2018 GT 6MT Grinding Noise When Releasing the Clutch

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am at 2600 miles now and the grinding is the same for the most part, if not worse. No improvement whatsoever as the mileage piles on like some people have reported. I am dropping my car off tomorrow for the engine rattle and knocking, so depending on what happens on that front will determine how I will proceed going forward. I definitely don't think this is/should be normal. Either there is a mechanical issue (most likely the case since other cars don't have this problem) or Ford is hiring the leftover engineers.
Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I am at 2600 miles now and the grinding is the same for the most part, if not worse. No improvement whatsoever as the mileage piles on like some people have reported. I am dropping my car off tomorrow for the engine rattle and knocking, so depending on what happens on that front will determine how I will proceed going forward. I definitely don't think this is/should be normal. Either there is a mechanical issue (most likely the case since other cars don't have this problem) or Ford is hiring the leftover engineers.
Ya unlike what others said, high RPM shifts (over 5500) still does the same crap. I'm over 2000 miles now however mines has gotten worse for sure. The vibration in the clutch now occurs on shifts above 3000 RPM but without the grinding noise.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Took a video of my car on my lunch break doing this same thing. These shift were quicker than normal but not faster than like no lift shifting or power shifting. If it I do power shift and really bang the gears it doesn't do this. Maybe this is how a twin disk works. You can also here clutch chatter between gear shifts too.

2018 GT manual 1900 miles Build date was April 17th

It does it really bad right around 34 seconds.

[ame]

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Alright, this post is going to be humbling for myself, but I need to know what people who have more knowledge think of this...

I went to my service manager and asked about the grind. He stated that my complaints are due to driver error. He said at high RPM shifts in a car this powerful, I should be double clutching. This method would allow components to match speeds correctly which would stop the NVH that is occurring. Based on a video I watched, this would also stop the high RPM lockouts.

Also, I was always fully depressing the clutch during gear changes, not just when fully stopped in 1st. He said that was also an error. He stated I just needed to go to the sweet spot. Anymore than that leaves a huge space that allows air to enter and create unnecessary hot spots on the flywheel. He state this is causing the vibration in the clutch. He stated if I make those two changes, over time things will smooth back out and the vibration would stop. Granted this is if I haven't caused significant damage would require the flywheel to be re-machined.

So, does that make sense to people? It still doesn't explain why this is happening to more people than just me though. Maybe this clutch isn't adequate for the car, that mixed with bad driver habits is compounding the issues? I drove the same way in my 2005 V6 with no issues but that has less than half the power my 18 does.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
^^ That is such a load of bullshit. Ask him to point out where it says that in the owners manual. Ford designed the vehicle for everyday drivers, not fucking NASCAR lol.

Sponsored

Lost240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Agreed. Complete BS. Mine is starting to do this at lower RPMs as well now. This is an issue with the clutch plain and simple.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
100% BS. I don't even know what to say at depressing the clutch fully leaving air pockets and causing hotspots on the flywheel. Good god.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
^^ That is such a load of bullshit. Ask him to point out where it says that in the owners manual. Ford designed the vehicle for everyday drivers, not fucking NASCAR lol.
LOL, man I told my brother this today right after I posted this and he laughed while saying "wtf this is a Mustang :lol:"

Agreed. Complete BS. Mine is starting to do this at lower RPMs as well now. This is an issue with the clutch plain and simple.
After driving around for a bit, my clutch is now vibrating (no noise) at 3k RPM, maybe even as low as 2500. This is why I went to see them, it's definitely getting worse.

100% BS. I don't even know what to say at depressing the clutch fully leaving air pockets and causing hotspots on the flywheel. Good god.
Man I thought I was losing my mind, no way I was the only one fully depressing the clutch for gear changes. I have changed my habits since that talk but still, that can't be considered the norm for everyday drivers.

Here is a question, for those that shift the way he recommend (not fully depressed), are you getting the NVH at high RPM shifts as well?

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Alright, this post is going to be humbling for myself, but I need to know what people who have more knowledge think of this...

I went to my service manager and asked about the grind. He stated that my complaints are due to driver error. He said at high RPM shifts in a car this powerful, I should be double clutching. This method would allow components to match speeds correctly which would stop the NVH that is occurring. Based on a video I watched, this would also stop the high RPM lockouts.

Also, I was always fully depressing the clutch during gear changes, not just when fully stopped in 1st. He said that was also an error. He stated I just needed to go to the sweet spot. Anymore than that leaves a huge space that allows air to enter and create unnecessary hot spots on the flywheel. He state this is causing the vibration in the clutch. He stated if I make those two changes, over time things will smooth back out and the vibration would stop. Granted this is if I haven't caused significant damage would require the flywheel to be re-machined.

So, does that make sense to people? It still doesn't explain why this is happening to more people than just me though. Maybe this clutch isn't adequate for the car, that mixed with bad driver habits is compounding the issues? I drove the same way in my 2005 V6 with no issues but that has less than half the power my 18 does.
Find a new service manager. Modern transmissions do not require double clutching because they have synchros. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a11646461/what-is-double-clutching-and-how-does-it-work/

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Find a new service manager. Modern transmissions do not require double clutching because they have synchros. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a11646461/what-is-double-clutching-and-how-does-it-work/
Thanks man. I know dealers hate the forums but shit like this is why, such a great thing to have for consumers.

Still curious to see if people who don't fully depress the clutch on gear changes get the NVH as well on high RPM shifts, cause that would totally contradict his theory. I know for sure if you shift quick, regardless of how much you depress the clutch, the NVH doesn't occur.

Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
LMAO, I'm just going to leave this here, straight from our manuals:

"Note: Failure to fully press the clutch pedal
to the floor may cause increased shift
efforts, prematurely wear transmission
components or damage the transmission.

During each shift, the clutch pedal must
be fully pressed to the floor. Make sure the
floor mat is properly positioned so it
doesn't interfere with the full extension of
the clutch pedal."

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
LMAO, I'm just going to leave this here, straight from our manuals:

"Note: Failure to fully press the clutch pedal
to the floor may cause increased shift
efforts, prematurely wear transmission
components or damage the transmission.

During each shift, the clutch pedal must
be fully pressed to the floor. Make sure the
floor mat is properly positioned so it
doesn't interfere with the full extension of
the clutch pedal."
Yeah but this is what your service manager sees when you pull up.
nascar-xs-iowa-ii-2017-ty-majeski-bit-o-honey-ford-mustang.jpg

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Sounds like he was just buttering you up so you'd go away. He probably doesn't make much for the dealer on warranty work. Time Will tell. If Ford is reading this forum then I just want to tell them thanks for selling me a POS rattling grinding whining car!
Ya it's a stupid system, why would any any dealer want to do warranty work if they get paid less for it?

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am very interested to see if this issue as well as the engine rattle are present on the 2019s.
Sponsored