Sponsored

5-channel amp going into protect mode with engine on

phx23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base
Hello,

I have a 2015 base Ecoboost. I added a 5-channel amp using high level inputs with new Focal speakers and a 10” sub. The remote line is wired through an “add-a-fuse” and amp is grounded using the rear seat bolt(sanded down to metal).

In accessory mode, the speakers and sub work fine. When I “cold” start the car, the amp turns on for a few seconds and then goes into protect mode.

However, if I turn the accessory position on, wait a few seconds and then start the car, the amp operates like normal.

I’ve undone all the connections and reconnected. Problem still exist. Called an audio shop in town and they vaguely mentioned that it could have something to do with the “push button” ignition in the Mustang... but, would not reveal much more info without me coming down to pay for an hour of diagnosis time.

Any ideas what is causing it to go into protect mode?
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Where did you pull the remote turn-on signal from?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
If you have a meter, I would measure the output at the fuse and see if it pulses when you try to start the car.

If I remember correctly, when you push the ignition button that fuses output goes positive momentarily while the accessories activate, then dips momentarily, then goes positive again to start the vehicle. I think the initial positive is enough to trigger your amp, but then the dip confuses the amp sending it into protection mode.

Before doing anything else, verify your amp by disconnecting the speakers and removing the load from the amp. Then, try again to start the car and see if the amp still goes into protect.

• If it doesn't, then you may have a speaker or wiring issue. I doubt this will be the case, but I've seen stranger things happen ;)
  • If the amp still goes into protect, you may need to put a relay in the turn on chain which will keep the 12v turn on signal constant.

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
Just jump the 12 volt power wire to the turn on lug right at the amp.If the amp stays on then you know it is ok.Then you can look for another turn on location to use.If it goes into protect mode,then something is wrong with it.

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
1 other thought......Do you have a 12 or a 14 gauge as the power wire,when most amps require an 8 or even a 4 gauge?That could make the amp startup,then shutdown.
Sponsored