Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The upside to reduced MPG's is more Smiles per Gallon :D
Worth the tradeoff :cheers: :D

I leave it in drive until the oil temp shows normal. Probably unnecessary, but the throttle response and shifting are far more aggressive in sport, on the V6.
Same here, it's a good idea. Don't want to be downshifting and aggressively revving the motor when it's cold.
Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Driving to work in the morning commute I use D, on the way home when its nice out or weekend driving I use S!

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Is there any difference in performance when using D on the shifter and Sport+ or Track mode vs. S on the shifter and Sport+ or Track mode? I am asking this because Sport+ and Track mode are both available when the shifter is in D or S.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Is there any difference in performance when using D on the shifter and Sport+ or Track mode vs. S on the shifter and Sport+ or Track mode? I am asking this because Sport+ and Track mode are both available when the shifter is in D or S.
The only difference between those scenarios is that in D if you use the paddles, the computer will takeover control after a few seconds. In S if you use the paddles, the computer will not take over control.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Thanks man

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coastal Bend Mustangs of Texas

He's got a 17 V6, none of that new fangled stuff in our cars :lol:

For the question though, for me it just seems to hold the gears longer and shifts firmer.

For all the paddle shifting/manual pros, if I'm constantly coming up on speed bumps like I do everyday going home, is it best to just leave it 2nd or 3rd and go over them? What about stop signs? I know some people that say you only need to go to 2nd...

I'm fine with it at speed, but usually go back to D slowing down because I'm not sure!
I only drive my pony in S and I paddle everywhere. The tranny 6R80 will downshift for you from 3rd. I usually shift down to 2nd and let it take over. Paddles are an "old mans" manual alternative from Heaven! I'll never go back to a manual pony. Toyota Celia was my last manual car from the 90's. See you in the twisty's!
tn_20180519_115354_Burst14.jpg

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Start Car.
Flip to track mode.
Disable Advancetrack.
Everytime I drive.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I’ll wave as I pass by you in a ditch!
Believe it or not, many people really can handle their cars without incident in the complete absence of things like AdvanceTrac, TC, and even ABS.

As an independent-minded nonconformist, I'd hate to let myself get so deeply brainwashed by the "let somebody else do all your safety for you the way they think it should be done" crowd that I'd spout their brand of fearmongering instead of simply urging a little caution about staying within the limits of one's skill set.

My advice - learning gradually enough that you don't get too far out past what you know your experience can support applies to everything from using Sport Mode out to AdvanceTrac off. Any "Holy shit, this thing's fast" moments mean by definition that you took things a bit too far too soon.

Norm

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Shifter in β€œS” allows fully manual operation via the paddles, even to the rev limiter. If not in the β€œS position” automatic control of the transmission resumes after a few seconds, or if revs get too high or too low.
In my 2016 A6 GT, I do notice a slight difference in throttle response and shifting (SLIGHT DIFFERENCE) in S vs S+. No clue about the A10, though.
I think in the A10 the downshifts are more aggressive when the transmission is switched to S. This is either for S+ or just plain old S. I think is is to facilitate downhill driving.

I could be wrong but it's like S+ gets the throttle response and up-shifts and placing the lever in S gets the aggressive downshifts (as well as full manual override).

Putting an A10 in S with S+ mode makes for one hell of an aggressive auto transmission. I've never driven anything quite like it. It can be too much for typical DD. Sometimes I want to relax. :)

Sponsored

Hooch180

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maciej
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 5.0 (EU)
The only difference between those scenarios is that in D if you use the paddles, the computer will takeover control after a few seconds. In S if you use the paddles, the computer will not take over control.
Putting an A10 in S with S+ mode makes for one hell of an aggressive auto transmission. I've never driven anything quite like it. It can be too much for typical DD. Sometimes I want to relax. :)
Ok. Which is it than?

Does transmission selection D/S has any impact when you are in S+/Track mode?

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
Yes. S shifter position. Toggle downshift paddle to be sure trans is in manual first and then toggle upshift paddle to select second. Note that if you let the car move forward slightly before setting off the trans is likely to shift back to first.
Yep, if you let off the brake and start rolling, it won't let you shift to 2nd until you're at about 8-10mph. So make sure you hit the paddle to put it in 2nd before you move. Love starting in second gear btw. Gets you going without having to immediately shift or spin the tires, when you gradually roll into the throttle.

Driving to work in the morning commute I use D, on the way home when its nice out or weekend driving I use S!
This x10000. Smooth driving in traffic but still some pep if you need to change lanes. Then S mode when it's warmed up and you have some room to play. Best of both worlds.

The thing about S mode is you hit every gear, whether up-shifting or down. So if you are in traffic or going light-to-light, the transmission will downshift into every gear as you come to a stop. This can get annoying sometimes although it always sounds so good hahaha. Get lots of looks when in S but not paddle shifting bc of it.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Ok. Which is it than?

I haven't tried it yet, but putting the shifter in S mode allows for the manual shifting no matter what other mode you might be in otherwise.

It also makes for extremely sporty shifting no matter what other mode you are in.

It is lol hilarious in normal daily driving but can get old...and obviously hurts gas mileage.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Ok. Which is it than?

I haven't really been able to determine whether or not the calibration changes significantly between D and S when in S+ or Track modes. Subjectively, except for the manual shifting aspects of S, at the very least there is a lot of calibration overlap. That is D in S+ or Track is essentially the same as S in Normal, S+, or Track per seat of the pants around town driving. However there are far too many potential variables for me to "test" on the street or to make a definitive claim/statement. Note that my car is a GT PP with MagneRide and 3.55's so transmission calibrations MAY be different than for other GT's or GT PP's.
Sponsored