Sponsored

Rear View Camera Not Available

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My camera went out today, have an appointment with the dealer in a few week. The fun never ends
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Mines really starting to act up more too. I guess I need to pay a visit to the dealer soon.

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
My GT (Premium/Convertible) rear view camera was fixed last week - they said the problem was the wiring harness in the trunk. You can see when the trunk opens and closes there is a big bundle of wires that folds open and shut. I guess it is easy for that constant flexing to cause problems (or possibly get caught on stuff and tugged around when the trunk is full).

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
My GT (Premium/Convertible) rear view camera was fixed last week - they said the problem was the wiring harness in the trunk. You can see when the trunk opens and closes there is a big bundle of wires that folds open and shut. I guess it is easy for that constant flexing to cause problems (or possibly get caught on stuff and tugged around when the trunk is full).
This is covered under normal warranty correct ?

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Update: My camera is still working, but interestingly I no longer have the green/yellow/red markers like when it was original. I only have the magnifying glass symbol but it doesn't do anything. At least it works now. I find it easier to see the image without all the markers too. Perhaps the old marker system had to be done away with for the camera to work.
Interesting. I had this exact issue probably 6-8 months ago. I have a Premium with the 8" screen (I also have the rear sensors). My car was lightly rear ended. During the repair, I believe they had to unplug the battery and/or reset something.

When I got it back, the camera worked fine but all of my lines had disappeared (both the red,yellow,green lines and the curving white lines).

Body shop tried fixing it but couldn't figure it out. Ironically, when going through the camera settings, it showed all of the lines in the "preview" but they wouldn't appear when it was actually in use. The magnifying glass didn't do anything either.

Long story short, had to drop it off at the dealer. Apparently they had never seen this issue before. They had my car for 3 days! Ultimately, they had to reset the Sync system or something (mine is a 2015 so Sync 2, not the new Sync). To do this, apparently the car had to be connected to some sort of Ford server or something along those lines and they kept having problems on their end. Finally got it working on the 3rd day, reset it, and everything was back to normal, although my start-up splash screen changed. Been working fine ever since...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that before taking it to the dealership, when the body shop was trying to fix it, they ended up ordering another camera, thinking that the camera was bad (even though I was 99.9% sure this was a software issue, not a camera issue). Sure enough, the replacement camera did nothing to fix the problem. They gave me the original [working] camera. I still have it somewhere...

Sponsored

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Yes, I am still under warranty and it was all covered at no cost (though they needed the car overnight to find and correct the problem).

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
they kept me at the dealer a few hours just to tell me my camera didnt work and had to order the part, fun waste of time.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Interesting. I had this exact issue probably 6-8 months ago. I have a Premium with the 8" screen (I also have the rear sensors). My car was lightly rear ended. During the repair, I believe they had to unplug the battery and/or reset something.

When I got it back, the camera worked fine but all of my lines had disappeared (both the red,yellow,green lines and the curving white lines).

Body shop tried fixing it but couldn't figure it out. Ironically, when going through the camera settings, it showed all of the lines in the "preview" but they wouldn't appear when it was actually in use. The magnifying glass didn't do anything either.

Long story short, had to drop it off at the dealer. Apparently they had never seen this issue before. They had my car for 3 days! Ultimately, they had to reset the Sync system or something (mine is a 2015 so Sync 2, not the new Sync). To do this, apparently the car had to be connected to some sort of Ford server or something along those lines and they kept having problems on their end. Finally got it working on the 3rd day, reset it, and everything was back to normal, although my start-up splash screen changed. Been working fine ever since...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that before taking it to the dealership, when the body shop was trying to fix it, they ended up ordering another camera, thinking that the camera was bad (even though I was 99.9% sure this was a software issue, not a camera issue). Sure enough, the replacement camera did nothing to fix the problem. They gave me the original [working] camera. I still have it somewhere...
very valuable information. thank you. i kept wondering when someone else might report a similar issue. if my car returns for warranty work, i might have the dealer reset the sync software.

