Sponsored

12v socket turns off

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I can confirm for anyone interested in plugging in a trickle charger during winter months that the 12v socket in the center console turns off at some point.

I now have my trickle charger directly connected to the battery in the engine compartment.
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I thinks it's a feature to prevent discharging. My radar detector is usually off when I get in the car.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's a feature so the vehicle does not catch on fire of someone left their device plugged in.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Mine shuts off after around 15 minutes.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Based on my experience with an early 2015 how long the sockets stay energized depends on the age and condition of the battery. I use mine to power a data acquisition system for autocrossing and need to keep the main gps active all day. In 2015 the sockets stayed energized but in 2016 they shut off too rapidly.

If you really want to give up the "don't drain the battery protection" for those sockets it can easily be done in a 2015 but you should verify that the later cars are wired the same as an early 15. Note that nothing else is on the circuit and the "hack" keeps the fuse protection!

The "pink" wire at the bottom left of the photo is the jumper. I used #10 awg wire due to the fuse rating and in case I needed to power something like a 12 volt vacuum or air compressor.

The car is back to original now since it will be traded for an 18 in a couple of weeks.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, for anyone who needs to connect a charger or heavy load such as an air compressor to the battery one of the big wires showing in the top right of the photo goes directly to the battery. It may be the center of the three cables (very obvious in the car). This is much more convenient than removing the battery cover and chasing the fasteners when they fall.:) There is a ground terminal nearby.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Weird. Just went to work. Shut my car off. Opened the door and my Radar detector ( plugged into the ciggy butt lighter ) shut right off. :lol:

Amazing :headbang:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on my experience with an early 2015 how long the sockets stay energized depends on the age and condition of the battery. I use mine to power a data acquisition system for autocrossing and need to keep the main gps active all day. In 2015 the sockets stayed energized but in 2016 they shut off too rapidly.

If you really want to give up the "don't drain the battery protection" for those sockets it can easily be done in a 2015 but you should verify that the later cars are wired the same as an early 15. Note that nothing else is on the circuit and the "hack" keeps the fuse protection!

The "pink" wire at the bottom left of the photo is the jumper. I used #10 awg wire due to the fuse rating and in case I needed to power something like a 12 volt vacuum or air compressor.

The car is back to original now since it will be traded for an 18 in a couple of weeks.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
I received a PM request to post this info again since the images went away for some reason so lets try this first:

Latching_Power_Point_Relay_in_Battery_Junction_Box_Capture.jpg

Power_Sockets_Capture.jpg

jumpered_power_point_relay.jpg