, but it was my oil pressure sensor. I took it out, sealed the threads and put it back in. No more leak.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Glad you figured it out and it was an easy fix!
Sponsored