2020 Mach 1!

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
THE reason why Tesla had to use Model 3. Ford would not let go of the trademark rights to Model E.

Tesla was going for Model S Model E Model X and Model Y. Elon, you nasty boy!
Now it'll be just:
Model S Model 3 Model X and Model Y....

However at this moment the lineup is:
S3X
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You beat me to it :)

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180618/OEM04/180619771/lincoln-corsair-mkc

Without going off topic, I like the name Corsair. It was last used here in the UK on a re-styled Ford Cortina. Whilst I have no objection to this being used for the MKC replacement, I'd rather it was the rumoured Lincoln-Stang. I still think a next-gen based luxury Lincoln 2-door coupe would be a great halo-car for them.

But, in a world where Ford might be prepared to throw away the Mach 1 name on an EV SUV, I really can't see it happening :( The one glimmer of hope is that the above article mentions a suicide door Continental, so perhaps rumours of the current Continental's death are premature. If a next-gen Continental could share the CD6 RWD architecture.........

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, interesting. Maybe Ford listened to the backlash and decided to name the electric mustang Mach 1 while naming the SUV something else... after all, they DID say they were just testing the waters with the name for an SUV

Sponsored

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Maverick seems a good name for a small SUV, and it's ben used in overseas markets for such in previous years. I do so hope Ford has paid attention and puts the Mach 1 name where it rightfully belongs, and not on the bathroom door.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Hmm, interesting. Maybe Ford listened to the backlash and decided to name the electric mustang Mach 1 while naming the SUV something else... after all, they DID say they were just testing the waters with the name for an SUV
I don't think they did, "Mach 1" is still the name they "tested" for the electric crossover (There's not any good source confirming otherwise). Also, the "electric Mustang" is nothing but a rumor.

Maverick seems a good name for a small SUV, and it's ben used in overseas markets for such in previous years. I do so hope Ford has paid attention and puts the Mach 1 name where it rightfully belongs, and not on the bathroom door.
Me too.... I just hope they don't use it at all.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I don't think they did, "Mach 1" is still the name they "tested" for the electric crossover (There's not any good source confirming otherwise). Also, the "electric Mustang" is nothing but a rumor.

Me too.... I just hope they don't use it at all.
Depends on whether we’re talking “electric” or “electrified”. A hybrid Mustang, which Ford has already said WILL happen, would be considered electrified.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think a hybrid mustang being called "Mach 1" would be awesome... much better than "Mustang Hybrid"

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
the electric mustang
Depends on whether we’re talking “electric” or “electrified”. A hybrid Mustang, which Ford has already said WILL happen, would be considered electrified.
Exactly, I said about it being a rumor since jake_zx2 mentioned an "electric" Mustang (as in Battery Electric Vehicle ala "Tesla"). The Mustang will be FHEV (or PHEV depending if it's plug in or not).

I'd love to see a Hybrid Mustang called Mach 1, but most likely they will use the "PowerBoost" moniker as someone suggested in here.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly, I said about it being a rumor since jake_zx2 mentioned an "electric" Mustang...
Sorry, I was referring to the electric *assisted* mustang that we all know about

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I have a feeling this is a play for secrecy and to bring along the Mustang faithful: What's worse than an electric/hybrid Mustang: and electric/hybrid Mustang that's not even a Mustang! Then when they release the Mach 1, and it turns out to be a very efficient car that stomps about everything on the road, even the V8 purists can get behind it. Does anyone know if the new 10 speed has provisions for electrification?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I have a feeling this is a play for secrecy and to bring along the Mustang faithful: What's worse than an electric/hybrid Mustang: and electric/hybrid Mustang that's not even a Mustang! Then when they release the Mach 1, and it turns out to be a very efficient car that stomps about everything on the road, even the V8 purists can get behind it. Does anyone know if the new 10 speed has provisions for electrification?
It does. Expect that the F-150 Hybrid and the Mustang Hybrid will both be based off the 10AT.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have a feeling this is a play for secrecy and to bring along the Mustang faithful: What's worse than an electric/hybrid Mustang: and electric/hybrid Mustang that's not even a Mustang! Then when they release the Mach 1, and it turns out to be a very efficient car that stomps about everything on the road, even SOME OF the V8 purists can get behind it. Does anyone know if the new 10 speed has provisions for electrification?
Fixed. The problem is that some of the V8 purists are also ICE purists. 99% of the time I can't use the speed, but I can always hear a great sounding engine.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
it's entirely feasible to do a V8 hybrid - it may not happen, but the transmission coupled to them is set for electrification, so... maybe a 918-style Mustang? It may not happen, but that would be cool.
Sponsored