Sponsored

2018 GT Convertible Questions

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
So, with the 10 speed auto only being on the 2018s along with more power it looks like grabbing a left over 2017 to save some money is not going to happen.

I've driven a GT premium coupe with AE/10 SPEED AUTO/PP1.

It was a blast to drive! Gonna go check out the 401a and magneride options eventually along with actually a convertible (when they finally hit).

My thought process so far is that being a convertible I don't see any need for PP1 as it will not be tracked. Magneride sounds awesome but requires PP1 so hopefully the standard suspension is perfectly adequate. Coming from the RS I suspect it will be much more comfortable.

401a for the digital dash, slightly better interior, and heated steering wheel is still yet to be determined. I suppose heated steering wheel might be nice for colder mornings or top down cooler evenings. Digital dash seems cool but might be a bit gimmicky and not worth it in the long run. NAV is worthless as I'll be using Apple Carplay.

Active exhaust was fantastic. Wife would love the quiet mode.

Stock premium wheels are terrible, so without PP1 I'm thinking black accent package might be the way to go as I like those wheels especially on the two colors I'm debating (RR, RC).

So unless my test drives change my mind, I'm thinking 2018 GT Premium Convertible/AE/AUTO/BLACK ACCENT PACKAGE.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks! :cheers:
Sponsored

Twinguin

just a little Fury
Threads
Reaction score
Website
s76.photobucket.com
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible
Sounds like a plan you have there.

I wanted to have the Magnaride, but couldn't order PP with the company lease, hence no Magnaride. I think the normal suspension setup suits the car very well and I don't find it uncomfortable - that's coming from a Continental.

Agree on the stock wheels, but went for the polished wheels, as I personally do not like the all black look.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
PP is worth it just for the dash gauges between the vents LOL

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I wonder how useful the digital dash will be will the top down on a sunny day.
That's a good question? I've just bought a used 2016 convertible and I've already had one time when the sun was relatively low in the sky and behind me. It was at just the right angle that the information display between the speedo and tach was totally washed out and impossible to read. Having said that, the situation didn't last more than a minute or so, if that long. Still, it would be very inconvenient if the entire digital dash would washout like that too, even if only under very limited circumstances. I think under most situations, it won't be a problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timeless

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Sounds like a plan you have there.

I wanted to have the Magnaride, but couldn't order PP with the company lease, hence no Magnaride. I think the normal suspension setup suits the car very well and I don't find it uncomfortable - that's coming from a Continental.

Agree on the stock wheels, but went for the polished wheels, as I personally do not like the all black look.
With the colors I'm looking at, I believe the black wheels look better.

PP is worth it just for the dash gauges between the vents LOL
Um...no. :headbonk: Now the rest that comes with it may certainly be...but on a convertible not sure it makes much sense.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
That's a good question? I've just bought a used 2016 convertible and I've already had one time when the sun was relatively low in the sky and behind me. It was at just the right angle that the information display between the speedo and tach was totally washed out and impossible to read. Having said that, the situation didn't last more than a minute or so, if that long. Still, it would be very inconvenient if the entire digital dash would washout like that too, even if only under very limited circumstances. I think under most situations, it won't be a problem.
This would be my concern as well, there are a number of times where I could really not read either the center display or the Sync display due to the wash out effect. It has never been that important, mainly because I can still clearly see the speedo, but if the speedometer was digital it would be a much larger problem. I think I would try it out, but I guess there would be some times with the top down that the dash would become unreadable. Not sure if that could be used to argue your way out of a ticket... ;)

Twinguin

just a little Fury
Threads
Reaction score
Website
s76.photobucket.com
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible
I already had some low and bright sunlight shining into the cluster. It reduces visibility a lot (probably even worse than a high summer sun), but the big digital numbers were still ok to read.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
With the colors I'm looking at, I believe the

Um...no. :headbonk: Now the rest that comes with it may certainly be...but on a convertible not sure it makes much sense.
What does that mean?

OP
OP
Timeless

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
What does that mean?
You said the PP ($3,995) was worth it for the dash gauges alone.

I disagreed...but said the rest that comes with it might be.

However, in a convertible not sure how much as it will not be taken to track events.

Sponsored

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You said the PP ($3,995) was worth it for the dash gauges alone.

I disagreed...but said the rest that comes with it might be.

However, in a convertible not sure how much as it will not be taken to track events.
Thanks for the clarification although I was being a bit facetious about the guages comment...they should be standard or a stand-alone option. True I won’t be tracking my convertible but I enjoy the firmer ride and like that my PP components mean longer life for my more relaxed driving style. Lots of convertibles DO track...add a rollbar and you’re good to go!

john94si

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
RAM
I am in the same boat. Cross shopping vert 2017s on lots comparing to new 18's.. It looks like an easy $10k in price differences plus 0% for 72 right now.

How come roush or anyone else doesn't offer a SC vert?

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
On the topic of washed out gauges, I drive with the top down a lot and in south Texas there's a lot of sunshine. Many times I can't even see my speedometer due to direct sunlight. I actually have to remove my sunglasses and lean forward to check my speed.

I can't image an all digital gauge cluster would be any better. If you order yours in Royal Crimson be sure and post pics!

OP
OP
Timeless

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Still on the fence with Royal Crimson as I need to see it in person still. I've driven a Ruby Red Eco just to get an idea of how the vert feels and still love that color.

I am amazed how heavy the vert feels compared to the GT coupe. To be fair, coming from the RS both would feel heavy and boat-like but the vert seemed especially so.

Perhaps it was also that the coupe was a PP1 car and the vert was not?

Their is another local dealer that has a black GT premium vert in stock that I might go check out. It does not have PP1 either but does have the 401a I am wanting to look at.
Sponsored