Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Why i bought a 2017 GT PP. Everyone else tested everything. Istill have interior rattles and things like that but fortunately no major issues. I worry about it everyday though so i may end up sellin git to get a more proven car.
I thought it was a bit safer buying a 2017 as well, but it really isn't.

In just 7 months of ownership: AC evaporator checked out at just under 12k. Reverse lockout nut failed at 13k.

It seems like the only thing Ford addressed were safety issues.
Sponsored

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Honda has always been mediocre with an aura of superiority. They put bum transmissions in vehicles for years, have numerous VCT issues, etc.
They make mediocre cars in terms of styling/performance and they definitely had an issue with their V6 automatic transmissions but to say Honda is mediocre in terms of reliability/quality is far from the truth.

There are bunch of 90s and early 2000s Hondas well in excess of 200k miles that have only had routine maintenance done. I have several friends and family members with older Hondas and Acuras that have been flawless.

My S2000 in 7 years and 155K miles had two minor problems (leaky clutch master cylinder and leaky VTEC solenoid) and both were well after 100K miles.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
There are bunch of 90s and early 2000s Hondas well in excess of 200k miles that have only had routine maintenance done. I have several friends and family members with older Hondas and Acuras that have been flawless.
Honda has had plenty of other issues as well. Those 5 speeds were garbage and they stiffed plenty of owners. Honda VCM is another sore spot and has lots of issues. The new engines love to dilute their oil.

IMHO the average Honda/Toyota/etc. driver is more likely to do the maintenance than others. The key to longevity is what you said, routine maintenance. Do that and most cars will live a long and prosperous life. Plenty of 200k+ mile Fords, GMs, and other makes out there with routine maintenance.

I know plenty with GM vehicles with large amounts of miles and no issues.

I'm a stickler for maintenance - do it by the book.

I got 175k out of an 86 Mustang with the 2.3 - beat the snot out of that car. Mechanically it was good but rust did it in at the age of 19.

Wife put 160k on her Escape - nothing out of the ordinary either in that time period.

The Taurus is @ 126k and nothing other than routine maintenance.

Dad has an 08 Civic. He says it's been reliable @ 60k but it's loud, slow, and is more of a penalty box than anything else. Would an 08 Focus have been the same? Probably and probably just as reliable.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Honda has had plenty of other issues as well. Those 5 speeds were garbage and they stiffed plenty of owners. Honda VCM is another sore spot and has lots of issues. The new engines love to dilute their oil.

IMHO the average Honda/Toyota/etc. driver is more likely to do the maintenance than others. The key to longevity is what you said, routine maintenance. Do that and most cars will live a long and prosperous life. Plenty of 200k+ mile Fords, GMs, and other makes out there with routine maintenance.

I know plenty with GM vehicles with large amounts of miles and no issues.

I'm a stickler for maintenance - do it by the book.

I got 175k out of an 86 Mustang with the 2.3 - beat the snot out of that car. Mechanically it was good but rust did it in at the age of 19.

Wife put 160k on her Escape - nothing out of the ordinary either in that time period.

The Taurus is @ 126k and nothing other than routine maintenance.

Dad has an 08 Civic. He says it's been reliable @ 60k but it's loud, slow, and is more of a penalty box than anything else. Would an 08 Focus have been the same? Probably and probably just as reliable.
Glad you've had good experiences. My first and secondhand experience with GM hasn't been great either but I won't fill this thread with a bunch of anecdotal stuff.

Interested in why you think the average Japanese car owner is more likely to keep up with maintenance though.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Sorry this thread is super long and I've lost track of who has what. What information was used to decide your car needed a new block? Having the rattle alone or did they find piston damage as well?
See the original post lol. Obnoxious rattle (like spark knock or a diesel) at low rpm range and around 2200 rpm in 3rd gear is loudest. This is not the bbq tick or chatter from the hpfp.

Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
See the original post lol. Obnoxious rattle (like spark knock or a diesel) at low rpm range and around 2200 rpm in 3rd gear is loudest. This is not the bbq tick or chatter from the hpfp.
Ye but curious about what info they needed to get him a block. Did they find piston damage like they found on yours??

Cause like Mvjet, my rattle was deemed normal. I will go to another dealer but I wanna know what kind of evidence I need to look at in order to know whether my car is as bad off. I really like this car, the rattle doesn't bug me, but if you both have actual piston damage then I'll have to get it looked at elsewhere.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
holy shit... if its making noise ,run the hell out of it and if it aint getting louder and u aint slowing down stfu that's what the warranty is for ..its a car not a baby..it can be replaced, free of charge I might add, if something is actually wrong ,make it MORE WRONG SO THERE IS NO DISUSSION!! ...it cost u nothing under warranty if it making noise or rod through block, if u cant your just not used to modern high compression ,high fuel pressure engines

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
holy shit... if its making noise ,run the hell out of it and if it aint getting louder and u aint slowing down stfu that's what the warranty is for ..its a car not a baby..it can be replaced, free of charge I might add, if something is actually wrong ,make it MORE WRONG SO THERE IS NO DISUSSION!! ...it cost u nothing under warranty if it making noise or rod through block, if u cant your just not used to modern high compression ,high fuel pressure engines
Yes I love this comment. It shows a complete lack of awareness and the usual "I want to be so cool on the computer attitude" :headbang:

If it was that simple than ALL 2018 MUSTANGS WOULD HAVE THE SAME GOD DAMN RATTLE, NOT LIMITED TO ONLY SOME!

