Metra/Kenwood combo...pics!

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
How are you liking this kit now that you have had it for a little while? The scoshe split screen kit looks a little better but I haven't heard any feedback on that one.

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Don’t buy the schose kit!

OP
OP
JCat

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
How are you liking this kit now that you have had it for a little while? The scoshe split screen kit looks a little better but I haven't heard any feedback on that one.
Hey! So far the Metra kit is as advertised. Everything works without any hitches going on a month now. I agree the Scoshe kit looks a bit more polished but I haven't seen many good reviews of the HVAC capability/reliabiltiy (not saying there aren't happy people out there...just going on what I've read on M6G).

So far here are my gripes:
1. It's a bit plain. Very flat face, lots of unused space. I'm not an engineer or designer so I won't pretend to know how to do better. Scoshe looks better.
2. The right side buttons on the climate control are useless on a base model GT since we don't have dual zone climate control.
3. Climate control screen looks odd when not in use. Background is not a uniform color - grey and white. Small gripe, yes. I'll get a picture in here tomorrow.
4. I can't think of any more. It's just a dash kit. It works, so now that I've gotten used to how it looks (which isn't too bad to begin with IMO), it's strictly a means to an end.

And here's what I like:
1. Plug and play. Beyond taking apart the dash, it's a relatively straightforward installation.
2. That god-awful SYNC module is gone. Not needed in the slightest with the Kenwood head unit and Android auto.
3. Factory reinstallation of the old head unit and SYNC module will be a breeze.
4. It works.

In the end it's all about replacing the factory head unit anyway. The Metra kit seemed to fit the bill for that purpose as well as or better than anything else out there for our cars. Upgrading to the Kenwood DDX9904S head unit really brought out the best in the other upgrades I've made to the sound system.

It's user friendly and packed with options to make it sound even better. Digital time alignment (I'm clueless here, but plan on learning lol), crossover options, 13 band EQ, etc. However a growing frustration with the Kenwood is the screen -- it suffers terribly from glare, which is a shame because when I can see it, it's really nice. Customizable options for backgounds and capacitive touchscreen (takes no pressure at all). Screen has motorized tilt to adjust viewing angle to help with glare which helps a bit. CD player is conveniently tucked away behind the head unit and opens up to expose the drive. The Kenwood is Maestro compatible but I'm not even sure if it's available for our cars. If it is, I'll pass. This was always about better sound for me. But if it's an option for any of you it'll work with the Kenwood.

I'm conflicted about Android auto. I honestly don't see a use for it beyond Google maps. Am I missing something here? What else do you use it for? I rarely play music from my phone. I suppose having access to Spotify and Pandora is cool, but I don't have unlimited data. I'd love to hear from folks who use Android auto to find out what the thrill is supposed to be...

Other than that, it's hard to tell you more. Bottom line? I'm VERY happy. System sounds like it should, now. It was quite a project getting it all together and took over a year to put it all together. But it was worth every penny and even the shortest rides take on a whole new level of fun, now.

Hope that helps!:headbang:

Jeff

Sponsored

OP
OP
JCat

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
What model Kenwood do you recommend?
I went with the DDX9904S. It's a non-nav head unit. Can't really comment on too much else since I don't actually own any of them but I can't imagine functionality and options are all that different between models at the same pricepoints....

Jeff

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
How are you liking the dash kit and the AC controls? I’m about to pick one up at the Kenwood 9904. Would you change anything? Does it look OEM and a clean finish and fit

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So this is direct plug and play that works with factory back up camera ?

juwane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
the question I have is can you still use your factory usbs? or did you have to rerun a pair of them to hook up to your phone? I personally would like to use apple carplay but unless I buy a special headunit it has to be plugged in.
Sponsored