Jacking rails and 2 posts lifts

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I recently installed Steeda low profile jacking rails. I get that they are great for DIY projects allowing jacking of one side of the car. Are these also applicable to use on a 2 post lift seeing as they are quite a bit shorter than the distance between front and rear pinch welds?
Sponsored

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Hey Nfs1000f,

I have a pair waiting to go on ........

are you happy with the results and was it easy

installing them with or without a lift........ cheers .......... :cheers:

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I installed my Low profile Steeda rails with the car flat on the ground. No lift is necessary. They are nice, but do deflect right up to the pinch weld at the jacking point.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
From what I've heard the most effective way to use these things is to lift the car completely on one side with the jack in the middle of the rail then put the jack stands in the allocated spots on the pinch welds. That's because the jacking rail is a bit short, and if you want even distribution of support the slot on the pinch welds is made for it.

So I like that idea (plus add a rubber boot to the top of the jack stand) since it's called a "jacking rail" and not a "jack stand rail".

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The answer to your question is no. Jacking rails are best for track day wheel changes, you need to use factory lift points to be balanced on a lift. I even had to get a set of bolt on lift point pads from ZL1 Addons because the pinch welds were cutting into my rubber jack pad covers and those things aren’t cheap.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
What method did you guys use to raise the vehicle for installation of the rails? ..ramps, blocks .etc? I want to be able to see and clean the extra body putty before I mount them.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Use ramps, just jack up like normal and put a ramp under both tires on one side, it’ll raise it enough to see laying on your back.

scannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2016 Miata (BBR turbo), '18 Subaru WRX
I have jacking rails on my GT350 and a two post lift. The front of the rail is a good place for the front pads, the rear pads go on the pinch welds to the rear of the jacking rail. I do have to use a two step short ramp for the front wheels to get the arms of the lift under the car.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah I have to drive the front up on a couple pieces of 2x12 and there’s JUST enough room to swing the pad into position. Car is only lowered about 32mm. Rear clears fine.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nfs1000f,

I have a pair waiting to go on ........

are you happy with the results and was it easy

installing them with or without a lift........ cheers .......... :cheers:
Drove the car up onto 2-2 x 6’s front and rear for a bit more clearance. They were very easy to install without having to use a floor jack. Just had to scrape away a little bit of the caulking on the front so they sat flush. About an hour install start to finish. Have that yet use them. My question about using them on a two point lift is because I bringing in my car in to have the rear bumper TSB completed and wanted to make sure that the dealer used the jacking rails as opposed to the pinch welds if possible.

Sponsored

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I use a two-post lift to work on my GT350R. No need for steeda rails. The pinch-weld jacking points are robust enough for repeated use. The rubber jacking pads provided with my Derek Weaver lift haven't suffered at all.

Gstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Gray
I use a two-post lift to work on my GT350R. No need for steeda rails. The pinch-weld jacking points are robust enough for repeated use. The rubber jacking pads provided with my Derek Weaver lift haven't suffered at all.
Do your lift jack pads have a slit in them to not put all the pressure on the pinch welds? Or is all the weight supported by the pinch welds themselves?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My car is on a 2-post lift all the time. I use the Steeda IRS brace as one jack point and the front of the Steeda jacking rails as the opposite side.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Do your lift jack pads have a slit in them to not put all the pressure on the pinch welds? Or is all the weight supported by the pinch welds themselves?
No modifications...lifted on the pinch welds...no damage to car or pads noted.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
The answer to your question is no. Jacking rails are best for track day wheel changes, you need to use factory lift points to be balanced on a lift. I even had to get a set of bolt on lift point pads from ZL1 Addons because the pinch welds were cutting into my rubber jack pad covers and those things aren’t cheap.
Called Steeda today and they said they can be used on a 2 post lift.
Sponsored