Sponsored

WTF is this sound??

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Seems to be a bad week for me.. My BOV is faulty only after about a month of use and now this.

WTF is this sound? It started happening randomly, only thing I've done recently is a smoke test and changing my spring to a steeda one..

Any ideas?? It kind of sounds like its coming from underneath the car. I think its air or something exiting? Can my cats be clogged? They're stock. I was planning on getting a cat delete soon.

I know my switchbacks are flickering, just waiting for my mesh to come in so I can swap to the arrow. That way I dont have to take my bumper off twice.

My car was running excellent, now I have the whole BOV issue with fluttering and this HORRIBLE sound. It sounds like my car is dying, I'm embarrassed to turn it off when I'm anywhere in public lol.
I went to cross the border and the border officer asked me if my car is dying, and I died a little inside hearing that question :(

ONTOP OF ALL OF THIS, I'm seeing some knock.. I think its gas related though but still a horrible week for my moostang :tsk::mad:

VIDEO
Sponsored

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
it worked for me. no idea but sounds like a balloon where you blow it up then slowly let the air out so BOV sounds reasonable but if you aren't getting into boost it wouldn't blow off any air

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
That's air escaping past a seal for sure. You don't have to "be in boost" to make boost. what you see is just air pressure. You can be in boost but the engine is eating more then your making so it wouldn't show. Check your BOV and any connections you have(intercooler ect ect) when the engine goes off the throttle blade snaps shut so any pressure it still there. Not sure but the Centri would still be spinning I think. Im familiar with turbo's not centri's and they stay spun up even after the engine goes off.

EDIT: whats the flutter sounds like? Chuff chuff sound and does it happen even when you don't let off?

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Sorry to hear about all your issues bud. Can you pinpoint the area of the noise with the hood open maybe?

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I keep thinking about this. I bet your BOV is done. Replace and see but I bet that cures the issues. Sounds like it leaking and if you got fluttering on top of that...

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I got in touch with Vortech and they are going to have a look at the BOV. Just a little ridiculous considering this BOV is almost ~$500 and it only worked how it should for about ~1.5 months.
I have not even tracked the car, just daily driving. I am happy Vortech is trying to solve the problem though, with the help of Terry from beefcake :)

I tried to pinpoint the sound and I do think it is coming from the BOV. I have not took my bumper off but I will and I will listen closely.

The sound of the flutter can be heard in this Instagram video if anyone is interested.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlHNLvNBGBR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

pwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The video is working for me now. As everyone has already mentioned, a leaking seal somewhere. Do you have a way to boost leak test it at home? My money would be on the bov though, solely based on the pitch of the sound versus the hiss you would hear from a pipe or loose connection elsewhere. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got in touch with Vortech and they are going to have a look at the BOV. Just a little ridiculous considering this BOV is almost ~$500 and it only worked how it should for about ~1.5 months.
I have not even tracked the car, just daily driving. I am happy Vortech is trying to solve the problem though, with the help of Terry from beefcake :)

I tried to pinpoint the sound and I do think it is coming from the BOV. I have not took my bumper off but I will and I will listen closely.

The sound of the flutter can be heard in this Instagram video if anyone is interested.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlHNLvNBGBR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Heard it...spring in the BOV is done. Its either way too soft or the BOV is broken. No doubt in my mind at this point

Sponsored
OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So Vortech wants me to send my BOV to them and I have to pay for shipping & duty which is most likely going to be around $120 because I'm from Canada lol.. So I have my BOV off now, going to do some trouble shooting that they told me to do over the phone.

How do I measure if my vaccum line is correct? Its just a plain black line that has nothing written on it. That way if my car has a small vaccum line I can just check that out now before sending my BOV to them.

Will anything happen to my car if I start it without any BOV attached?

I'm new to working on my car at home so sorry for all the questions lol

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So Vortech wants me to send my BOV to them and I have to pay for shipping & duty which is most likely going to be around $120 because I'm from Canada lol.. So I have my BOV off now, going to do some trouble shooting that they told me to do over the phone.

How do I measure if my vaccum line is correct? Its just a plain black line that has nothing written on it. That way if my car has a small vaccum line I can just check that out now before sending my BOV to them.

I have a like new vortech BOV that comes in that kit, worked great.. Let me know ill let it go cheap.

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH

Just buy another one look a guy wants to sell you his for cheap. If you're using a smaller pulley the stock bov's suck so you should have no problem finding someone trying to give them away practically. I did that for my vortech car. Couldn't give it away. Ended up tossing it.

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Its not stock though, its the maxflow BV57. BOV Is close to 500$ alone, no point of me throwing it away after like 2 months of use lol

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If anyone is curious.. Figured out the problem.

The diaphragm feels skinnier on the side w/ the holes, I think the mold to make the rubber diaphragm might have been worn out and I just got a defective seal.

Vortech has replaced under warranty and all is well !
It will be at my place early next week and once installed I will let ya know if the sound goes away.
IMG_20180723_103030.jpg
IMG_20180723_103036.jpg
Sponsored