OP
OP
nrothaar

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red
I agree that the sound is subjective, but getting a deeper tone is more to do with the mufflers than the crossover. If you exhaust system is loud, it has a better chance at being raspy.

You need to cut the pipes to install the h-pipe anyway.
Even on a cat-back setup? All of the installation videos I've seen for a borla atak cat-back just had them removing the resonator back and installing the new system
Sponsored

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, w/ Performance Pack
did you ever install the h-pipe with the atak mufflers?

I am thinking of doing this

OP
OP
nrothaar

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you ever install the h-pipe with the atak mufflers?

I am thinking of doing this
Yeah I ended up swapping the x pipe from the borla atak catback system for an mrt h pipe. Love the sound. Let me know if you want a video

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I ended up swapping the x pipe from the borla atak catback system for an mrt h pipe. Love the sound. Let me know if you want a video

that would be awesome if you could post video, I have the atak axle back and been thinking about doing a h-pipe

OP
OP
nrothaar

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that would be awesome if you could post video, I have the atak axle back and been thinking about doing a h-pipe
Sure thing man. PM sent. Sounds a lot better in person though lol

Sponsored

JakeB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6AT (Shadow Black)
I'm doing exactly this on Monday. I've had the axle back, and have been hesitant on the h Pipe without any examples. Definitely worried about rasp with an open exhaust setup with the smaller piping over the catback kit. Il report back wether the H Pipe is able to keep a deep sound.

Edit: I wasn't aware the Borla catback was also 2.5" piping. I don't know that mine will sound any different than nrothaar's catback with h Pipe swap

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm doing exactly this on Monday. I've had the axle back, and have been hesitant on the h Pipe without any examples. Definitely worried about rasp with an open exhaust setup with the smaller piping over the catback kit. Il report back wether the H Pipe is able to keep a deep sound.

Edit: I wasn't aware the Borla catback was also 2.5" piping. I don't know that mine will sound any different than nrothaar's catback with h Pipe swap

can you make a video once you do it? all the stock stuff is already 2.5" is it not?

JakeB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
can you make a video once you do it? all the stock stuff is already 2.5" is it not?
Will do. OEM is 2.5, I thought the Borla catback was 3" but I was wrong.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
From all of our dyno testing on both the chassis dyno and the engine dyno a x pipe performs alot better than a h pipe which is why exhaust manufacturers converted over to the x pipe, i remember kooks headers doing this test a few years ago on the dyno and x pipe won hands down
Mishimoto had different results...
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]XaY7AaBPg4o[/MEDIA]"]Youtube dyno's[/ame]
Mishimoto blog

Granted, if you have multiple mods (cams and headers for example), I can see the X-pipe shining more. Do you have a link to the Kooks dyno results? I couldn't find anything that showed anything significant.

I'd be interested in this as well :)

OP
OP
nrothaar

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will do. OEM is 2.5, I thought the Borla catback was 3" but I was wrong.
Borla sells both a 2.5" and a 3" catback exhaust

Sponsored

JakeB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
I did get my Mishimoto H pipe on with my Atak axleback this morning. It sounds very close to the 2.5" Atak Catback CJponyparts uploaded a video of in the low range. Just deeper. The sound as it revs is less consistent than the catback with the x pipe, which i like. And less rasp towards the top. Sound breaks up off throttle.

Understanding that im comparing their catback from a video clip, to what i hear in person. The difference is exactly what i expected. I will record a video with my iPhone 7 later. But im pretty confident the mic is going to clip all of the lows out. If the video i get isnt going to give an accurate comparison to what else is online, im not going to bother uploading it.

Borla sells both a 2.5" and a 3" catback exhaust
Thanks for the info. I was only seeing 2.5 kits when i looked the other day. Just assumed i was going crazy.

DJRoy28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Anyone have any videos of this? I am thinking of pairing an h-pipe with my ATAK AB as well. Still deciding between that or an x-pipe.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I have Roush Axle back and lethal X pipe. I will say the drone and raspiness is WAYY less now that in Feb when I put it on.

I was considering putting the stock resonator back on but now Im glad I didnt.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
FYI, Steeda just announced an affordable H pipe.
Sponsored