Sponsored

Rattle that follows my Mustang's

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Have one on right side near the rear. Comes and goes. My Focus ST rattles from day one.
I’m used to them by now.
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect someone is tying tin cans to your tailpipe. :D

TC

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
A suggestion to those with the paperclip sounds, check your tweeters in the A-pillar. My 2018 GT started doing this about a month after taking delivery. I tracked it down to the tweeter in the A-pillar. Take off the plastic cover (comes off easy) and place your finger on the tweeter and go over a rough surface and see if the sound comes back. Have someone sit in the passenger seat if the noise is coming from that side and have the person do the same thing with the tweeter on the passenger side.

I put some felt material to keep the tweeter from buzzing. I am not willing to tear into the A-pillar as I am afraid to mess it up and start having more rattles/buzzing sound.
Well you nailed it, the right tweeter was the culprit. I'm going to go through the car and see what else I can find.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have one on right side near the rear. Comes and goes. My Focus ST rattles from day one.
I’m used to them by now.
My wifes Fusion has rattles from the sun visors, cheap plastic inside of them you can actually feel the things inside moving around. Aside from them being useless for my wife they rattle something fierce.

I hate taking a car in for rattles, most of the time I get it back with more.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Well you nailed it, the right tweeter was the culprit. I'm going to go through the car and see what else I can find.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
I am glad to be of help. BTW love the color of your GT. :cheers:

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I've had my fair share of Mustang's over the years. Within 500 miles, every single one of them developed a rattle on the right side of the car, could be door, trim, who knows but I'll be damned if every single one of them developed the same frackin rattle.

When it showed up Saturday night I actually smiled. I HATE RATTLES and I will hunt them down, I'll hunt this one down as well oh yes I will!
A rattle, hmmm!

Did you look in the rear view mirror to see if a Camaro was following you?

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad to be of help. BTW love the color of your GT. :cheers:
Thanks, I was looking for Kona Blue when I chanced upon a Crimson Red convertible at my dealer. I was blown away, it's different enough that it stands out when surrounded by other Mustang's. I had to have it and it's one year only which is fantastic. :headbang:

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A rattle, hmmm!

Did you look in the rear view mirror to see if a Camaro was following you?
Ok, this is a true story I chit you not. My best friend is a Chevy fanatic, back in 1997 I was in the market for a new Mustang. We both knew how slow they were that year so he tells me I have to test drive a Camaro, he thinks I'll like them enough to buy over a Mustang.

We test drive a brand new one and as we pull out of the dealer the dash drops a few inches after we hear a loud bang. Apparently something wasn't tightened and got missed at the factory.

I turned that POS around and parked it, the salesman says "that's what the warranty is for!!" I looked over at my buddy and just started laughing. I did buy a new GT that year, it was a dog but it was also beautiful.

He has never been able to live that down. Fast forward to my new Mustang, he took it for a drive and is now thinking about buying his first Ford after a lifetime of nothing but Chevy he was that impressed.

So yes, it is possible a Camaro was following me. :lol:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Anyone having issues with the dash panels creaking?

The trim around the instrument cluster seems to have enough play in it that it might cause problems too.

The rattling in my last car was one of the reasons I traded it in. :( But this is nowhere near as bad.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone having issues with the dash panels creaking?

The trim around the instrument cluster seems to have enough play in it that it might cause problems too.

The rattling in my last car was one of the reasons I traded it in. :( But this is nowhere near as bad.
Everything in mine seems tight right now, the tweeters in the a-pillars have loose grills that bothered me but I took care of that. The passenger seat belt would smack against the plastic trim, that drove me crazy until I moved it where the loop is.

As far as Ford has come they still need to improve the interior fit and finish and saving the leather covered console for the Power Pack is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Here are the locations with rattles that I worked on and fixed.

