Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi everyone,

apologies to start another thread entirely, but wanted this to be easier to find for anyone searching vs. adding to my own thread or the Girodisc thread I started. Which ever way I go, I'll document here (and in my thread).

As some have seen in person or heard from me, I've been known to get the brakes pretty warm :D (as evident of a G-Loc pad falling off the backing plate at Buttonwillow during the private track day).

I'm on the search for some ways to make things more efficient or keep things a bit cooler (or both). Has anyone modded the OEM setup? I've seen the Cooltech brake "fins," but those seem to have pretty mixed reviews.

I found this online was wondering if anyone has experimented with it? Looks like maybe it's compatible?

http://shopcapaldiracing.com/fp350s-brake-duct-kit/
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Stock pads shouldnt fade or fail when using a good fluid like Castrol SRF.

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Black Stripes
I know the feeling... My front G-LOC R18's got destroyed after 2 track days :doh: I'm modifying the OEM brakes with the below next week and taking them to the track in June. I HOPE they improve braking and wear and tear.

Ferodo GT350 Front Brake Pads - DSUNO
Cooltech Brake Ducts
Titanium Brake Pad Shims - Front
Caliperfexion front caliper stud & extension sleeve
Castrol React SRF Racing Brake Fluid

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

apologies to start another thread entirely, but wanted this to be easier to find for anyone searching vs. adding to my own thread or the Girodisc thread I started. Which ever way I go, I'll document here (and in my thread).

As some have seen in person or heard from me, I've been known to get the brakes pretty warm :D (as evident of a G-Loc pad falling off the backing plate at Buttonwillow during the private track day).

I'm on the search for some ways to make things more efficient or keep things a bit cooler (or both). Has anyone modded the OEM setup? I've seen the Cooltech brake "fins," but those seem to have pretty mixed reviews.

I found this online was wondering if anyone has experimented with it? Looks like maybe it's compatible?

In for comments!

Cooltech Fins:

A couple months ago there was a discussion about these in one of the fb groups (corner ponies/TMO). The engineer that designed these showed up and started explaining the design process (same guy in Vorschlag video). Long/short; they grab air from under the car and direct it towards the brakes (on the GT). The 350's front end is lower than the GT making these fins less useful.

Brake Duct Kit:

I did a quick search and found Summit has several kits that may work as well.

Are you monitoring your caliper & rotor temps? If so, how? (i.e. temp sticker/paint)

I've been thinking about using a stick on thermometers on the front calipers just to get an idea how hot the brakes are getting. This data would allow me to make an informed decision about brake fluids, pads, and ducting.

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
In for comments!

Cooltech Fins:

A couple months ago there was a discussion about these in one of the fb groups (corner ponies/TMO). The engineer that designed these showed up and started explaining the design process (same guy in Vorschlag video). Long/short; they grab air from under the car and direct it towards the brakes (on the GT). The 350's front end is lower than the GT making these fins less useful.

Brake Duct Kit:

Are you monitoring your caliper & rotor temps? If so, how? (i.e. temp sticker/paint)

I've been thinking about using a stick on thermometers on the front calipers just to get an idea how hot the brakes are getting. This data would allow me to make an informed decision about brake fluids, pads, and ducting.
I came across this video on FB. Good info in here on S550 brakes in general from a Ford engineer.

This

rushca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White OTT
I have read on the track shelby FB page that aftermarket cooling ducts etc.. are not good on the GT350 and can have the opposite effect , YMMV though.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I wish the engineer responsible for the GT350's brakes could open up like that. Great guy that worked on systems dating back to the Fox chassis. The M-2300-K kit was his baby as well. We had a few interesting conversations regarding why Ford ended up with an SHW rotor (as opposed to Brembo), why the GT350's caliper uses a fixed bridge, where the GT350 wheel hub/bearing came from, and why caliper studs are such a great idea (:)). I know he was working on the GT500 calipers well over a year ago and they look to be a larger variant of the GT350 caliper.

We sure have come a long way from drum/drum or disc/drum systems, thank God.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I haven’t used that product but would think anything that can concentrate and increase airflow over the calipers would help.. As long as they’re not a pain in the ass to install and maintain..

