Sponsored

Replacement Tires for PPL2

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
I hope this is not a repeat of another thread. I looked but didn't see anything.

I recently ordered a 2019 GT Premium with PPL2 but I want to swap out the tires before I drive it off the lot. I am not a big fan of the stretched look if the Cup 2 on the rear. I am also weary about having 305 tires on a 10.5 inch rim. The maximum recommended tire size for a 10.5 inch rim is a 295. Anybody have a recommendation for front and rear tire setup on the PPL2?
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Actually 295 is recommended for 10.5". 305 is well within approved width for a 10.5" wheel. With that said, I'm going 295/30 front and 305/30 rear. Was debating between the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Confirmed with my dealer on Friday that I wanted the Bridgestones since they were about $300 cheaper than the Michelins price matching with Wal-Mart. Got a flyer in the mail today from Costco showing a $130 rebate on the Michelins. With Costco's price and the rebate, the Michelins are only about $80 more. Going to think about it over the weekend. I might go with the Michelins now if it's not too late.

I just noticed you said rears. The PP2 has 11" wheels on the rear, 10.5" on the front.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
why are you buying a pp2 then

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Do you really think Ford engineers would put a tire that was not recommended for a wheel?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
The PPL2 is way more than the tires. I like the overall setup of the car, I just don't want the Cup 2s.

gqllc007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I have Michelin 4s on 17 GT premium and I love them

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
You might as well just run the Cup 2's until they are toast. I would not be concerned one bit about the size. They definitely are sized appropriately for the rim and car. But if you really want something else, I would just put Pilot sport 4S's on.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The PPL2 is way more than the tires. I like the overall setup of the car, I just don't want the Cup 2s.
I'd argue the tires are 80% of the package. It's your car though. If you don't plan on tracking it and just want to buy it because you can tell people you have a PP2 then put whatever tires you want on it.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Anybody who doesn't like Cup 2's doesn't know what a corner is for.

Sponsored

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I have to agree with DarkestHour, why pay the money for the PP2 if you are turn around and buy new tires? Just get a PP1 with magneride, buy a Roush front splitter, and get a wheel and tire package that look good and are lighter than the stock ones because the PP2 wheels are fugly!

Of course just my probably unwanted 2 cents

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I get it, if I bought the PP2 I would pick up a new set of wheels too and have track wheels and tires and dd wheels and tires. Cup 2's are totally impractical for daily use. Unless you purchase for a dedicated track car, why not get better tires that are more street friendly. I don't see people giving the GT350R guys any guff when they swap out the wheels and tires for daily use.

If I were you, I would get the Michelin PS4S great performance, good streeability and 15k mileage warrenty if you don't rotate and 30k if you do.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I get it, if I bought the PP2 I would pick up a new set of wheels too and have track wheels and tires and dd wheels and tires. Cup 2's are totally impractical for daily use. Unless you purchase for a dedicated track car, why not get better tires that are more street friendly. I don't see people giving the GT350R guys any guff when they swap out the wheels and tires for daily use.
I would also understand if the OP meant that they wanted a new set for that purpose. Also the GT350R has quite a few differences over the standard GT350, mounds more than a PP1 vs PP2.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I have to agree with DarkestHour, why pay the money for the PP2 if you are turn around and buy new tires? Just get a PP1 with magneride, buy a Roush front splitter, and get a wheel and tire package that look good and are lighter than the stock ones because the PP2 wheels are fugly!

I think the PP2 wheels are the best looking OEM wheels I've seen on a Mustang. You do realize the PP2 is only $810 retail more than a comparable PP1 with Magneride. Throw a wheel upgrade on the PP1 and you are more than the PP2. Not to mention the front splitter, a better looking lip spoiler, free cloth Recaros, different tuned brakes, suspension, and EPAS, larger front and rear sway bars, heavier duty front knuckles. No, I can't see any reason why to get the PP2.

And, try driving those SC2's in the rain and report back to us. Those tires were meant for one thing and one thing only (and it sure isn't daily street driving).

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

Your 2 cents isn't worth much. I doubt you've seen the PP2's wheels in person, & on the car. The over-all package is a win/win.

When I order mine, I will have a new set of tires waiting, to swap out the cup2's. Those will be for the track, not the street.

:ford:
Sponsored