Sponsored

Military Auto Source Order COTUS Tracking?

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
For those who have bought a car through Military Auto Source (MAS), were you able to get the information needed to track your order on COTUS? I know I can track it on the MAS website, but it would be nice to be able to track it on COTUS as well. My salesman was unfamiliar with COTUS so he was not much help. I know once I get the VIN from the MAS website I can use that, and if that is the only way to make it happen then that is what I will wait to do.

Thanks for any information.
Sponsored

AGM2018

For those who have bought a car through Military Auto Source (MAS), were you able to get the information needed to track your order on COTUS? I know I can track it on the MAS website, but it would be nice to be able to track it on COTUS as well. My salesman was unfamiliar with COTUS so he was not much help. I know once I get the VIN from the MAS website I can use that, and if that is the only way to make it happen then that is what I will wait to do.

Thanks for any information.

Mejohn50,

I am not sure on your COTUS question; however, if you bought through MAS, you likely "paid too much." I priced an 18 Premium GT through MAS and it was about 4K higher than large stateside dealers. The MAS price, to be honest, really isn't that good. The best part of MAS is the ability to order a custom built car, without any difficulty. But, large high-volume dealerships will custom build a mustang for you as well, albeit some will require a 1-2K down payment.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Mejohn50,

I am not sure on your COTUS question; however, if you bought through MAS, you likely "paid too much." I priced an 18 Premium GT through MAS and it was about 4K higher than large stateside dealers. The MAS price, to be honest, really isn't that good. The best part of MAS is the ability to order a custom built car, without any difficulty. But, large high-volume dealerships will custom build a mustang for you as well, albeit some will require a 1-2K down payment.
I am in Germany. I know the costs of what I bought versus what I could get somewhere else IN THE UNITED STATES. I also know how sales tax works and how to avoid paying that when I return to the USA with this car. This is not my first time buying a car. If I was only putting a $1-2k down payment on a $40k car, I wouldn’t be buying a $40k car. Everyone knows what’s best when it comes to other people’s money. And for the record, I am spending less money on the car than I would buying the car at invoice price in the USA and paying all associated fees and taxes.

Thanks for answering my question.

Doobie083

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Ask your salesman for the VIN. I am in Germany as well and tracking my Bullitt.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Ask your salesman for the VIN. I am in Germany as well and tracking my Bullitt.
I figured that might be the only way to do it. I assume MAS has to have a dealer code and I also have to have an order number with Ford, which would allow tracking on COTUS. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Where are you in Germany? I am in Stuttgart.

Sponsored

Doobie083

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm in Ramstein. How are you tracking through the MAS site?

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
How are you tracking through the MAS site?
You can go on the MAS site and in the upper right there is a login button. Create an account with the email address you used when you made your order. Once you have done that and logged in there is an "order" screen. All the info should be in there. I placed my order and then about 20 minutes later created my account and my order was in there.

AGM2018

I am in Germany. I know the costs of what I bought versus what I could get somewhere else IN THE UNITED STATES. I also know how sales tax works and how to avoid paying that when I return to the USA with this car. This is not my first time buying a car. If I was only putting a $1-2k down payment on a $40k car, I wouldn’t be buying a $40k car. Everyone knows what’s best when it comes to other people’s money. And for the record, I am spending less money on the car than I would buying the car at invoice price in the USA and paying all associated fees and taxes.

Thanks for answering my question.
Mejohn,

Relax GI JOE! I have purchased cars while stationed in Japan, Panama and Korea...so I too know how MAS works, as well as how sales tax works. My post was informative NOT directive...take it for what it is worth and don't get your "panties" in a bunch. And yes, it is your money...spend it how you elect to do so, it is your right. I was not nor am I trying to "spend your money". And you may indeed be spending less money than were you buying the car at invoice price, plus paying all associated fees and taxes...BUT, you are still paying too much!

How do I know you ask? I just returned from deployment; I priced an 18 Premium GT with MAS...then I emailed a few large dealers in the U.S. and all of them were able to beat the MAS price, including state sales tax and all associated fees. Buying at invoice price isn't difficult...most dealers will offer that without much negotiation. High volume dealerships often (see Koons Ford, Akins Ford and Brandon Ford, to name three dealerships) often discount mustangs up to $8500...which saves you more money than were you to pay the invoice price of the mustang+your states sales tax+all associated dealer fees. MAS may save you 3K at most off the price of the mustang and if you pay, let's arbitrarily say, another 3K for state taxes and all associated dealer fees, you are still 2-2.5K AHEAD of the MAS price. Again, I know this because I have been researching for the last 7 months while deployed to get the best price between the two: MAS vs high-volume dealerships...and MAS is more expensive.

My intent was to assist and offer you the information... not scold you or tell you how to spend your money. I have purchased through MAS before (2X) and I tell you from experience, they are more expensive than purchasing from a large high-volume dealership. Take it for what it is. My 2 cents.:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Mejohn,

Relax GI JOE! I have purchased cars while stationed in Japan, Panama and Korea...so I too know how MAS works, as well as how sales tax works. My post was informative NOT directive...take it for what it is worth and don't get your "panties" in a bunch. And yes, it is your money...spend it how you elect to do so, it is your right. I was not nor am I trying to "spend your money". And you may indeed be spending less money than were you buying the car at invoice price, plus paying all associated fees and taxes...BUT, you are still paying too much!

