Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Yea i love the stang but i can't enjoy it fully with the random issues i've had. I bought a new car and have had to fix things left and right.
I am doing bumper to bumper repairs.
I'm in total agreeance with you there. Peace of mind is priceless. A guy shouldnt have to drive his car in shame, disappointment, with a complete lack of confidence and pride. If i can't shake it and/or if my car is f'd up....ill take the hit....again, for peace of mind. But who's to say the SS(or other vehicle) would be perfect either.:shrug:
Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
Before I bought my stang, I lurked on the camaro forums to read all about their problems. They have problems also. Broken wheels, bad engines, but those seemed to be the most prevalent. Not a lot of vibe problems or tranny issues, or AC issues. My buddy has a 2017 Camaro Fifty, its pretty sweet, has 10K on it, no problems at all so far. Not a single one. But damn, its hard to see out of it. Thats the main reason I didnt want one.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
I'm in total agreeance with you there. Peace of mind is priceless. A guy shouldnt have to drive his car in shame, disappointment, with a complete lack of confidence and pride. If i can't shake it and/or if my car is f'd up....ill take the hit....again, for peace of mind. But who's to say the SS(or other vehicle) would be perfect either.:shrug:
I will keep an eye on the charger. They seem to be making some nice changes along the lines of weight reduction and increased power. Mustang is my fav though. :headbang:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Before I bought my stang, I lurked on the camaro forums to read all about their problems. They have problems also. Broken wheels, bad engines, but those seemed to be the most prevalent. Not a lot of vibe problems or tranny issues, or AC issues. My buddy has a 2017 Camaro Fifty, its pretty sweet, has 10K on it, no problems at all so far. Not a single one. But damn, its hard to see out of it. Thats the main reason I didnt want one.
I was looking at the Chevy SS. I stumbled on the forum on their issues and warranty page. Not as many horror stories, but anytime someone has engine work needed under warranty, the service people say that GM is forcing them to find any sort of a hint of abuse of the car. Including rubber in tire wells, low tread on rear tires, brake pads being abnormally low, etc.. Don't forget, they're also the carmaker that's fighting the lawsuits for their track z06 overheating on the track.

They make great cars both power and visually, but the warranty work seems worse than Ford.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I was looking at the Chevy SS. I stumbled on the forum on their issues and warranty page. Not as many horror stories, but anytime someone has engine work needed under warranty, the service people say that GM is forcing them to find any sort of a hint of abuse of the car. Including rubber in tire wells, low tread on rear tires, brake pads being abnormally low, etc.. Don't forget, they're also the carmaker that's fighting the lawsuits for their track z06 overheating on the track.

They make great cars both power and visually, but the warranty work seems worse than Ford.
The only thing worse than a new car with issues is a warranty that isn't being honored with ease.

If I have a bumper to bumper warranty you better not say shit about my speed, my hair, what i ate for breakfast, how hard i stop, etc.

You should say "We have a loaner car and will get this fixed ASAP" These cars are marketed for their power, their burnouts, their tracking ability so Chevy/Ford shouldn't get mad. Hell our cars come with a burnout button and they are burning out in the commercials.

UHHHHHHHHHH :headbonk: My first dealer said "wow... you're a pickie one" when i wanted them to fix the scratched gauge cluster. (that they scratched)

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The only thing worse than a new car with issues is a warranty that isn't being honored with ease.

If I have a bumper to bumper warranty you better not say shit about my speed, my hair, what i ate for breakfast, how hard i stop, etc.

You should say "We have a loaner car and will get this fixed ASAP" These cars are marketed for their power, their burnouts, their tracking ability so Chevy/Ford shouldn't get mad. Hell our cars come with a burnout button and they are burning out in the commercials.

UHHHHHHHHHH :headbonk: My first dealer said "wow... you're a pickie one" when i wanted them to fix the scratched gauge cluster. (that they scratched)
Yup that's the ironic part. They advertise the horsepower and 0-60/1/4 mile times to sell the cars. They don't want people actually doing that though. I get them not covering a new rod because you supercharged your car. However even if I do burnouts in my ~500hp car, it's none of the dealer's business.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

I keep bouncing back and forth on Mustang vs. Camaro. My gut instinct was Mustang when I bought my '18. Anger and frustration made me consider Camaro again, but I keep coming back to the Mustang. I just have to remember that first day when I parked the Mustang in my garage and smiled. Plus I have parts that are waiting to be installed LOL.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I keep bouncing back and forth on Mustang vs. Camaro. My gut instinct was Mustang when I bought my '18. Anger and frustration made me consider Camaro again, but I keep coming back to the Mustang. I just have to remember that first day when I parked the Mustang in my garage and smiled. Plus I have parts that are waiting to be installed LOL.
Mustang is the way to go. Unless Chevy does some major update on that engine and makes visibility better. I wouldn't want to daily a camaro.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Once we figure out this rattle issue and transmission issues ie flywheel, clutch, aluminum shift forks etc. I'll decide if I'll bring my car in and wait for a lemon law also. My shifter has been notchy AF the last week or so.

