Sponsored

Ford Ranger

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Thinking about a Ford Ranger to replace my Jeep as company for the Mustang - any comments?

Thanks
Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Donā€™t know what model jeep you have, but I reckon youā€™d be pleased with it. Not many 4x4s out there that offer the level of comfort and luxury (depending on spec) AND off-road capabilities of the current gen Ranger. A close second to the Land Rover defender for many farmers and recently reintroduced in the states for people who donā€™t want something the size of the F150 as well as being the platform for the next gen Bronco.

I almost replaced my stang with one of these last year as I was struggling a bit with practicality but still wanted something fun and interesting to drive and it fit the bill perfectly. Felt a lot like my ā€˜93 Cherokee.

What model are you looking at?

OP
OP
Avdb

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Thanks. Either the double cab 2.2 Black edition or 3.2 Wildtrak

Current Jeep is Wrangler Overland model...

arran-wrangler.jpg

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Iā€™d go for wildtrack simply because of the extra grunt and that 5 cylinders are more pleasing to the ear, particularly when it comes to diesel. The yanks will get the option of the 2.3 ecoboost Petrol and slightly better styling. Also the wildtrack trim is at least as good as that in the 2015-17 mustang, only with real leather on the dash!

Donā€™t know how it will compare to the wrangler. Have you been able to test drive yet?

OP
OP
Avdb

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
No test drive yet - no rush - waiting for Mustang first.

I wonder if the 2019 Ranger 2.3 ecoboost A10 version is based on the same stuff as Mustang EB and if Ford will bring this to the UK next year

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Weā€™ve been considering a Ranger as a replacement for our Grand Cherokee Hemi.
IMG_2954.jpg

The trouble is, that the Jeep has got 330bhp so itā€™s a breeze when towing the trailer with 800kg of Charlie:)
IMG_2951.jpg

Iā€™m sure the 3.2 Ranger will have plenty of torque for towing, but the thing that really puts me off is the Mrs using a diesel for day to day duties, which involve 2 miā€e round trips to the field twice a day.... How long before we run into filter and DPF troubles using a diesel for such short trips??:shrug:

I wish someone did a V6 or V8 pickup in RHD but it appears there arenā€™t any..:rant:

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
I've had a Ranger as my daily for almost a year now. We only get the 3.2 here and mine was a special edition FX4 that's sort of a Wildtrak but with the XLT sportbar and no roller shutter.

I'm happy with it. Comfortable for what's essentially a commercial vehicle, slower than my old Pajero but that was modded. Be aware that it probably has slightly less rear leg room than your Jeep but is probably a step up in every other way. Definitely recommend going and test driving one though because it's you that'll have to live with it. Something that I like or don't even notice may annoy you a lot so you need to see for yourself.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Weā€™ve been considering a Ranger as a replacement for our Grand Cherokee Hemi.
IMG_2954.jpg

The trouble is, that the Jeep has got 330bhp so itā€™s a breeze when towing the trailer with 800kg of Charlie:)
IMG_2951.jpg

Iā€™m sure the 3.2 Ranger will have plenty of torque for towing, but the thing that really puts me off is the Mrs using a diesel for day to day duties, which involve 2 miā€e round trips to the field twice a day.... How long before we run into filter and DPF troubles using a diesel for such short trips??:shrug:

I wish someone did a V6 or V8 pickup in RHD but it appears there arenā€™t any..:rant:
You want to test drive the Grand Cherokee Srt, I test drive one last week, stunning bit of kit and what a great noice it makes:thumbsup:, quite fast as well with the 6.4l and 475hp :thumbsup: 0-60 in 4.4 not bad for over 2 tons but if thatā€™s not quick enough for you then they the supercharged version out this year with nearly 700hp :eyebulge: 0-60 3.5 called a trackhawk, should be called a beast :lol:

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver

why dont you put a coyote V8 from a stang in the ranger :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
A mate of mine has a 2.2. His comment was very nice truck, but engine gutless. Wished he gone for the larger motor.

OP
OP
Avdb

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Don't think the F150 is available in the UK.

Diesels are becoming less popular and for frequent short journeys they are perhaps not ideal.

Will consider petrol alternatives - the 2.3 EB Ranger might be worth waiting for.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ranger Raptor? Fucking epic looking truck :headbang: closest we'll get to the F150, but not sure it's 100% heading to the UK.

Anyway, that's what I'd go for if I was in the market for something like that :ford:
1fordraptor.jpg

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
Like you, my Mustang keeps the company of a Wrangler. Before you do anything i would wait until later this year and try the New JL which should be here by the Autumn. Comments from the US suggest its a big improvement in some areas of the JK.
Sponsored