Installed the steeda IRS alignment kit

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Now I need an alignment of the back wheels. The driver's rear has negative camber - you can see it. A tad bit positive camber on the passenger rear, and I'm guessing the toe is out too.

So where should I take it? Any old place? Anyone in the Seattle have anyone in mind besides the 'ole Les Schwab down the street?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Somewhere that is comfortable and capable when working on S550s. If you take it to any old shop, there is a high chance that they will basically leave it as is because it is cumbersome to adjust the rear.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
NTB said since mine was lowered their equipment could not mount to the tires and have enough room to work.

I then took mine to the Ford Quick Lane shop next door to the Ford dealership near my house and they did front and rear no issues.

They were actually really cool and let me go to the back and watch them do the alignment.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
NTB said since mine was lowered their equipment could not mount to the tires and have enough room to work.

I then took mine to the Ford Quick Lane shop next door to the Ford dealership near my house and they did front and rear no issues.

They were actually really cool and let me go to the back and watch them do the alignment.
A local shop here near the ford dealership (that sells a lot of mustangs) say they can do it no problem on Wed. afternoon. So I'll see how this goes!

rayban1

Rayban1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium Guard
Cantrell Motorsports in Redmond, did my alignment and clocked my bushings after I installed my BMR 089/082 springs,CB006, CB005,Steeda Alignment kit, Steeda shock mounts, BMR Vertical Links,. There not cheap, they work on Porsche , racing shop...My car handles and drives great,,,,

Sponsored

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Cantrell Motorsports in Redmond, did my alignment and clocked my bushings after I installed my BMR 089/082 springs,CB006, CB005,Steeda Alignment kit, Steeda shock mounts, BMR Vertical Links,. There not cheap, they work on Porsche , racing shop...My car handles and drives great,,,,
Cool. I'll have to keep them in mind for the future when I start upgrading the suspension.

On a side note the shop I took it to said there's zero adjustment needed. Apparently installing that kit put things right in dead center. No reason to adjust anything...

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Interesting. Mine was dead on after getting an alignment post strut/spring and shock/spring install. Then I installed the IRS kit and stop the hop kit and went back to have it checked. It needed a minor adjustment.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Mine was dead on after getting an alignment post strut/spring and shock/spring install. Then I installed the IRS kit and stop the hop kit and went back to have it checked. It needed a minor adjustment.
Yeah I didn't believe them initially. I thought for sure at least the camber would be off since I had to wiggle the subframe over to get the bolts back in place with the sleeves in. I'm wondering if it was off before I installed the kit! No one's that lucky.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Steeda alignment pins do nothing to camber. Toe could change on account of the IRS moving into a new position when bolted down, yes. If you can see a vast difference in camber, it was already in bad shape.

RS30061

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush RS3 auto
Steeda alignment pins do nothing to camber. Toe could change on account of the IRS moving into a new position when bolted down, yes. If you can see a vast difference in camber, it was already in bad shape.
I’m not an expert, but the IRS “cradle / rear suspension” is a unit. Every part is bolted to the cradle itself except for the upper shock mounts. Therefore the camber and toe would be unaffected in the unit, but it could certainly change if you rotate or “move” the cradle in relation to the body.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I’m not an expert, but the IRS “cradle / rear suspension” is a unit. Every part is bolted to the cradle itself except for the upper shock mounts. Therefore the camber and toe would be unaffected in the unit, but it could certainly change if you rotate or “move” the cradle in relation to the body.

Correct, toe can change as read by an alignment machine due to a possible different directional orientation of the rear wheels on account of the IRS assembly being manipulated. So technically, the toe settings weren't adjusted, but you have to correct for the new orientation of the IRS with toe setting changes, which were configured for the IRS prior to its more precise alignment with the Steeda alignment pins.

Camber will be unchanged, though. That is only the angle of the wheel in relation to a 0* vertical axis.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Since I know the subframe was mis-aligned with the body towards the passenger side by 1/16"-1/8" (without looking at how the upper control arms would be oriented with the subframe) I assumed that once I aligned it that I might impact camber. It's good to know that this isn't true.

By the way - all of this is to prepare for 325/30 R19's coming in a week or so!

And of course I used my ridiculously crowned street in front of my house to judge "alignment" visually that once I was done installing this kit. I was convinced that the camber had shifted to the negative on the passenger side. On an actual flat street it's nice and straight.

Toe however wasn't out of whack at all.

So in the end this was a good lesson all around for me. I've never worked on an IRS car before. It's always been solid axle. I should have paid attention to the way the suspension is oriented to the subframe, but at the very least I took it to the alignment shop regardless, and they didn't charge me in the end.
Sponsored