Sponsored

Do your neighbors complain about your exhaust?

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Now, I'll say first and foremost I do have probably one of the louder exhaust combos on the market - Corsa Xtreme and MAK Cat deletes.

So I've had a few silly complaints from surrounding apartment complexes with people accusing me of doing 90 up a 25mph hill. Yeah, right. They insist that it must be true because of how loud my car is. Anyways, all that's gone to the way side, I just coast down the hills in neutral when leaving home now.

So, today I was exiting the highway and sped up from about 70-85 to get around a slow Mercedes Benz SUV. Lo and behold, it was my neighbor and boy he was not happy. Must've been the downshift that really pissed him off as we were exiting the highway. Long story short, he follows me to my house and proceeds to go apeshit - "Hey Buddy! I understand your loud exhaust is an extension of your little dick but I'm tired of this shit! I have to hear it every single fucking day and not to mention the fact that you just cut me off almost causing me to have an accident! I have a buddy who's a highway patrolman, he'll be paying you a visit to see if your exhaust system is legal or not. FUCK YOU!" I'll give him this much, the little dick joke was pretty funny. Haha

Now keep in mind, I'm just sitting in my car the whole time looking at him with a half-smile shocked that he went out of his way for all this. So after he was done, I simply said "cool, see you around". There's no way I'm going to let a man older than my father coax me into getting into a physical altercation with him and subsequently putting a huge negative stamp on my personal record.

So, basically, what can come of this? I love my exhaust combo and understand it's loud but I don't rev in the neighborhood, do burnouts, speed, etc. I let it warm up in the garage and short-shift my way out then open it up miles away as I'm merging onto the highway (albeit I'm sure you can still hear it).

Being that we're in CA, the state of wonderful emission laws and the best gun laws (sarcasm), what can he do?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.
- David
Sponsored

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Haha @ the dick comment! Anyway, CHP cant come to your house to check if your exhaust is legal.
The dick comment actually turned my half smile into a full smile hahaha. I was trying to act all neutral and whatever then he said that and I couldn't help myself. So his "buddy" can't do shit then, essentially. Correct?

I think me smiling made him even angrier. :shrug::D

Sponsored

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
All my neighbors love my car and the exhausts it has had, thank god because I live in a really nice town.

TnGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500
Not sure you have much of a defense without cats on your system. Plus I'm sure California has a decibel level tolerance for such things. Not knowing your town and how strict they are he could probably get you on an excessive noise citation. I'd say with your cat deletes and extremes it's a pretty loud setup and once a officer heard it on startup you would be guilty as charged.

Unfortunately you just have one of those types of neighbors close by.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
The dick comment actually turned my half smile into a full smile hahaha. I was trying to act all neutral and whatever then he said that and I couldn't help myself. So his "buddy" can't do shit then, essentially. Correct?

I think me smiling made him even angrier. :shrug::D
The only thing he can do is keep an eye out for you, pull you over and use the exhaust as an excuse. Possibly hit you with a fix it ticket for CVC 27150a.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I try to be respectful of my neighbors (1/4th acre lots). They have kids, etc. I have switched around exhaust on previous cars if I felt they were too loud out of respect. I think what matters is, if you do have a loud exhaust, what time of the day are you coming and going. I think it's a pretty shitty to have a really loud exhaust if you are leaving early in the mornings and same thing late at night. You have one of THE loudest exhaust you can have on your car. Maybe consider going to a touring muffler if it's really causing that much issue. The next thing you will end up dealing with is people vandalizing your car and causing drama. Is it really worth the sound of an exhaust?

I currently have Borla S Type CBE with stock cats. I couldn't imagine being much louder than I am without it being a bit obnoxious to people around me. I don't plan on modding but if I did and removed the cats/headers I would make sure I did something to help dampen the sound.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
All my neighbors love my car and the exhausts it has had, thank god because I live in a really nice town.
For the most part, everyone seems to like or at least tolerate my car as well. It seems everyone who has complained has been so worked up that it leads me to believe that my exhaust is the little excuse they need to snap.

Not sure you have much of a defense without cats on your system. Plus I'm sure California has a decibel level tolerance for such things. Not knowing your town and how strict they are he could probably get you on an excessive noise citation. I'd say with your cat deletes and extremes it's a pretty loud setup and once a officer heard it on startup you would be guilty as charged.

Unfortunately you just have one of those types of neighbors close by.
Good points, but could an officer really walk into my garage and ask me to start my car? I know my exhaust is a risky combo in CA, but I don't see a CHP officer walking into my house telling me he's going to look at my car. I'm not anti-LEO at all, just curious as to how this would work.

The only thing he can do is keep an eye out for you, pull you over and use the exhaust as an excuse. Possibly hit you with a fix it ticket for CVC 27150a.
I could see that happening. Are you a LEO by any chance? How did you know the code off the top of your head like that? Lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I try to be respectful of my neighbors (1/4th acre lots). They have kids, etc. I have switched around exhaust on previous cars if I felt they were too loud out of respect. I think what matters is, if you do have a loud exhaust, what time of the day are you coming and going. I think it's a pretty shitty to have a really loud exhaust if you are leaving early in the mornings and same thing late at night. You have one of THE loudest exhaust you can have on your car. Maybe consider going to a touring muffler if it's really causing that much issue. The next thing you will end up dealing with is people vandalizing your car and causing drama. Is it really worth the sound of an exhaust?

I currently have Borla S Type CBE with stock cats. I couldn't imagine being much louder than I am without it being a bit obnoxious to people around me. I don't plan on modding but if I did and removed the cats/headers I would make sure I did something to help dampen the sound.
I do my best to keep my neighbors in mind and actually let the car warm up in the garage before leaving and short shift at around ~2k regardless of what time of day it is. As far as my car being vandalized, they'd have to break in. But I do believe that there are some people crazy enough to go that far.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Chp can't inspect your car without a warrant and they won't give them one for such a small infraction. Fuck that guy. Really hate when people tell others what to do with their property.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
For the most part, everyone seems to like or at least tolerate my car as well. It seems everyone who has complained has been so worked up that it leads me to believe that my exhaust is the little excuse they need to snap.

It is likely that there are others who do NOT like your exhaust, but they are just keeping quiet. In a way, you can be thankful to the one guy that spoke up (and I'm sure the freeway incident sparked this), because he may represent a larger "silent" group.

I was at Mustang week and heard that 2nd gear pull every 5 seconds or so all around town. But at the 6g dinner in North Myrtle Beach, one car exited and was the loudest damn exhaust I had heard all week. I can't imagine how that guy even drives such a car.

I'll bet your neighbor has placed a call or two by now. Sorry for your (and his) trouble.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
When do they not.

lol...

LT with turndowns, I guess I can understand.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Chp can't inspect your car without a warrant and they won't give them one for such a small infraction. Fuck that guy. Really hate when people tell others what to do with their property.
I'm assuming they can't inspect my car without a warrant while it's on my property but they could still pull me over and check under my hood, etc. Correct? It seems like it really got to him. I wonder if he's got a hot daughter anywhere between 20-35. Then I can really ruin his day. :lol: Just kidding, I'm not that much of a dick. :cheers:
Sponsored