Maybe I should've listened to my wife and got a normal car. Her Grand Cherokee is actually pretty sweet. Rides good, decent MPG, 0 problems so far. No funny noises, no rattles nothing. The 8 speed auto has been flawless and is actually pretty fun to drive.
Never listen to the wife when it comes to things like these. No matter what you got a stang bro. You joined a family. Look at everyone on this thread showing concern for one another.
There is no "normal car" club. You just wave at someone in the same color civic as you and thats it. :cheers:

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Once we figure out this rattle issue and transmission issues ie flywheel, clutch, aluminum shift forks etc. I'll decide if I'll bring my car in and wait for a lemon law also. My shifter has been notchy AF the last week or so.

Maybe I should've listened to my wife and got a normal car. Her Grand Cherokee is actually pretty sweet. Rides good, decent MPG, 0 problems so far. No funny noises, no rattles nothing. The 8 speed auto has been flawless and is actually pretty fun to drive.
A coworker of mine just bought a Trailcat

Sponsored
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Mustang is the way to go. Unless Chevy does some major update on that engine and makes visibility better. I wouldn't want to daily a camaro.
that's exactly what I've been thinking. I'm sticking with Mustang.

The 2019 SS is a step in the right direction with the A10 and the new rear camera mirror.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I'm still a bit confused about this whole issue, or did I miss something. They've had your car well over a month in the shop which qualifies for lemon law, but in the beginning the Oasis note said it was normal. Even if it was not normal, after removing the engine to examine it why wouldn't they have just ordered a new engine and it could have been back on the road long before now? usually when they buy a car back its because there is something serious that cannot be traced or fixed in a reasonable time...this one sounds like dropping a new engine in would fix it.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I'm still a bit confused about this whole issue, or did I miss something. They've had your car well over a month in the shop which qualifies for lemon law, but in the beginning the Oasis note said it was normal. Even if it was not normal, after removing the engine to examine it why wouldn't they have just ordered a new engine and it could have been back on the road long before now? usually when they buy a car back its because there is something serious that cannot be traced or fixed in a reasonable time...this one sounds like dropping a new engine in would fix it.
Crazy situation!

The Oasis note was for the GT350, but since the 2018 GT has the spray bore liner and symptoms were similar, this was the only plausible explanation.

The tech found damage to cylinders 5-8 from excessive piston slap and recommended a completely new engine. Ford only approved a new short block. Head bolts are on backorder so my Mustang is just sitting in the bay, wasting time. Combination of the dealer dragging their feet and going through the hot line process with Ford.

After seeing my Mustang with no engine and parts scattered about, there is no way I would take it back, even if they could put Humpty dumpty back together again LOL

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Same boat brotha. Been seeing all those issues on Youtube, plus my shifter has been sketchy from the very beginning. I thought it was just the twin disc and needed to be broken in. Nope, still notchy and "weird". :tsk:

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I took my car in, primarily for a grinding noise I hear when letting the clutch go slowly at high RPM shifts. I also asked about the rattle. Took the foreman for a ride, before we even left he said they wouldn't look at the rattle issue because Ford said it's normal. When I showed him the grind, he asked me why I am shifting that high? I'm like "This is a performance car -_-". Him and the CSR manager tried to make me look like a 17yr teen for driving this way. He said they didn't need to look at that issue either cause it was also normal to hear noises at high RPM. Regardless I made the manager write me a work order stating they demeeded all noises as normal, albeit she also put it happens at 7k RPM despite the issue occuring at 6k and above.

I just had my clear bra done recently, was waiting to see what came of this before storing my winter car. At this point, think I'm just gonna do that now and see what happens later.

At this point I am kinda glad they didn't pull it apart until we have concrete fixes for either issue. I just wanted it documented that i complained very early in the life of the car.
Sponsored