Sponsored

Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I had a ‘75 MG Midget when I was much younger. It was Harvest Gold and a rubber bumper car. I was ribbed to no end by the MGB’ers in the club over it. It couldn’t pull the skin off of rice pudding. But as I like to say, it’s not how fast you get there, it’s how you look when you arrive. In fact, I’ve already been the subject of ridicule over my choice of an Ecoboost (by our friends’ car-less 18 YO son no less) and the car isn’t even in the drive yet. My advice is drive what makes you happy, not what those around think should make you happy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
And I hate always looking for cops (yes, I use Waze). I know some think just cruising around in a V8 Mustang is great in itself. I'm really not one of them.

Was it really that bad? I did rack up 24 tickets in two years in my 5.0 in my heyday back then. I fought everything back then so only 4 convictions and one mysteriously disappeared, I fought that one really hard including motions to quash ( I truly think they just made it disappear after the fact because I was entertaining and didn’t bore them). Anyway I drove like a complete asshole but never paid the price. I did ask one cop why they always picked on guys like me and he said: “Because you bought the car for the performance, and you are going to use it!” That was 30 years ago.

So figure when you drive around with a supercharged 5.0 the cops would think you would want to use it. What kind of insanity is that? :crazy: But I digress...

I hope you realize most here think you are crazy to even think of selling that thing. If they could they would DD a top fuel dragster to work and constantly fill it up with a car following behind with gas. Personally we know better. Personally I would keep it, drive the shit out of it and smash it up doing something foolish. Then sell the parts. The only way to let go of a car like that...:D

Oh I forgot to end in a quote:

“Better to go out in a blazing ball of fire than do the responsible thing (or something like that)...”

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ar6kRtCuuUo[/MEDIA]"]

Last edited:

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
I feel the pain. It seems like cars are getting faster and faster and more and more HP but the speed limit on the streets stays the same. What the hell am i going to do with a 600HP street car when the speed limit is 65 MPH? You cough and step on the gas alittle bit and youre 20 MPH over in a flash.

The most fun i've ever had with a car was in my 2007 350z. 300 HP was the perfect amount of power to have fun on the street.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Don't get me wrong. I love my boosted GT. I like the torque and rumble of the V8. And the power of course.
The problem really is I'm sick of driving around half throttle most of the time. If I wring this car out a bit, I quickly end up 30+ over the speed limit. Is it fun? Sure. But it's also pretty reckless. And I hate always looking for cops (yes, I use Waze). I know some think just cruising around in a V8 Mustang is great in itself. I'm really not one of them.

And yes, I know I'll be called nuts as to what I'm about to say. But I actually miss just flogging my '14 Fiesta SE manual all over the place and still going somewhat sane speeds. Something I simply cannot do in the Mustang 90% of the time. I feel like I got to use ALL of that car and in the Mustang I feel like I get to use 30%.

I'm considering going back to a true minimalist car that I can wring out on the streets and not care much if it gets dinged here and there...etc. I'm considering going back to a Fiesta SE. I drove the Fiesta ST. It's got much better power/handling but the ride quality/tire noise IMO was pretty horrible. And I'm thinking of going even cheaper.

I haven't committed to doing this. But I am thinking about it. One reason I may not is that my g/f probably won't ride in my car. She thinks small cars are not safe and only likes riding in big ones (like her Charger or the Mustang. Albeit she doesn't like riding much in the Mustang either b/c it's loud and has a firm ride compared to what she's used to, lol.)
Was wondering if anyone else has had similar sentiments?
Guessing not, so flame away! lol
Buy a used plug-in Prius, though definitely check with your girlfriend first.

Sponsored

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
I've owned many of GT's THAT is the exact reason I bought my 2016 V6! IRS mustang! 300! Minor mods. Great car and has get up and go, 30 mpg, the V8 guys give me $hit all the time, lol. But chicks like quit exhausts and to cruise.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I also endorse the cheap daily driver if you have the space and means. I swore I would never drive a beater. I wanted to drive the best car I could everyday. I ended up getting an old 97 Saturn SC2 and almost hate to admit but it is great to drive it carefree. Amazing how effortless it is to zip around the back roads. Because of all the above mentioned concerns is why I am not that interested in a high strung, high rpm motor like the GT. At least the OP has great low end pull to have fun with though instead of having to scream the motor. The beater will make you look forward to the mustang on sunny days and weekends. Plus it will always be spotless if you drive the beater on the rainy days.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I kinda hate to admit it, but the most fun trouble free car I ever owned was a 96 Geo Metro 3 door hatchback with the 1.3 liter four cylinder and 5 speed manual. They were made by Suzuki and imported from Japan. The thing shifted like butter and was a hoot in curves.

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I dont have any problem daily driving my gtpp and going the speed limit but i do live out in the country so that helps i guess. I bought a 95 ranger to put around in, im like this if i drive a car it will be a gt when i dont feel like going to walmart in my baby i take the ranger so i dont have panic attacks while shopping! :)

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I also endorse the cheap daily driver if you have the space and means. I swore I would never drive a beater. I wanted to drive the best car I could everyday. I ended up getting an old 97 Saturn SC2 and almost hate to admit but it is great to drive it carefree. Amazing how effortless it is to zip around the back roads. Because of all the above mentioned concerns is why I am not that interested in a high strung, high rpm motor like the GT. At least the OP has great low end pull to have fun with though instead of having to scream the motor. The beater will make you look forward to the mustang on sunny days and weekends. Plus it will always be spotless if you drive the beater on the rainy days.
Already have a beater, although I work from home. The GT already is my weekend only car. Was just going to get a slower weekend only car. But I probably won’t and will keep the GT. I’m too lazy to sell and I do really like it, insane power and all.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
OP.....I totally understand. I feel I don’t use most of my NA mustang’s hp either. It really sucks to not be able to unleash the HP now that we have it.

I had an 03 GTI VR6 and Audi A4 2.0t Quattro. Both cars were quick, interiors phenomenal, functional for daily driving, and everyday usefulness. I loved what they could become with a tune and proper suspension mods. The new A4 is calling my name.

My son owns a 2016 focus se and I try to borrow his car when I can. I truly enjoy it’s simplicity. It’s a go kart with little effort required. I find the stang requires more effort to drive than I prefer. Call me lazy but the new 18’ automatic might be better for me.

I really think a track day will help you appreciate your car more. You need to take it somewhere to indulge in its capabilities. Everyday public roads makes it hard to exploit its performance and fulfill your needs.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I wouldn't mind moving onto a newer Miata or 4c down the road myself. My heart is set on a C7 though in the next year or two if prices come down into the 30k range.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I hear you OP. It was fun driving my 2018 GT. After dealing with the engine rattle and Ford service and buyback process, I had enough. Thought about getting another muscle car but got a 2019 Ram 1500 instead. Now I just kick back and drive at my leasure LOL.
Those new Rams are NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. :cheers:
Sponsored