Sponsored

Issue

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
okay so to preface this, car has 35,299 miles, tuned by mpt on the 93prx tune.

The past couple days I have noticed the exhaust note changed to sound like it was muffled, almost as if you'd have wrapped a pillow around the tailpipe.

yesterday, under a load, the check engine light came on and flashed only the check engine light and then went off. the car sputtered, felt powerless. it has since felt powerless but the check engine light is still off. On my way to work this morning, it did the same thing a couple times.

I have replaced the throttle body already, it went south on me at about 7k miles.

Haven't had any issues with the car up until this point.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Never experienced but you should be able to see what triggered the CEL through your tuner.

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay so after inspection, i found that the boot on the intake(air filter side) had come off slightly. Prior to finding that i returned the vehicle to stock. After fixing the boot issue and driving it under normal conditions it finally threw some codes and the check engine light stayed on.

P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303

Were the codes that it threw.

My question is, is it possible i fouled 3 spark plugs in the process of driving the vehicle?

With the intake sucking more air, it would inturn increase the fuel rate, to correct the issue. Is that a correct way of thinking or no?

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Just a guess by your description and how I am reading it not having the car in front of me the cats have a restriction if they are still on the car.

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My initial thought was a clogged cat...but then it threw the cylinder misfire codes. Ive noticed that when im driving and the car sputters the air fuel ratio jumps to 20.0 and once the check engine light stops flashing and it regains its composure(still not running correctly) the a:f jumps bacl down to normal ranges from 13.9-14.4 ish.

Currently at an idle the a:f is at 14.0-14.1and seems to be idling fine...no misfires or anything. Im hoping it corrects itself after a couple drive cycles. This weekend im going to pull the plugs to see if i possibly fouled any of them out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can tell its running rich, by the way the exhaust smells...like i said hopefully it will correct itself, if not i hope its just a spark plug issue.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Did you flash the stock tune back on to see if the issue repeats itself? Did you take the time to properly datalog with your tuner (as you paid for it)? Stoichiometric is 14.7:1 for idle/cruise not 14:1 regardless of what MPT says unless the atmospheric pressure of this planet has changed recently. 12.8 is about what you want WOT not the mid/high 11 AFRs I see many MPT cars run (those are near boosted numbers). Sounds like you're running rich and it is fouling out things. Check for vacuum leaks and once again datalog and report back to us. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to get back to the thread and update.

Reflashed the stock tune and took it to ford. Dana44 was correct, the cat was bad..all is well now.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Forgot to get back to the thread and update.

Reflashed the stock tune and took it to ford. Dana44 was correct, the cat was bad..all is well now.

Glad you got it sorted out. Did you just have a defective cat? I'd still take the time to datalog, Over-fueling could have very well took out your cat. Hate to see you replace a cat twice.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I would look at your spark plugs and see if a cylinder is running rich . You may have a defective injector over feeding that took out the cat.
Sponsored