Sponsored

Where to put mini resonators. Does it matter?

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I recently was gifted a pair of Roush axle-backs from a body shop and I want to replace my stock mufflers with them. All my research has indicated I wont be happy with the rasp level combined with my resonator delete x-pipe. Thanks to some posts here, I think the addition of 2 Vibrant Bottle Style Resonators will give me the deep, non-raspy sound I desire, and tone the decibels down a little to keep the neighbors happy.

So, acoustically, does it make a difference where in the exhaust line they get installed? Before the X-pipe, after X-pipe? I have seen it added after the muffler, but don't think that'll work with a convertible.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It won't matter too much, but I would try to put them right after the X-pipe. Not enough room in the piping anywhere else.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
do you have longtubes or cat deletes? If not the x & Roush AB will sound perfect!

OP
OP
MX5Racer

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
do you have longtubes or cat deletes? If not the x & Roush AB will sound perfect!
Nope, just resonator delete x-pipe. But I can tell, even with crappy audio you-tube, there is way too much rasp for my taste. Your mileage may vary!

richmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Race Red 5.0 Premium
Highly recommend putting them right after the X pipe. Just put two 18 inch bottle style resonators from Vibrant right there and fit perfectly, and worked as you describe. So go for it!

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Highly recommend putting them right after the X pipe. Just put two 18 inch bottle style resonators from Vibrant right there and fit perfectly, and worked as you describe. So go for it!
Do you have a part # for those?

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i did this for awhile (roush ab and xpipe) and ended up going with bottle resonators too they didnt really quiet it down too much but def helped with the tinny rasp. could also be the aluminized steel xpipe i have but it sounds much better with the bottle resonators. i went 12" ones tho and cut the back of the xpipe and welded them in there

OP
OP
MX5Racer

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
OP
OP
MX5Racer

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So what differences can I expect using 18" vs 12"?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Unless your partial to loud exhaust I'd suggest the 18". A vert with Roush AB is going to be loud, and these resonators don't do a heck of a lot based on the limited space they have for sound deadening.

My 18" Magnaflows are going on this weekend in place of my cats.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unless your partial to loud exhaust I'd suggest the 18". A vert with Roush AB is going to be loud, and these resonators don't do a heck of a lot based on the limited space they have for sound deadening.

My 18" Magnaflows are going on this weekend in place of my cats.
Actually yeah, now that you mention it, with a 'vert, do the 18".

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Actually yeah, now that you mention it, with a 'vert, do the 18".
You know.....I was thinking this is a rare time that Bmac and I don't agree on something. But alas...... :D

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
In the same boat. I've got the Magnaflow Competition. Deep, loud and a bit of drone at highway cruising speeds (~2500rpm). Getting a set of MAK cat deletes installed soon so ordered a set of the 12" Vibrants from Summit to try and tone it down as i'm expecting it to be too loud and the drone increase. Will be installing them after the x in place of the straight portion. Only place I could see them fitting as the rest of the piping is curved.

In answer to your question, It probably won't make any difference acoustically but the resonators themselves should cut down some of the rasp and a little volume (based on reviews on Summit for various vehicles).

OP
OP
MX5Racer

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So I finally got around to getting this done. I purchased the 18" Vibrant Bottle Resonators and welded them about 3" after the H-pipe (was mistaken about having x-pipe) and welded the Roushes in place. The muffler shop was giving me the hairy eyeball about the resonators, not understanding why I would put those on for. But when they were done, they were extremely surprised how good it sounded! They did not expect it to sound as bad ass as it does.
Slightly louder at idle than my previous setup (all stock except res-delete H-pipe), but a much deeper tone. Hit the gas and that deep tone picks up a couple notches in loudness with absolutely no rasp. Floor it and it just sounds mean, again with no rasp, pops, or crackles. And the rev matching is icing on the cake! Not bad for $200 total investment!
Sponsored