Sponsored

2018 GT MT-82 Destroys itself.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Oh, I have no problem sharing some of the blame, however the 2013 TT that I had prior held its own for 76,000 Miles with no issues, the new Aluminum shift forks certainly have a position of blame here as well.....The changes in the 2018 MT-82 actually have been causing quite an issue for Ford, so much so that the transmissions are on back order, and the shift forks are being revised to steel once again.

Driver is always part of the issue when something breaks, but you can't over look Ford's shitty design on specific parts.
You clearly did have some problem owning up, because you said "the MT-82 randomly decided to let go....went from 2nd > 3rd at 40 mph and just hit air, shifted to 4th, air as well.

There was nothing random about it....you beat the livin' sh1t outta that gearbox. It's owners like you that give cars like this a poor reputation.

Manufacturers will always look to reduce weight and cost. When Mazda made the last RX-7, amongst a few hundred other things, they reduced the spark plug lead length by half an inch to save weight.

Ford wouldn't have gone to alloy shift forks without engineering the hell out of them. Unfortunately, in this case, they're having to engineer the gearbox to allow for owners who have no "mechanical sympathy".
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
You clearly did have some problem owning up, because you said "the MT-82 randomly decided to let go....went from 2nd > 3rd at 40 mph and just hit air, shifted to 4th, air as well.

There was nothing random about it....you beat the livin' sh1t outta that gearbox. It's owners like you that give cars like this a poor reputation.

Manufacturers will always look to reduce weight and cost. When Mazda made the last RX-7, amongst a few hundred other things, they reduced the spark plug lead length by half an inch to save weight.

Ford wouldn't have gone to alloy shift forks without engineering the hell out of them. Unfortunately, in this case, they're having to engineer the gearbox to allow for owners who have no "mechanical sympathy".

You're more than welcome to your opinion, Correct, I drove the hell out of the car, never had a single issue doing the same with my previous MT-82 out of my 2013, and I drove it harder, longer, and under more power.

They may have "Engineered the hell out of them" but they also decided to use a weaker material in a product that was already known to have failures.

The point in time in which it gave out, was indeed random, you'd suspect with the hard driving that it would give out while being beaten on, no? Random being the chosen word because it decided to let go during a normal 2 -> 3 shift.

Thanks for the input though. :headbang:

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP

Why are you so worried about his problem? He hasn't given anything a bad reputation. I can tell you without even using that transmission that using an aluminum shift fork is a terribly stupid idea.

I had a shift fork go out in my 1.8t GTI (steel) 6 speed, due to a poor design with their rivets. Yes, I beat the living shit out of that car, and I'm sure my driving aided in causing the rivet failure, but it happened to quite a few 02M trannies, that it was more than clear it was a manufacturing/design mistake.

At least he's absolutely honest about how he drives the car and isn't trying to deceive anyone here.

I'd go so far as to say he's giving honest drivers a good reputation.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
...never had a single issue doing the same with my previous MT-82 out of my 2013, and I drove it harder, longer, and under more power....
The same logic the killer used when he murdered his wife with a baseball bat.

"She didn't die the last time I beat her, officer".

:).

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The same logic the killer used when he murdered his wife with a baseball bat.

"She didn't die the last time I beat her, officer".

:).
If the transmissions were the same, I'd agree with that statement.

However with your analogy I'm beating the new and improved girlfriend (or so as claimed by the manufacturer) with the bat as apposed to the older, and less optimally designed wife :shrug:

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Mate, it's the same dog with a slightly different leg action.

You were lucky last time. Answer me this:

You going back to your "treat em mean, keep em keen" method of flat shifting when you get the car back in two weeks?

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP

You going back to your "treat em mean, keep em keen" method of flat shifting when you get the car back in two weeks?
Now I'm questioning your ability to understand simple physics. Moving from steel to aluminum for any part, no matter how engineered the new part is, is moving to a weaker material, period. That doesn't necessarily mean the new part will fail for sure, but the likelihood has increased. And if Ford is moving BACK to a steel design now, their engineers must have admitted their mistake.

You're not comparing the same thing here and are trying to put more blame on the OP, rather than a poor engineering decision. This is another case of "attack of the bean counters" and you're clearly ignoring it.

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Regardless, the analogy doesn't apply.

I will continue to drive my car as I have been, yes.

Ford has acknowledged that it is an issue, and is redesigning the forks once again to be steel and stronger.

At the end of the day, if they can't get it right, Tremec makes a fantastic swap :)

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
This is obviously a defect in the trans... if anything driveline related is gonna break from abuse, it’s gonna be the driveshaft or half shafts first. There are other 18 MT-82 GT’s with trans issues. Cut the dude some slack, at least he has the integrity to say he was hard on the car. And for god sake, people need to stop acting like they opened their wallets to buy the OP’s car. go lecture elsewhere

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....I will continue to drive my car as I have been, yes.

Ford has acknowledged that it is an issue, and is redesigning the forks once again to be steel and stronger.

At the end of the day, if they can't get it right, Tremec makes a fantastic swap :)
Do Tremec make driveshafts, differentials and clutches too?

It's a long and winding road, fella. Giddy-up.

Enjoy the mighty blue Focus :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do Tremec make driveshafts, differentials and clutches too?

It's a long and winding road, fella. Giddy-up.

Enjoy the mighty blue Focus :)
You're correct, they don't... Good thing G-force Engineering and Mcleod are around :headbang:

I'll enjoy it while I have it, try not to baby your incoming 19 too much and have some fun with it from time to time! :thumbsup:

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I would say I really appreciate your being able to hold your tongue when getting slammed by JimmyG. Good for you, I get tired of peeps on these forums slamming each other from continents apart. Thanks for keeping this clean!

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would say I really appreciate your being able to hold your tongue when getting slammed by JimmyG. Good for you, I get tired of peeps on these forums slamming each other from continents apart. Thanks for keeping this clean!
Sometimes you just have to recognize a brick wall and realize that talking to it makes you look :crazy:

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Life happens, shit breaks, fix it and move on.

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Life happens, shit breaks, fix it and move on.
Yup!

Was just curious if anyone else had run into the issue, Facebook is plastered with the same problem, so was curious if the forums would reflect that as well.
Sponsored