Sponsored

2018 Quirks - what have you noticed?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
So I've had my 18 GT Premium for 4K miles now, and I've noticed some "quirks" - small things that either don't make sense or are annoying. I'm not talking about defects like A/C not working, cooled seats not cooling, oil leaks, etc. These are just small things that I've noticed that seem odd in some way. Feel free to add yours, or to point out when I'm wrong about something.

- Powered seat doesn't return to last position: When starting the car, the seat should go back to its' last position, which in my case is the Memory 1 position. Sometimes it does, sometimes it only goes part the way. I know this because when I hit Memory 1, sometimes its' already there and doesn't move, sometimes it moves even more. I use one key fob, so it's not that.

- Pressing the cruise control ON button will usually result in the annoying warning screen sound regarding adaptive cruise control. But other times I don't get the annoying warning. I realize you only get the warning once per drive (so if you turn it on, then off, then on again you don't get it the second time). But I sometimes don't get the warning even the first time I turn on cruise during a drive. I wish I could figure how to make that the default so I don't EVER get the warning.

- It appears there is no way to scroll to the second screen of preset stations by using the steering wheel controls. I can only cycle through the ones on the current screen. To get to the next set of presets, I have to reach over and use the touchscreen. Someone said on the 15-17 models you use the steering wheel up/down controls - not so on the 18.

-I found out this morning not to open the trunk with the physical button on the bumper before entering the car after a remote start - the car immediately shut off and started honking it's alarm. Or maybe I used the key fob to open the trunk. I don't remember but it scared the hell out of me. I mean, I already started the car, and I clearly have the key fob in the area of the car - why can't I open the trunk?

- AUTO mode in climate control will not use the footwell vent - you have to select this manually on the touchscreen. Other vehicles I've used with AUTO will use all the vents to disperse the air wherever it feels it is needed, including the footwells. AUTO in the 18 means auto fan and temp above the waist.

- This one is well known, but there is no way to go backwards when selecting drive mode. So if you are in Track and want to go to Sport +, you have to cycle through Drag Strip, Snow, Normal, and My Mode to get to Sport +. Dumb.

That's it off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of a few more. Overall I love the car, so these are minor quirks.
Sponsored

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
- This one is well known, but there is no way to go backwards when selecting drive mode. So if you are in Track and want to go to Sport +, you have to cycle through Drag Strip, Snow, Normal, and My Mode to get to Sport +. Dumb.

This is the quirk I have the biggest issue with, especially when I click it one too many times and have to go back around the horn to get back to the one I wanted in the first place!

The other thing I have noticed, and I assume its a feature and not a quirk, is that the vent fans automatically go to a lower speed when using the phone or voice commands.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Radio controls on wrong side of steering wheel. Needs to switch with dash controls

Drive mode toggle is also on wrong side, why is that one near passenger but hazards is next to driver. I use the drive mode way more than the Hazzard. And to that point just put it on the steering wheel where it belongs.

Also agree with above let me go both directions with the toggles.

That's all I have.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quirk: Sometimes the car decides it would like me to service the flat tyre kit.
Ha - just got that again this morning after following the reset procedure about a month ago.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I have memory seats and have not noticed the seat returning incorrectly. Otherwise I would be able to reach the pedal lol.

What warning are you talking about for cruise? I don't get one. I have adaptive.

If you want to cycle presets at least on sirius, i'm not sure if you are talking about radio but you hit the M button and it will go to the second set, hit it again it will go to the 3rd.

What's so hard about flipping the button a couple times to go back to the drive mode lol? Did you want individual switches for each mode?...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What warning are you talking about for cruise? I don't get one. I have adaptive.
I'll look later today and post back - can't remember exactly what it says. I think it says that adaptive is off since I have it set to off as default.

If you want to cycle presets at least on sirius, i'm not sure if you are talking about radio but you hit the M button and it will go to the second set, hit it again it will go to the 3rd.
Referring to satellite. I'll try that later and see if it works - thanks. That info is nowhere in the manual as far as I know.

What's so hard about flipping the button a couple times to go back to the drive mode lol? Did you want individual switches for each mode?
It's not that its' hard, it's just a needless annoyance. If the mode you want is one mode prior to the current mode you should be able to go one click back instead of 5 clicks forward. Especially if you want to do this while driving.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The most annoying quirk is Sync 3 keeps popping up a dialog box that it can perform updates over WIFI and do I want to view WIFI networks. It still does this after I have confirgured the only WIFI network I want it to use. So, I have to turn off automatic updates to stop the pop-ups.

Cheers,

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Quirk: Sometimes the car decides it would like me to service the flat tyre kit.
Ha - just got that again this morning after following the reset procedure about a month ago.
:frusty: Seriously! I have had the car 6 months and have had to reset this thing 4 times already. I know, I know I am bitching about a 10 second procedure :D

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
You must have an automatic, for 6MT drivers it's definitely in the right place.

Mine just went into dealer this AM for the stupid Tire Kit notice fix, steering mode flash, and a few others....

Most of the "stuff and things" we are finding are software issues that need patching.

These cars are more server farm and less shade tree garage than ever before. If you look at things like games - they rush software to market with the mindset they will fix the "quirks" in production with patches. New cars are no different. Like it or not - its a technology business mindset that drives me nuckin futz. I do not test my apps in production...

Quirks - yeah, can you imagine the quirks if these things were hand built like Ferrari and Lambo? no 2 have the same quirks in those cars.

I had a 15 before my 18 and even with an auto I was always confused that on my 15 Ford had the damn stereo controls on the wrong side and different side than everyone else - this one I am glad they fixed (I do have an auto lol) - my Audi, fj cruiser, and my cars before had them on the left... :headbonk:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:frusty: Seriously! I have had the car 6 months and have had to reset this thing 4 times already. I know, I know I am bitching about a 10 second procedure :D
That's what this thread is all about, so bitch away!

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just noticed a quirk about this website - why does it insist on double spacing between parargraphs? I always have to go in and delete a space so it's not so spread out.

Testing - when I typed this there was one space between paragraphs.

ETA - yep - quirk.

Last edited:

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I hate the volume controls on the left. Hate. Hate Hate.
Doesn't matter if I'm driving my '17 GT M6 or my wife's '18 Eco A10...I like to have my arm out the window.
Oh, I want to adjust the volume in my car? Cool, no problem....done.
I want to adjust the volume in her car? Oh, let me bring my arm back in from hanging out the window...nah...I'll just take both hands off the steering wheel and adjust the knob in the center.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
You think that's bad patriot, just wait till you read mine. :D

On my '13 I could grab the fake cap on the rear tail panel to close the trunk therein leaving no fingerprints on the panel. Can't do that on the '18, the GT emblem's to small allowing the closing person to leave fingerprints everywhere. The horror, the horror.....:doh: :crazy:

BTW OP, I have the adaptive cruise, and haven't every had a beep, boop, or bop when I've set it. :shrug:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
No dome light override switch. That is a big WTF?? for me.

Frequent warning dialogs from Ford's legal department, some of them are real head scratchers.

Toggle switches are one way.

No ability to theme sync 3. We are stuck with the ugly powder blue.

Mute button does not pause streaming tracks. Despite people here insisting that is normal I've never seen that behavior on any other A2DP Bluetooth connection.

My Key is rather useless. If I didn't trust a family member that much I wouldn't let them drive it to begin with.

Tail lights blind/stun me when shutting the trunk at night.
Sponsored