5LTR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Efren
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT A10 401a 2017 Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else had issues with hitting the rev limiter when using dragstrip mode? I tried it one time and it just fell on its face at the 1-2 shift. I am not 100% sure if it was the rev limiter or traction control. It broke the tires loose on the shift and fishtailed.
I have. once on the street and once at the track. ran 12.2 in sport plus so i kind of want to see what difference it will make on the times
Sponsored

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
OK, I did some experimenting on the street this morning and learned a couple of things.
When my car seems to fall on its face in Drag mode is AFTER the 1-2 shift and the tires have spun. That leads me to believe it is not hitting the rev limiter since the occurrence is after max RPM has taken place.

Something else:
We turn off Advance Track by holding the toggle for 6 seconds or so. However, if I change modes AFTER that, it turns Advance Track back on. It is important to select drag mode FIRST, then hold the toggle until the message appears that Advance Track is off. If I turn off Advance track first and THEN go to drag mode, Advance Track is back on.

If the weather cooperates, I will be heading to the strip tomorrow.

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
I posted this in another thread. There is an issue with hitting the rev limiter. Its not a traction control issue and it can happen in all modes expect normal. I was told by a friend of mine who is an engineer at Ford that it could be a software issue or possible a trans issue.

This has happened to me at the track and on the street. It does not happen in normal mode but if I put it in sport, track or drag it hits the rev limiter. I was testing more today, with advance traction control off. The first run in drag mode it hit second gear perfect, okay its working fine...weird. Just to make sure, I made a back up run, well it hit the rev limiter again. I made another run in sport, same thing, hit the rev limiter. I did a third test in normal and it was fine.

The engineer told me to bring to the dealer so Ford can get more data on how many cars are affected by this issue. I plan on bringing it back to the dealer, but wont have time for another month. I will report back here when I get the time. My dealer is great to work with, and as soon as I drop it off the engineer I know well contact the dealer to get this issue resolved in a timely manner.

For the vast majority I don't think it's a transmission issue!

The throttle rpm engine rev limiter and some of the stock transmission limiter are way to close to the commanded shift point . On occasion when the rpm goes too high it get to those limiters and the throttle is cut.

Some cars exhibit more of the problem. I had more problem than my friend twin car. My car some time for whatever reason was shifting a bit higher and then it was hitting the limiter.

Easy to fix with a tune but for those with the stock calibration it's another storie. Maybe Ford will fix it with a new stock calibration on the 2019 and maybe a tsb will be issue on the 2018 for a calibration update for those who have the problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I only have the issue in dragstrip mode but the wheelhop at the 1-2 shift is so severe, I don't use that mode anyway. I have no issues in normal, sport or track modes.

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
I only have the issue in dragstrip mode but the wheelhop at the 1-2 shift is so severe, I don't use that mode anyway. I have no issues in normal, sport or track modes.
I also had the issue only when using drag mode. The problem is at the drag strip the drag mode is way faster than any other mod with traction of course!

By the way it's make sense that it cut more in lower gear and when it's spinning since rpm are climbing faster it's easier to go past the trans target shift point and then it's easy to hit stock throttle limiter that is only at 7350 rpm.The 7500 rpm limit is the fuel cutoff.

For those with the issue that want to keep the stock tune it can be a good idea like "Yo Ken" said to bring it to the dealer so it can be reported to Ford so they can fixed it

Also if it's after the shift it can be also traction control or other torque limiting operation. I always put it in drag mode then hold the Trac button to remove it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinogt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt
I am experiencing the same issue with hitting the limiter but only occasionally. I’m still trying to track down where the limit is coming from exactly. When it happens the only thing I get is torque source “engine speed limit” for a second after the shit has already begun.

10r80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I hate to make excuses but I think my 2018 A10 GT deserves a little break. The DA at Brainerd last night was 2800-2900. My car is not broken in. It only has 600 miles on it.
Considering all of this, why did you even go if you're going to use it as a crutch? I ran a 12.03 @ 118 in my '18 10r80 when I first went to the track with 700 miles.

84 degrees, 2600 DA. Only mod at the time was an X pipe. I say all of this to say, with more seat time and drag mode figured out you'll yield great results. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Considering all of this, why did you even go if you're going to use it as a crutch? I ran a 12.03 @ 118 in my '18 10r80 when I first went to the track with 700 miles.

84 degrees, 2600 DA. Only mod at the time was an X pipe. I say all of this to say, with more seat time and drag mode figured out you'll yield great results. :thumbsup:
Use as a crutch? Why do you feel the need to be a smart ass? I was only making a statement and sharing my experience. Comparing different cars at different tracks wirh different prep and with different drivers is pretty meaningless. I go to the track for fun; not to set fast time on an Internet forum.

After watching stock Mustang GTs get beat by stock 455 HP Camaros for the past several years, I also enjoy getting a bit of revenge.....which I did.

10r80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Use as a crutch? Why do you feel the need to be a smart ass? I was only making a statement and sharing my experience. Comparing different cars at different tracks wirh different prep and with different drivers is pretty meaningless. I go to the track for fun; not to set fast time on an Internet forum.

After watching stock Mustang GTs get beat by stock 455 HP Camaros for the past several years, I also enjoy getting a bit of revenge.....which I did.
Whoa man, I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings- I was asking a serious question.

I think you're confused, we're on the same team bud. Please see second part of the post again. That is not the "fastest stock tune time," I only know that because I was looking up videos before hitting the track to gauge where I was at. :cheers:

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
It's all good, 10r80. I was just trying to put some perspective on the first run with my car by sharing the mileage, DA and drag mode issue. If I had just posted a crappy time without that perspective, people would have thought I had left the hand brake on. LOL. I have been back to the strip with a few more miles on the car but in similar DA and improved by 2 tenths and 2 MPH.

I think in good air and fully broken in, the car has very low 12s in it. I doubt it will be as quick as a lightly optioned model with PP and magneride since my car is heavily optioned with goodies but lacks the 2 performance oriented options.

I am suspicious that is the wheelspin and wheelhop that is causing the car to basically shut down after the 1-2 shift in drag mode. At some point, I might have to invest in some drag radials to see if I can calm the rear end down a bit. I have the BMR cradle lock-out kit, too, but haven't had time to install it.

10r80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
It's all good, 10r80. I was just trying to put some perspective on the first run with my car by sharing the mileage, DA and drag mode issue. If I had just posted a crappy time without that perspective, people would have thought I had left the hand brake on. LOL. I have been back to the strip with a few more miles on the car but in similar DA and improved by 2 tenths and 2 MPH.

I think in good air and fully broken in, the car has very low 12s in it. I doubt it will be as quick as a lightly optioned model with PP and magneride since my car is heavily optioned with goodies but lacks the 2 performance oriented options.

I am suspicious that is the wheelspin and wheelhop that is causing the car to basically shut down after the 1-2 shift in drag mode. At some point, I might have to invest in some drag radials to see if I can calm the rear end down a bit. I have the BMR cradle lock-out kit, too, but haven't had time to install it.
I now have drag radials on 17's but the first time at the track was on street tires. Yes, get the cradle lock out installed- I have that as well.
Sponsored