nmusti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 convertible
Hi all,

I've got some extra cash and I'm ready to make an exhaust change. I already have a stock GT exhaust on my V6, but now I want something a little louder and have pretty much settled on the Borla Stinger or the Ford performance Sport by Borla both are axle back systems. I'm assuming since I have the GT stock installed I would need to go with the Borla GT exhaust to match up the pipe. Right?

Is anyone familiar with the Ford performance exhaust? I can't really find out what the difference is with that and the Stinger other than it's slightly more expensive? Since I've got a V6 is the performance exhaust overkill?

Any thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Since you're looking at axle back system, yes you should go with GT ones so it matches up with the rest of the exhaust pipes. If you don't, it shouldn't be a huge deal - you just need adapter pipes (2.5" to 2.25")

I had GT pipes than had Ford Performance Touring mufflers welded on and later had a Steeda x-pipe added in. No issues really, just gets a bit boomy around 3k but should be better once I get shorties on there. The FP ones have a slightly different sound to them the rest of the Borla line up, haven't heard them all in person but Borla has a video out there somewhere.

Exhaust is mostly for sound instead of performance, so no it's not overkill.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I've never heard a V6 Mustang with an aftermarket exhaust sound good. Loud- yes. Good- not even close.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
And I think a lot of the GTs with aftermarket exhausts sound like shitty tin factories but we all do it anyway lol

I enjoy it while I drive it, friend rode along and thought it sounded nice. Haven't heard it from outside the car though, but nobody has complained about it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Exhaust and how it sounds is PURELY opinion. I have the MBRP Street GT cat back on my V6 with (2) small Vibrant resonators welded in the h-pipe. I get compliments all the time. No drone. No rasp. Not stupid loud. In fact a GT guy was trying to tell me I was BS'ng him that my car was a V6.

I'm sure a lot of people would think it's not loud enough. Been there done that - no thanks.

Personally, one of the most popular GT exhaust combinations - I think it sounds horrible. But it's not my car and not my $ so why should I care?

So it's all personal and very subjective. Haunt Youtube listening to clips and find what YOU like - it's your car.

Sponsored

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Ford Performance by Borla

A few months ago I installed a set of axleback Ford Racing by Borla (touring) on my V6 with stock GT exhaust, and I love the sound. At idle it almost sounds like stock (except when you start the engine), maybe a bit deeper than stock. At low RPMs you hear a nice deep tone; then it comes alive at mid and high RPMs. NO drone at all. I love it. Although I can't honestly say that it sounds like a v8, two people have asked me what engine I had because they couldn't tell by the exhaust tone.
I spent some time doing some research between the touring and the S-type, and I'm glad I chose the touring. The sound it not loud inside the car, although you will hear a nice racing tone with windows up when you step on the gas. It is definitely more noticeable outside the car. My search for an exhaust system is over.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
If you're buying an exhaust, it's all about sound. Performance is negligible. So just buy what you think you'll like the sound of every time you drive the car. I got the Roush Axle Back and it's perfect for me. If some people don't like the sound of aftermarket V6 cars, no problem. It's all personal preference at the end of the day. I'm not losing sleep over what other people think about the mufflers on my car.

Honestly, when the weather breaks I hardly ever listen to my radio. I just roll down the windows and listen to my exhaust. If you're into hearing your exhaust and the pops and crackles on downshifts and what not then I think it's worth every penny.

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If you're buying an exhaust, it's all about sound. Performance is negligible. So just buy what you think you'll like the sound of every time you drive the car. I got the Roush Axle Back and it's perfect for me. If some people don't like the sound of aftermarket V6 cars, no problem. It's all personal preference at the end of the day. I'm not losing sleep over what other people think about the mufflers on my car.

Honestly, when the weather breaks I hardly ever listen to my radio. I just roll down the windows and listen to my exhaust. If you're into hearing your exhaust and the pops and crackles on downshifts and what not then I think it's worth every penny.
Quoted for Truth.
I have the Flowmaster Outlaws on my V6 and the guys at the Quicklane at the Ford Dealership rev it every time. The Manager glances over at me sitting there but I just smile. The V6 has a different sound to it but it aint bad.
I have had plenty of Dragonslayer V8s in my time and I have no problem with this V6.

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
I recently installed the corsa x-treme catback exhaust system. No regrets. Quiet when you cruise, but push the gas pedal a little more and you hear a very loud monster waking up. I'd never trade it for anything else.

Sponsored

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I have the corsa xtreme quads on mine and love them low when you need it to be and awesome at wot

OP
OP

nmusti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 convertible
Thanks all for your feedback. I listened to a bunch of videos online and I'm going with the Roush axle-backs. Drone was one of my concerns and I've heard Borla's do a good job eliminating that, but after I read the reviews on the Roush I feel I should be good with those as well and it's a nice bang for the buck.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Thanks all for your feedback. I listened to a bunch of videos online and I'm going with the Roush axle-backs. Drone was one of my concerns and I've heard Borla's do a good job eliminating that, but after I read the reviews on the Roush I feel I should be good with those as well and it's a nice bang for the buck.
Awesome! Roush squad! You're going to enjoy them. If you're installing yourself, make sure those clamps are TIGHT. I didn't torque mine down enough and had an annoying exhaust leak for awhile before I finally got under the car and figured out where the drone was coming from. That's not Roush's fault, all user error on my part. I actually replaced the clamps that go over where you cut the stock pipes with a lap joint clamp and it fixed my problem. Zero drone. When they break in and they're warm....they sing. Especially over 4k rpm.
Sponsored