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Yea lets just accept the fact that the car sounds like crap and wait until we totally destroy the engine....

The correct thought process would be to take it in and have it fixed since IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Yea lets just accept the fact that the car sounds like crap and wait until we totally destroy the engine....

The correct thought process would be to take it in and have it fixed since IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
kind of the same type of thinking where a guy notes that his new car engine is making an odd mechanical noise and then proceeds to tune it anyway therefore risking warranty coverage.

I don't believe for a second that you are getting a warrantied engine from Ford. it goes against everything widely known about how Ford corporate does things.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
If it was that simple than ALL 2018 MUSTANGS WOULD HAVE THE SAME GOD DAMN RATTLE, NOT LIMITED TO ONLY SOME!
Ever heard of engineering tolerance stack-ups? Just because some 18s have the noise and others do not does not immediately mean that there is something wrong. Ford specs a tolerance on the size of the piston and on the bore. A + or - range from an ideal dimension. Those of use that have the rattle could simply have got unlucky and have a piston that is as small as allowed and a bore that is as large as allowed (assuming that this is still piston slap) creating a bit more room then would otherwise be normal. DOES NOT mean that there is a concern in longevity of the engine.

Another thing I would like everyone to consider.... What makes everyone think that by replacing the engine with shortblocks that have already been manufactured and assembled will fix the issue? Some of those short blocks are going to have the same issue as your current engine... It would be the luck of the draw to find one that does not have the rattle. Again, assuming that this is a piston slap issue with tolerances to large that will lead to an issue, official word from Ford in the form of a GSB or even Recall will tell us that. Until then, no amount of us going dealer to dealer until one agrees to replace the engine is going to solve it. You might get lucky with a perfect shortblock but more then likely you will have the same issue and will have an engine torn apart and put back together by a dealership tech.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Ever heard of engineering tolerance stack-ups? Just because some 18s have the noise and others do not does not immediately mean that there is something wrong. Ford specs a tolerance on the size of the piston and on the bore. A + or - range from an ideal dimension. Those of use that have the rattle could simply have got unlucky and have a piston that is as small as allowed and a bore that is as large as allowed (assuming that this is still piston slap) creating a bit more room then would otherwise be normal. DOES NOT mean that there is a concern in longevity of the engine.

Another thing I would like everyone to consider.... What makes everyone think that by replacing the engine with shortblocks that have already been manufactured and assembled will fix the issue? Some of those short blocks are going to have the same issue as your current engine... It would be the luck of the draw to find one that does not have the rattle. Again, assuming that this is a piston slap issue with tolerances to large that will lead to an issue, official word from Ford in the form of a GSB or even Recall will tell us that. Until then, no amount of us going dealer to dealer until one agrees to replace the engine is going to solve it. You might get lucky with a perfect shortblock but more then likely you will have the same issue and will have an engine torn apart and put back together by a dealership tech.
This is absolutely true. I'm a mechanical engineer and we spec tolerances for every part designed and manufactured. If the engines with rattling or ticking noises have been made to spec (within the desired tolerances) I wouldn't be worried. However if Ford's engineering dept is receiving failed engines that are out of spec, that could be a disaster.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Same issue here - European GT 2018 Model mit MT - Engine build date ist 01/15/2018
I am still unsure and upset wheter to think it is normal or it is a big disaster :headbonk::ninja: My engine also has this typical BBQ tick.
One idea - if we look at post#189 - the guy with the subaro - In the video he tells that the ticking noises increase when fuel with high alcohol/ethanol content is used. What kind of fuel do you guys use ? Next time I'll try a non-ethanol-gasoline - at least it's worth a try.

Below my vid - with familair sound for at least 50% of you guys here

[ame]

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Same issue here - European GT 2018 Model mit MT - Engine build date ist 01/15/2018
I am still unsure and upset wheter to think it is normal or it is a big disaster :headbonk::ninja: My engine also has this typical BBQ tick.
One idea - if we look at post#189 - the guy with the subaro - In the video he tells that the ticking noises increase when fuel with high alcohol/ethanol content is used. What kind of fuel do you guys use ? Next time I'll try a non-ethanol-gasoline - at least it's worth a try.

Below my vid - with familair sound for at least 50% of you guys here

This is indeed the same sound. Does yours go away when it's up to full operating temp? Mine only seems to do it when its cold. It pretty much goes away completely when hot.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is indeed the same sound. Does yours go away when it's up to full operating temp? Mine only seems to do it when its cold. It pretty much goes away completely when hot.

I tested it yesterday - I have bin driving around for about 30 minutes - not at very high speed (around 40 miles) - but the sounds seems to be still there. (the video has been taken after around 30 mins of driving) I think it is not that loud as when it is cold - but it still can be replicated.

I have to test again to get the machine completely warm.
Sponsored

Last edited: