Switch to full syn?

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Opening this can of worms. Mobil 1 makes some full synthetic oil using group IV base stock , PAO (poly-alpha-olefin) full synthetic base stock. This is not what they add at the US factories. This is also not the oil you get at Walmart. That oil is Group I, II, and III blended base stock (Dino) oil. They are allowed to call this a full synthetic in the USA only because a judge said they could.
Lee
Ah, I was waiting for those worms! I've previously used the Euro Spec M1 oils in my other cars. I think in those cases they were true group IV synthetics. At least that is what the Internet says.

So is it Pennzoil Ultra Platinum then? The stuff that can't ever be found for sale anywhere.
Sponsored

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I used Royal Purple In my Shelby. I think I will just use the Ford full Synthetic in this one. I don't know if it a true synthetic or not. I used Mobil 1 in my supercharged 5.0 (I like everyone believed it was Synthetic) it was fine. It's just not the best oil out there. Everyone brings up that it is what GM uses in the Corvette, I am sure GM get a very good price from Mobil and its gets the job done.
Lee

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I did the change with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a M1 filter at 2700 miles. So far there has been no ticking.

EcoboostRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I am amazed that nobody here is using Amsoil. Did you guys not do any research and read the ASTM testing results of how Amsoil compared to Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol, etc? I'm not going to roll the dice with a lesser performing oil, especially doing extended drains. I had issues with Mobil 1 synthetic. Never will I put that in my car ever again. Amsoil has never let me down ever in 20 years of using it. The extra MPG I get is a nice perk that offsets the cost of the oil.

Sponsored

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
i did 2 fill ups with mobil 1 full syn(or so i though, didnt really do the research, lol) ran it for about 13k miles(about 6500 miles each change) and haven't had any issues with it. i did switch to pennzoil ultra platinum. i've used the fl500s filter in all changes though.

you can find the penn ultra plat at amazon sometimes for about $24/5qts, sometimes walmart will sell it online at about that price as well.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Doing my first oil change myself at 10k miles. Switching to mobile 1 full synthetic 5w-20 and sticking with that. I ran the 5w30 variety in the 2012 malibu before this and really liked the performance. No reason to switch.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I am amazed that nobody here is using Amsoil. Did you guys not do any research and read the ASTM testing results of how Amsoil compared to Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol, etc? I'm not going to roll the dice with a lesser performing oil, especially doing extended drains. I had issues with Mobil 1 synthetic. Never will I put that in my car ever again. Amsoil has never let me down ever in 20 years of using it. The extra MPG I get is a nice perk that offsets the cost of the oil.
What oil you are using isn't the most important part. You could use any of the popular oil brands out there and be fine. The key to this whole thing is remembering to change the oil. The OCI is what keeps a healthy engine. You aren't going to get any extra MPG by using Amsoil. The ONLY way you pick up MPG when changing oil is by going to a lesser weight oil. Say going from a 5w-50 to a 5w-20 for example.

EcoboostRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
What oil you are using isn't the most important part. You could use any of the popular oil brands out there and be fine. The key to this whole thing is remembering to change the oil. The OCI is what keeps a healthy engine. You aren't going to get any extra MPG by using Amsoil. The ONLY way you pick up MPG when changing oil is by going to a lesser weight oil. Say going from a 5w-50 to a 5w-20 for example.
100% not true. I picked up nearly 4 MPG after switching to Amsoil in the engine, transmission and rear differential. I bench marked this driving constant back country roads with cruise control and no traffic. I wanted to see the best MPG I could get using Mobil 1 synthetic and Dexron tranny fluid and Valvoline diff fluid. After 3 back to back tank fulls, each time I consistently got about 22 MPG. So I brought the car to a shop, gave them all of the fluids and let them use a flushing machine for the tranny and then they drained the rear diff fluid out and put in Amsoil 75W90. I put Amsoil ATF int he tranny and used Amsoil 5W30 signature series. I went and did the tests again and got nearly 26 MPG every single time on the open high way. I didn't drive any different. I lived on an open farm road and just used cruise control 100% of the time to see what would happen. This is nothing I read in any marketing material or anything like that. These were my own personal experiences with this oil. I learned about this oil in a car club I went to years back and overheard people talking about it. I went out on a limb and tried it. The tranny shifted much more smooth. I had many friends also switch their tranny's over to this fluid and report the same thing. I swear by this oil now and would not/could not recommend any other fluid. My only exception this is if you're not going to keep the car and plan on selling it soon, then there's no point of investing that money in fluids. It costs me a few hundred for the labor and the fluids. But once it's in there, it lasts a LONG, LONG time.

