Sponsored

WTF is this noise?!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

Check out this video of a noise I'm hearing coming from my transmission in my 2016 GT PP with the MT82. To replicate this noise the car has to be in gear (1st or reverse are the worst) and coasting around 2-3k rpm, I simply press the clutch as i would to shift gears and the bang noise is heard coming from the transmission. Anyone else have this issue? Car has been at the dealership for 2 days now however, i was told to come get it as it is "normal". It was blamed on gear rollover. I researched gear rollover and what I'm hearing from my car is not gear rollover. Let me know if you guys know whats going on. I'm gonna try another dealer next week. Does anyone have the contact info for the ford customer service person on here?

Thanks!
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I’ve never heard that from my mt82

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You've got to get a better recording of it. I can't tell what you're talking about, sounds like you're running over a loose man-hole cover.

Mount your camera underneath the car?

RubyRedPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP 6-speed
If its the clunk and thud noise, I have the same issue. They claim its normal but I call bullshit as it is probably causing future damage to the transmission guts. They say it is due to the double driveshaft but what makes your driveshaft move, the transmission. What makes the gears in the transmission move, the clutch! The clutch is the issue, it almost feels like the clutch is not fully engaged causing the gears to grab creating a thud feel. If I am at a stop and I slowly move the shifter into any gear it will do it as well. If I am at a stop and I pump the clutch a few times before I go into gear, it wont thud, and If I am upshifting and I keep a little pressure on the throttle it wont thud. The dealers will not take care of it, but I am trying one more time. If they do not fix it, I will either buy a Clutch, or sell it for another Corvette as they have always been silky smooth cars! I love my 2016 Performance Pak GT, its beautiful, rides great etc... but that damn thud/clunk ruins the entire car, Ford better get it together!

RubyRedPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am curious to know if anybody has replaced the stock clutch and the thud issue was fixed, any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
If its the clunk and thud noise, I have the same issue. They claim its normal but I call bullshit as it is probably causing future damage to the transmission guts. They say it is due to the double driveshaft but what makes your driveshaft move, the transmission. What makes the gears in the transmission move, the clutch! The clutch is the issue, it almost feels like the clutch is not fully engaged causing the gears to grab creating a thud feel. If I am at a stop and I slowly move the shifter into any gear it will do it as well. If I am at a stop and I pump the clutch a few times before I go into gear, it wont thud, and If I am upshifting and I keep a little pressure on the throttle it wont thud. The dealers will not take care of it, but I am trying one more time. If they do not fix it, I will either buy a Clutch, or sell it for another Corvette as they have always been silky smooth cars! I love my 2016 Performance Pak GT, its beautiful, rides great etc... but that damn thud/clunk ruins the entire car, Ford better get it together!
Yeah man the whole “it’s normal” excuse is total bullshit. And if it is normal then the drivetrain is built like absolute shit. I’m on the same fence I love my car but the drivetrain ruins the car. I’m gonna put it up on the dyno at work and have someone drive and watch the drivetrain to see what’s going on. Maybe I’ll get to the bottom of it. Wish me luck!

RubyRedPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black keep me posted. Thanks

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I am curious to know if anybody has replaced the stock clutch and the thud issue was fixed, any feed back is greatly appreciated.
I had the stock clutch and transmission replaced 2300 miles ago or about three months. The first week it was smooth as silk no thuds. After the first two weeks and about 500 miles on clutch the thud returned.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yes, normal but yours is on the loud side. There is so much slack in the drivetrain for the new mustangs every time you change gear you get a thud.

Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I've been slowly replacing all the garbage bubble gum bushings in my driveline. It has stopped alot of the clunks and noises I heard prior to.installation. The stock shifter can cause alot of issues and noise. I would suggest getting under the car and checking your crossmember and shifter assembly for loose nuts and bolts.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I've been slowly replacing all the garbage bubble gum bushings in my driveline. It has stopped alot of the clunks and noises I heard prior to.installation. The stock shifter can cause alot of issues and noise. I would suggest getting under the car and checking your crossmember and shifter assembly for loose nuts and bolts.
I was under it not too long ago and I installed the polyurethane transmission bushing. While I was doing that I did a visual inspection of components and they looked okay. I also installed poly rear diff bushings and neither helped the noise.
Sponsored