GTU4EAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
When I took delivery on my GT, the rear deck lid panel had been damaged during shipment so my dealer promptly ordered and replaced the panel. A couple weeks ago I noticed the rear view camera active guide lines had disappeared. I also noticed that the camera cable was crimped and running thru the slot (instead of the actual hole) where the cable enters the rear deck lid area from within the trunk. Took it in for repair today. Here's the diagnosis and action taken as noted on my repair invoice:

Statement of problem
GUEST STATES THAT THE REAR BACK UP CAMERA LINES ARE NOT COMING ON THE SYNC SCREEN WHEN IN REVERSE. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE.

Correction/Action Taken
SELF TEST BCM, FAULT CODE B115E: 55 REAR CAMERA 7028
PINPOINT DIAG. RECONFIGURE LIW MODULE. RECHECK CAMERA OPERATION AND CHECKS OK AT THIS TIME.

As noted, all is working fine now. The crimped cable was not replaced so I will definitely keep an eye on this. If the guide lines disappear again, I'll request a replacement cable.

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
bump - I'm experiencing the same issue and my warranty expired about a month ago. Has anyone done a DIY job to resolve this?

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Is there a DIY fix that owners can do to prevent the camera wires from being crimped? Wire loom, etc.?

Kudarat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konrad
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
@ford dealership right now for intermittent back up camera issue. Been only experiencing this issue during summer time, but now it's been on and off on a daily basis. I'm on extended warranty and diagnostic fee of $130 will apply if they can't replicate the issue. I was under impression that by purchasing the extended warranty, this should cover this type of charge. Kinda frustrated.

Update:

Got my camera wiring repaired and they installed sheathing to wiring harness. Issue was caused by pinched wiring.

Last edited:

FoxPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 I4 Mustang
16 Rear Camera Not Available

Hey there, so I was having the common "rear camera not available" issue on my 16 Ecoboost. It was intermittent at first then completely gone, would have major lines etc. So I did some investigating and the wiring bundle in the trunk was the problem. As you can see from the pictures Ford installs a protective sleeve on the wires but unfortunately at the end of the sleeve is exactly where the problem is, which I removed on reassembly. The 2 wires for the camera were completed cut and one other had the protective coating broke. To make the repairs I had to cut back the protective silver coating on the 2 camera wires, then I used red butt connectors. I then taped everything very neatly back together with a good quality electrical tape. I then covered the bundle with split cable loom, then moved the factory protective sock over everything. I also added the loom all the way past the bundle mount in the upper trunk.
IMG_3566.JPG
IMG_3567.JPG
IMG_3568.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hey there, so I was having the common "rear camera not available" issue on my 16 Ecoboost. It was intermittent at first then completely gone, would have major lines etc. So I did some investigating and the wiring bundle in the trunk was the problem. As you can see from the pictures Ford installs a protective sleeve on the wires but unfortunately at the end of the sleeve is exactly where the problem is, which I removed on reassembly. The 2 wires for the camera were completed cut and one other had the protective coating broke. To make the repairs I had to cut back the protective silver coating on the 2 camera wires, then I used red butt connectors. I then taped everything very neatly back together with a good quality electrical tape. I then covered the bundle with split cable loom, then moved the factory protective sock over everything. I also added the loom all the way past the bundle mount in the upper trunk.

I guess I know what I am going to be looking at tonight when I get home!

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I guess I know what I am going to be looking at tonight when I get home!
It is the harness. When the trunk is completely open, it is fine. Put it about a quarter down, it is fine. Put it more than half way down, the picture gets wonky. Also some times it will black out. I think my failure point is the cable tie just below the trunk lid lip. The cable tie just seems to tight. That is the point were the angle of the wire changes as the trunk lid closes. I will make an appointment for next week with the dealer.
Sponsored