Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
+18 and +22!!! Ouch. Have you checked your fuel pressure with a gauge? Mine are mostly negative with the new tune.

John
I have not put that is on my radar. My car is a 17 with 20k on the odo so I would hope the pump is ok.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Well I just made a 200 mike trip. The new tune feels better but oddly my ltft is still 5% higher on bank 1 than bank 2 and that would be +22 bank 1 and +18 bank 2. The tune feels much better but another odd thing it did is about 150 miles into the trip is started acting like I had 20% on all gears it would ot huild more than 3-4 lb of boost. I atopped and shitdowncrhe car restarts and did the same thing. All I could do to get it back was reflash with the old tune and then put the new tune back on. After that it kept giving me steering errrs and drive mode:steering feel were locked out. Restarting gbthexsr againa took care of that but then my external ambient temp sensor was stuck at 50 on a day when it was 80. It started working on its own 30 minutes later. Excuse typos. Fat fingers and small phone . I think, after me smoke testing it twice and a shop doing it once with no leaks, either the injectors are not matched or they have issues.
Reflashing doesn’t fix an issue, do you have knock limiting on? Sounds like it is and it limited throttle.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Reflashing doesn’t fix an issue, do you have knock limiting on? Sounds like it is and it limited throttle.
Knock limiting is off only power limits programmed are 15% 1st 10% 2nd. I have the new tune on now and it is acting fine we will see if it happens again on the return trip it was just odd it had been boosting just fine and I went to pass a guy downshifted and felt almost stock at first I thought maybe my belt was slipping but that wasn’t it.

Aeronaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just made a 200 mike trip. The new tune feels better but oddly my ltft is still 5% higher on bank 1 than bank 2 and that would be +22 bank 1 and +18 bank 2. The tune feels much better but another odd thing it did is about 150 miles into the trip is started acting like I had 20% on all gears it would ot huild more than 3-4 lb of boost. I atopped and shitdowncrhe car restarts and did the same thing. All I could do to get it back was reflash with the old tune and then put the new tune back on. After that it kept giving me steering errrs and drive mode:steering feel were locked out. Restarting gbthexsr againa took care of that but then my external ambient temp sensor was stuck at 50 on a day when it was 80. It started working on its own 30 minutes later. Excuse typos. Fat fingers and small phone . I think, after me smoke testing it twice and a shop doing it once with no leaks, either the injectors are not matched or they have issues.
This exact thing happened to me. New tune felt great for the 1st 100 or so miles on a spirited drive. Then all of the sudden power was way down. I started to experience stumble/hesitation on tip in on 5th and 6th gear and boost went way down. With the windows down I can now hear a whistle when it should be getting into boost. Never heard that whistle before. All hoses appear to still be in place. Took it out again today and sure enough it is still running like crap now. Still have the whistle and little boost. And a terrible stumble on tip in, especially in the taller gears. I did do a crank relearn and knock limiting is off. I'm on 92 octane and it was about 45 degrees out both days. 3.75 pulley.

My theory is the bypass valve is getting stuck open for whatever reason.

I am going back to the previous tune until this problem gets worked out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Updated tunes are posted on the server for the 2015 and 2016 manual trans Mustangs. 2017 is coming soon.

Instructions:
Download latest version of flare software. Go to the flare program, use your previous voucher number and download an updated file using your previous log in information. Use this file to flash/update your vehicle. It will go through a full read/flash so it is best to put it back to stock first, then flash with this updated file so its easier to revert back if needed later. Your Flight control features will stay as is, you do not need to readjust them.

Updated version of flare:
http://www.micromotive.net/Whipple_Flare_2.93_Setup.exe

How do we put it back to stock first? Couldn't find an option for that with the latest version of Flare. I flashed the new tune over the old one and it seemed to work ok. Do I need to redo something?

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Well the low boost issue happen to me twice on the way home today about every 100 miles. I have a couple catalogs of me nailing it in 6th with 4lb of boost and have not reflashed in. See whipple would like anything else.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
How do we put it back to stock first? Couldn't find an option for that with the latest version of Flare. I flashed the new tune over the old one and it seemed to work ok. Do I need to redo something?
If you downloaded the latest .flare file you will need to open your old .flare file to have the restore option show up right under the program option. The new file will not have your saved stock tune in it if you flash it over your current Whipple tune.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Well the low boost issue happen to me twice on the way home today about every 100 miles. I have a couple catalogs of me nailing it in 6th with 4lb of boost and have not reflashed in. See whipple would like anything else.
Do you have a 2017?

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
If you downloaded the latest .flare file you will need to open your old .flare file to have the restore option show up right under the program option. The new file will not have your saved stock tune in it if you flash it over your current Whipple tune.
Thanks, yeah, I just figured this out. For anyone who did what I did, you can reverse it by restoring from the current tune back to the old tune. Then open the old tune and restore again to get back to your stock tune. From there, you will be ready to load the new tune again, and it will have your stock tune saved for the next time you restore.

Sponsored

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
My installer installed the tune from his laptop. Would my stock file be on his laptop?

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
My installer installed the tune from his laptop. Would my stock file be on his laptop?
Yes your installer should have copied the .flare file from their laptop to the Whipple thumb drive that comes with the kit, after loading the tune to your car and gave you the flash drive with the .flare file on it.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Have u ever looked at your ltft while your car is idling,warmed up??If they are let's say 25 at idle and then u raise the rpm to 2k and the ltft drop that is a classic case of an air leak somewhere.Also if u don't do a kam reset after fixing a fuel trim issue fuel trims will be the same on the next startup and take some time to relearn.Not sure if flashing over another tune does a kam reset.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Have u ever looked at your ltft while your car is idling,warmed up??If they are let's say 25 at idle and then u raise the rpm to 2k and the ltft drop that is a classic case of an air leak somewhere.Also if u don't do a kam reset after fixing a fuel trim issue fuel trims will be the same on the next startup and take some time to relearn.Not sure if flashing over another tune does a kam reset.
At idle Bank one is 4-5% band 2 is 1-2%.
Sponsored