Sponsored

2018 5.0 Highway MPG

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I realize that we have a limited number of people currently in the 2018, but I'm curious if the upgraded engine adding DI provides any fuel efficiency benefits.

The 5.0 isn't bought because of it's fuel economy, but I'm curious, what are users out there getting for MPG on conservative road trips? (Highway / 50mph back roads).
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Seeing how much more power the engine makes over the previous gen, I'm assuming the MPG will be about identical given the improved injection tech.

Reactions: 113
OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Seeing how much more power the engine makes over the previous gen, I'm assuming the MPG will be about identical given the improved injection tech.
That's kind of what I'm thinking.

I know that in smaller engines, DI makes a huge difference in fuel economy, but given how much fuel the 5.0 naturally lights up, I'm not sure if the same improvements would be seen.

We buy it for power, but it would be nice to see some reasonable mpg numbers on family day trips. :)

Reactions: 113

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm thinking it will still suck because it's 8 cylinders and this is an irrelevant topic for a car like this just like all the other MPG threads.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would expect a slight improvement. However, internet braggers are notorious on fuel economy threads on the internet.

What's the difference in the EPA ratings? That's probably the most objective measure you are going to get.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I'm thinking it will still suck because it's 8 cylinders and this is an irrelevant topic for a car like this just like all the other MPG threads.
Yeah I don't know about that. Do you think there would be anyone who wouldn't take a V8 that gets 20MPG and makes the same power as a V8 that gets 15MPG? Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean people wouldn't prefer it.

I mean it's kind of a big reason why the next Mustang will be a hybrid.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've read PP owners here absolutely swearing they get 30MPGs on the freeway.

This shows you that what people here claim is worth something slightly less than nothing.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Yeah I don't know about that. Do you think there would be anyone who wouldn't take a V8 that gets 20MPG and makes the same power as a V8 that gets 15MPG? Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean people wouldn't prefer it.

I mean it's kind of a big reason why the next Mustang will be a hybrid.
Well, if that was the case then we'd all be in Camaros because it gets better MPG, right? MPG is a non factor in this class of cars.

There isn't really a single V8 that gets good gas mileage outside of cylinder deactivation cruising on a highway at 50 mph with no hills. City driving kills it every time in any car.

The DI addition may change your highway mileage by 1-2 mpg if you're lucky. If you're worried about MPG, you're looking at the wrong number of cylinders for this category. Technology can only do so much, but you still have 8 cylinders.

The electric assisted motor will certainly help by using it to control city driving more while utilizing the torque for performance. That's about the only massive change to MPG you will see in the future in regards to having a V8.

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So much ignorance in this thread. The injection used for cruising is completely difference from that which is used for hard acceleration. DI improves combustion efficiency from 10-15%. There should be a 10-15% gain in fuel economy while cruising, period.

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I have a little over 2100 miles on my A10. I would estimate about half are freeway miles. I drive around 90 on the freeway, and drive pretty spirited around town. My average mileage so far is 16.4 according to the fuel tracking app on my phone. I think 20 on the freeway is pretty accurate. You could probably do better if you drive slower than I do, and take it easy accelerating.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Lol it will be the same f mpg threads lol

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I've read PP owners here absolutely swearing they get 30MPGs on the freeway.

This shows you that what people here claim is worth something slightly less than nothing.
They must have some magical A10. My 6spd gets 16mpg running hard around town, and 21-22mpg on the highway. My combined has been 18-20. Not too bad, considering I have a heavy right foot. I have no doubt I could see 25mpg cruising on the highway.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
DI improves combustion efficiency from 10-15%. There should be a 10-15% gain in fuel economy while cruising, period.
If all else remains the same then yes simply adding the DI would equate to 10-15% gain in fuel economy.

But the changes to the 18 Coyote are more than just the DI. They added displacement and increased flow into the engine (better intake manifold, better heads). All that will increase fuel consumption and it will negate alot of the "10-15% gains in fuel economy" from the DI.

The ignorance continues.
Sponsored