1. PP Aluminum Dash Rattle - Felt Paper on all Clips fixed the issue
2. PP Vacuum and Oil Pressure Gauge Squeak - Felt Paper between the Aluminum Dash and the Gauges plus a toothpick tip in the center back of the gauge fix the issue.
3. Seat Belt Passenger and Driver Side Squeak and Rattle - Black Foam Tape on the Seat Belt fix the issue.
4. Rear Deck Area Rattle on Highway - Removing the Rear Seats and Deck Cover, and applying Sound deadening on the metal surfaces fix the problem
5. Door Panel Passenger Side Speaker Rattle - Removing the door panel and applying Sound deadening on the speaker housing solved the problem.
6. Instrument Cluster Rattle and Squeak - Removing the instrument cluster to do this trim piece under the steering wheel entirely needs to be removed to show 2 screws which holds the cluster and applying felt paper on the edge of the back side of the rings and clips solved the problem.
7. Shifter Lock Out Ring for Manuals - Switching to any after market shifter should solve the problem. It rattles when the car is cold on high rpms.
8. Passenger Seat and Driver Seat Plastic Bolt Cover Rattle on the Floor - This will happen with an aftermarket exhaust and the plastic covers will rattle. Solution is removing all of them.
9. Passenger side exhaust braided expansion joint underneath the car makes pop corn shaking noise - To fix the the exhaust bolts need to be loosen up and spray lubricant (High Temp Resistant) should be applied on the bolts and braided expansion joint entirely.

I hope this helps to everyone. I from all of the owners probably had the most rattle experience with a mustang. It was probably due to early production model Sep 2014 built. Picked the car up at the end of same month.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the locations with rattles that I worked on and fixed.

1. PP Aluminum Dash Rattle - Felt Paper on all Clips fixed the issue
2. PP Vacuum and Oil Pressure Gauge Squeak - Felt Paper between the Aluminum Dash and the Gauges plus a toothpick tip in the center back of the gauge fix the issue.
3. Seat Belt Passenger and Driver Side Squeak and Rattle - Black Foam Tape on the Seat Belt fix the issue.
4. Rear Deck Area Rattle on Highway - Removing the Rear Seats and Deck Cover, and applying Sound deadening on the metal surfaces fix the problem
5. Door Panel Passenger Side Speaker Rattle - Removing the door panel and applying Sound deadening on the speaker housing solved the problem.
6. Instrument Cluster Rattle and Squeak - Removing the instrument cluster to do this trim piece under the steering wheel entirely needs to be removed to show 2 screws which holds the cluster and applying felt paper on the edge of the back side of the rings and clips solved the problem.
7. Shifter Lock Out Ring for Manuals - Switching to any after market shifter should solve the problem. It rattles when the car is cold on high rpms.
8. Passenger Seat and Driver Seat Plastic Bolt Cover Rattle on the Floor - This will happen with an aftermarket exhaust and the plastic covers will rattle. Solution is removing all of them.
9. Passenger side exhaust braided expansion joint underneath the car makes pop corn shaking noise - To fix the the exhaust bolts need to be loosen up and spray lubricant (High Temp Resistant) should be applied on the bolts and braided expansion joint entirely.

I hope this helps to everyone. I from all of the owners probably had the most rattle experience with a mustang. It was probably due to early production model Sep 2014 built. Picked the car up at the end of same month.

Cheers!
Seriously, Ford needs to see this and hire you for interior rattle proofing. The fact they don't use felt where parts can rattle is astounding. I know the bean counters scream cost! cost! cost! but for me paying this much for a "Premium" car should net a premium experience and Ford even though I love them has a way to go with this.

Awesome write up, definitely saving as new rattle show up.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Did your car have felt already applied to the seat belts?

On delivery my driver's belt had a felt cover and the passenger's side had a thicker pad. I found it odd that they were padded differently. Although the driver's belt could be assumed to always be in use.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did your car have felt already applied to the seat belts?

On delivery my driver's belt had a felt cover and the passenger's side had a thicker pad. I found it odd that they were padded differently. Although the driver's belt could be assumed to always be in use.
I just bought mine a few weeks ago, felt pads?? Can you take a picture?
Sponsored