After this experience, I was wondering why the manufacturer doesn't force people to use this oil for the warranty. Upon further research, I have found that had they done this, the dealer service department would not only lose business since breakdowns would occur much less, but that if you force a customer to use a certain brand oil, then by Federal law, you are required to furnish that customer with the oil for free. I cannot see Ford giving out millions of dollars worth of oil for free. So they let you use cheap stuff and don't care. They don't want your car lasting forever anyway.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
100% not true. I picked up nearly 4 MPG after switching to Amsoil in the engine, transmission and rear differential. I bench marked this driving constant back country roads with cruise control and no traffic. I wanted to see the best MPG I could get using Mobil 1 synthetic and Dexron tranny fluid and Valvoline diff fluid. After 3 back to back tank fulls, each time I consistently got about 22 MPG. So I brought the car to a shop, gave them all of the fluids and let them use a flushing machine for the tranny and then they drained the rear diff fluid out and put in Amsoil 75W90. I put Amsoil ATF int he tranny and used Amsoil 5W30 signature series. I went and did the tests again and got nearly 26 MPG every single time on the open high way. I didn't drive any different. I lived on an open farm road and just used cruise control 100% of the time to see what would happen. This is nothing I read in any marketing material or anything like that. These were my own personal experiences with this oil. I learned about this oil in a car club I went to years back and overheard people talking about it. I went out on a limb and tried it. The tranny shifted much more smooth. I had many friends also switch their tranny's over to this fluid and report the same thing. I swear by this oil now and would not/could not recommend any other fluid. My only exception this is if you're not going to keep the car and plan on selling it soon, then there's no point of investing that money in fluids. It costs me a few hundred for the labor and the fluids. But once it's in there, it lasts a LONG, LONG time.

After this experience, I was wondering why the manufacturer doesn't force people to use this oil for the warranty. Upon further research, I have found that had they done this, the dealer service department would not only lose business since breakdowns would occur much less, but that if you force a customer to use a certain brand oil, then by Federal law, you are required to furnish that customer with the oil for free. I cannot see Ford giving out millions of dollars worth of oil for free. So they let you use cheap stuff and don't care. They don't want your car lasting forever anyway.
Uh huh... Sell your secrets to Ford. You would be a rich man.

Thanks for the laugh for the day though, I appreciated that.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
If you are just driving it as a daily, use the Ford semi-syn blend and move on to other things in life. When the car says to change the oil, change the oil (assuming the counter has been reset at your last oil change). The first oil change I prefer to do at 2,500K though. You can go to synthetic if you do your own oil changes. Use the Ford filter.
And prefill that Ford filter before installing.

You’re engine relies on friction to complete the break in process. Full synthetic oil has better lubricity and there is a little less friction in the motor. Therefore switching too soon can slow down the break in process. I would wait at least 5K before switching. That may be old school thinking but I am old too and would rather error on the side of caution.

In my 2012 GT I did the first change at 1K using the FL 500 S filter (prefill filter) and the MC 5W-20 oil. Subsequent changes were done once a year with the same filter and oil (about 3K per year). I had one of the quietest and smoothest running 5.0’s out there so I guess I was doing something right.

Last edited:

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I wish the Pennzoil shills would go away.
Says the Amsoil shill! Yeah, multi-level marketing products are the best and you can certainly believe their marketing. Eye roll followed by a long yawn...
Sponsored