Check the Ti shims here (at least for keeping your fluid temps a bit lower)
https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/2578_2016+Ford+Mustang+Shelby+GT350
I'm hoping to find something that is removable, but just starting my research - so still a long way to go. I do currently use Ti shims and they seem to be helping keep my dust boots a live a bit longer, but they're not a miracle product (at least for me).

Stock pads shouldnt fade or fail when using a good fluid like Castrol SRF.
I've had the opposite experience. If you're running smooth laps and being nice on things, the stock pads and fluid work great. They're very capable. However, start pushing the car hard and both start to show weakness (pads will last 1-2 days and fluid will boil).

I know the feeling... My front G-LOC R18's got destroyed after 2 track days :doh: I'm modifying the OEM brakes with the below next week and taking them to the track in June. I HOPE they improve braking and wear and tear.

Ferodo GT350 Front Brake Pads - DSUNO
Cooltech Brake Ducts
Titanium Brake Pad Shims - Front
Caliperfexion front caliper stud & extension sleeve
Castrol React SRF Racing Brake Fluid
Nice! Keep us updated on how you like DSUNO pads compared the R18s. If you can, run a session or 2 without the cooltech brake fins and then some with to see if the temps lower.

In for comments!

Cooltech Fins:

Brake Duct Kit:

I've heard the same about the fins. And it makes sense. I'm just starting to get scientific about it now that things are continuing to get hotter for me. Moving to Texas - heat will really become a problem. I have stick on thermometers in the mail, so I plan to run those at a local track in TX to get a baseline. Then on trying a few things to see what works.

I came across this video on FB. Good info in here on S550 brakes in general from a Ford engineer.

Great info - especially for those running the inverted hats. I did get a feeling of "good enough" in regards to the brake cooling performance on the Performance Pack + GT350 (partly based on the fact that the Boss was their measurement goal and that has an entire aftermarket of brake ducting).

I have read on the track shelby FB page that aftermarket cooling ducts etc.. are not good on the GT350 and can have the opposite effect , YMMV though.
I can definitely see that for the brake fins if they redirect airflow negatively. Can't imagine how dedicated brake ducting that dumps air directly onto the rotor could have the same ill-effect tho. But I am open to data points :D

Sponsored
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wish the engineer responsible for the GT350's brakes could open up like that. Great guy that worked on systems dating back to the Fox chassis. The M-2300-K kit was his baby as well. We had a few interesting conversations regarding why Ford ended up with an SHW rotor (as opposed to Brembo), why the GT350's caliper uses a fixed bridge, where the GT350 wheel hub/bearing came from, and why caliper studs are such a great idea (:)). I know he was working on the GT500 calipers well over a year ago and they look to be a larger variant of the GT350 caliper.

We sure have come a long way from drum/drum or disc/drum systems, thank God.
It would be really, really great if he could/would interview with the racing/track community. Would be great to hear more context!

And yes, we've come a LONG way :)

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard the same about the fins. And it makes sense. I'm just starting to get scientific about it now that things are continuing to get hotter for me. Moving to Texas - heat will really become a problem. I have stick on thermometers in the mail, so I plan to run those at a local track in TX to get a baseline. Then on trying a few things to see what works.
I live in Arizona, so heat in general is a concern of mine as well. Hope the move goes smoothly.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R

FWIW, I used a kit like this on my 04 Z06 with fabulous results. It's a bitch to install, but with air directed onto the back of the caliper, it works very well. Those brakes are not nearly as good as the stock GT350 brakes and can get hot quickly, esp on a track like AMP. Have only tracked my R at AMP for a day and noted that the brakes do hold up very well, but toward the end of a warm (not hot) day, they did start to get a little soft. I concluded that a little help would be good and I have bought the little wings, but have not yet installed them. Was hoping for a model specific duct kit, like the one in your link, for the Shelby. Not sure if anyone does that yet. Good luck and pls share your results.

:ford: :cheers:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
First FP350S I've seen delivered. Note the diverter plates they rivet to the fascia to direct airflow into the brake cooling ducts. I didn't see these at Capaldi's site...

zA156E0CC-0C2D-4BD6-BD35-281A8D0F85C1-XL.jpg

z01c92c19b25ed5ef6c8ba4edce7103b4-X2.jpg
Sponsored