How do I know you ask? I just returned from deployment; I priced an 18 Premium GT with MAS...then I emailed a few large dealers in the U.S. and all of them were able to beat the MAS price, including state sales tax and all associated fees. Buying at invoice price isn't difficult...most dealers will offer that without much negotiation. High volume dealerships often (see Koons Ford, Akins Ford and Brandon Ford, to name three dealerships) often discount mustangs up to $8500...which saves you more money than were you to pay the invoice price of the mustang+your states sales tax+all associated dealer fees. MAS may save you around 3K...at most off the price of the car and if you pay another 3K for state taxes and all associated dealer fees, you are still 2-2.5K AHEAD of the MAS price. Again, I know this for a FACT because I have been doing the research for the last 7 months while deployed to get the best price between the two...MAS vs high-volume dealerships...and MAS is more expensive.

My intent was to assist and offer you the information... not scold you or tell you how to spend your money. I have purchased through MAS before (2X) and I tell you from experience, they are more expensive than purchasing from a large high-volume dealership. Take it for what it is. My 2 cents.:cheers:
All the while, you don't answer the question I asked. You answer a question I am not asking. You have clearly seen my math and know all the research I have done. You also have clearly seen the deal I got on my order. I didn't ask for your pricing information, I asked how to track my MAS order in COTUS without the VIN. I assume you have that information as well seeing as how much you know about my current situation.

AGM2018

All the while, you don't answer the question I asked. You answer a question I am not asking. You have clearly seen my math and know all the research I have done. You also have clearly seen the deal I got on my order. I didn't ask for your pricing information, I asked how to track my MAS order in COTUS without the VIN. I assume you have that information as well seeing as how much you know about my current situation.
I told you in my first post I didn't know the answer to the COTUS question; therefore, I actually did answer your question...THEN...I moved on to another statement on another subject, i..e pricing. And no, I haven't seen any of your math...i.e. numbers...on your deal, so I have no idea if you secured a nice deal or not. Nor do I know how much research you have done...how would I see or know that by reading the few posts you have provided in this thread?

And lastly, you are correct one point: no, you didn't ask for pricing information from me. I provided that to you, because we both serve our beloved nation and its citizens...and I wanted you to have the information. And since it has been a bit (about 6 years) since I bought my last car through MAS, I actually don't (didn't) have the tracking information you requested. My apologies for providing other information to you, aside from the information you requested.

And your signature block reads that you ordered your car on: July 2nd, 2019. You have a time machine???

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I ordered my 2015 from MAS for delivery to Germany, COTUS was useless.
I managed to contact the right person and found out which ship my car got loaded on, and used a maritime website to track the ship's position in real time. In the end I knew more about the status of the car than MAS did including when it actually landed. My Rep was great but there just wasn't much info available to him at the time.
For My Wife's 2017 FiST, they didn't have the exact one we wanted in stock but knew there was a Black one (Second choice) on a ship about to land in a few days, so we got that one. It was still showing as Baltimore in COTUS as we were driving home from the port in Brerhaven.
My guess is MAS has gotten better at tracking them but Ford doesn't care once the car is delivered to the Port.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I ordered my 2015 from MAS for delivery to Germany, COTUS was useless.
I managed to contact the right person and found out which ship my car got loaded on, and used a maritime website to track the ship's position in real time. In the end I knew more about the status of the car than MAS did including when it actually landed. My Rep was great but there just wasn't much info available to him at the time.
For My Wife's 2017 FiST, they didn't have the exact one we wanted in stock but knew there was a Black one (Second choice) on a ship about to land in a few days, so we got that one. It was still showing as Baltimore in COTUS as we were driving home from the port in Brerhaven.
My guess is MAS has gotten better at tracking them but Ford doesn't care once the car is delivered to the Port.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the info.

How did the pick up at Bremerhaven go? I am considering that option as well, but it will be winter by then and I am not sure if it makes sense.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Well I got a VIN on the 13th. I ordered the car with MAS on 2 July and the order was placed to Ford on 6 July. So it only took a week to get the VIN after submitting to Ford. Seems quick but I’m not complaining. COTUS works with the VIN, so that is nice to be able to track that way. Also, the estimated delivery date to the shipping port on COTUS is much shorter than the estimate MAS gave me. I am hoping the Ford estimate is right, because it’s about two months earlier than MAS. The wait is too long either way.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The Ford delivery date is to the port in the US which is why it is so much shorter. Even when it arrives it still has to go for undercoating and that can take a few days. Picking up at the port is not bad, I picked up my Mustang in August 2015 and my wife's FiST in March of 2017 so I had great weather both times. MAS gives you the rental car for free so it costs much less than having it loaded on a truck and delivered. it is also much faster. On the other hand, if yours is coming on summer tires, have it delivered. Not only is it dangerous if it's cold but Illegal in Germany to boot. If you get caught, you are looking at a fine, points and having your car towed. If you get into an accident, you will get at a minimum partial blame.
I'd order some extra wheels and tires right now if I were you otherwise you may be waiting a while before you can drive her.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
The Ford delivery date is to the port in the US which is why it is so much shorter. Even when it arrives it still has to go for undercoating and that can take a few days. Picking up at the port is not bad, I picked up my Mustang in August 2015 and my wife's FiST in March of 2017 so I had great weather both times. MAS gives you the rental car for free so it costs much less than having it loaded on a truck and delivered. it is also much faster. On the other hand, if yours is coming on summer tires, have it delivered. Not only is it dangerous if it's cold but Illegal in Germany to boot. If you get caught, you are looking at a fine, points and having your car towed. If you get into an accident, you will get at a minimum partial blame.
I'd order some extra wheels and tires right now if I were you otherwise you may be waiting a while before you can drive her.
I realize I wasn’t too clear about a couple things. The port delivery date from MAS is 12 November, but the port delivery date from ford is 15 September.

The car does have all season tires, so I should be fine unless it’s actually snowing. My salesman didn’t tell me about a rental car option through them so that is something I need to ask about. Thanks for all the info.
Sponsored