Sponsored

First DCT GT500 Mustang Caught on Video? Plus Hood Vents Up Close

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
No, it won't. Also you're not considering the durability of everything else downstream. Ford has to provide a stupid fast, capable track-focused car with a warranty. The engine may be (and has been said as much) capable of well over 800 crank HP, but that doesn't mean that the transmission and rear axle would be to the stringent durability cycles they must meet. Anyone can make it work for a little while, so don't look at forum anecdotes of Whippled cars as counterpoints.
If you use the 2.3 Ecoboost found in the Focus RS a a loose guide. I can see a easy 760hp out of the 5.2 V-8. I know the 2.3 uses a turbo. But I'm stating this in terms of reliability.
But who knows......Speaking of myself, I can only guess.
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
If the 5.2 was using turbos, 790hp could be in reach.....
All of this while using pump gas.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you use the 2.3 Ecoboost found in the Focus RS a a loose guide. I can see a easy 760hp out of the 5.2 V-8. I know the 2.3 uses a turbo. But I'm stating this in terms of reliability.
But who knows......Speaking of myself, I can only guess.
To state it again: the engine is not the limit for rated power of this vehicle. It can easily achieve 8** HP.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
How does GVWR apply to transmission torque rating? Let's say MT82 is rated 380 lb ft at GVWR 9500 lbs. Can we flip this and say, 950 lb ft at 3800 lbs ?
If you're asking how are they related, as in the calculations used to derive them, you'll have to ask the manufacturer. Its based on the materials used, ratios, cyclic testing, different load testing, a bunch of stuff. But it doesn't work how you described it here.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
To state it again: the engine is not the limit for rated power of this vehicle. It can easily achieve 8** HP.

My buddy has a 17’ Scout bay boat. He has a Yamaha VMax 150 on the back. Looks outta place as thats a big motor on a small boat but he’ll, that’s the max Scout would safely rate the boat for.

We’ve talked about putting 200-250hp out of that engine but Scout’s still only gonna rate it at 150hp for the hull/occupant safety/longevity.

Just cause 8**hp can be done doesn’t mean it’s the best for the longevity of the vehicle.

Just like people bitch and moan about Ford allowing certain manufacturing quality out of the factory, I can hear the saps now: “Can’t believe Ford gave that car 800+ hp knowing it had a shit tranny!”

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My buddy has a 17’ Scout bay boat. He has a Yamaha VMax 150 on the back. Looks outta place as thats a big motor on a small boat but he’ll, that’s the max Scout would safely rate the boat for.

We’ve talked about putting 200-250hp out of that engine but Scout’s still only gonna rate it at 150hp for the hull/occupant safety/longevity.

Just cause 8**hp can be done doesn’t mean it’s the best for the longevity of the vehicle.

Just like people bitch and moan about Ford allowing certain manufacturing quality out of the factory, I can hear the saps now: “Can’t believe Ford gave that car 800+ hp knowing it had a shit tranny!”
Many buyers will swap out blower pullies and/or make other changes to add power. Knowing this, Ford should really be sure that every component in the driveline can handle significantly more HP than the factory rating.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Many buyers will swap out blower pullies and/or make other changes to add power. Knowing this, Ford should really be sure that every component in the driveline can handle significantly more HP than the factory rating.

good idea, but that costs money. and then people complain about paying 80k for "mustang"

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I was speaking in context of the engine only.
I fully understand that the transmission might not be able and the differential as well.
I even understand about metal fatigue when it comes to chassis flex and potential failure.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The typical factor of safety may be on the order of about 1.5x (a huge generalization) that for which the part/assembly is rated. Driving or vehicle dynamics - there is no safety factor for idiocy and that's the worry. Not the hardware but rather the human decision making process. At times it has proven to be severely flawed and that ruins it for everybody.

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Its amazing how many times you can tell people this isnt right. The torque ratings from transmission suppliers are based on a specific GVWR. In this case, 5291 lbs. That means in a 39XX-41XX lb vehicle, the transmission would have more torque capacity. So no, its not limited to 664 lb-ft in the GT500.
What bugs me is that there’s a lot of manufacturers tend to “limit the torque” to that number. For example in the case of the Polo GTI (Europe) is available with up to 236lb-ft with the manual transmission and only 184lb-ft with the DSG (coincidentally the DQ250 Spec is 250Nm, which basically is 184lb-ft). Why would they do that?

I’m with you, I’d love 800-830hp from this mill, but 720 is reasonable. 750 is sort of where I’m guessing right now.

I have no insider info, I just collect all data, sift the bull, use my own experience and deduct probable outcomes. Nothing fancy :eek:
I'd love it to be 750HP..... but now I remember what Ford used to say about the GT350 "with over 500HP" that sounds really similar to "700+HP" for this GT500. With that being said I'm not expecting more than 730HP (but I'm hopping for 750 though)---
With the Focus RS was a little different because it was supposed to have "AT LEAST 320HP" and end up being 350HP. In my opinion if the GT500 were going to have 750HP they would have said something like "720+HP", not just 700.

Ford knows that, that's why Ford specifies that if you mod the engine, it voids the warranty :lol:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I disagree... that’s akin to saying just because I bought a metric nut the makers of it should’ve had the foresight to fabricate the nut in such a way that I could use a standard bolt in it.

Ford is NOT culpable for aftermarket additions and/or ensuring that their platform which functions very well by their standards, should be a “building” platform for every homeboy who wants to develop it beyond what Ford recommends... that’s absurd.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I disagree... that’s akin to saying just because I bought a metric nut the makers of it should’ve had the foresight to fabricate the nut in such a way that I could use a standard bolt in it.

Ford is NOT culpable for aftermarket additions and/or ensuring that their platform which functions very well by their standards, should be a “building” platform for every homeboy who wants to develop it beyond what Ford recommends... that’s absurd.
Of course Ford isn't culpable when people make modifications to their cars. No one would assume that - or at least I sure wouldn't.

It might be absurd to you, but the "bulletproof" vehicles that can handle big mods go a long way toward solidifying a very positive reputation for a manufacturer.

Consider the Coyote and the powertrain behind it. It's super common for people to nearly double the engine's output and have very few reliability problems. I'm not saying Ford needs to do that with the GT500, but if smaller power bumps like 100-200 hp mean that you have a ticking time bomb, it will definitely hurt the cars' reputation. Lots of people are already going to compare the GT500 to a Mustang GT with a power adder. If the GT500 is relatively fragile, you know how those internet conversations will go..

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
It might be absurd to you, but the "bulletproof" vehicles that can handle big mods go a long way toward solidifying a very positive reputation for a manufacturer.
A bulletproof vehicle that can handle it's stock power for a long time would solidify a very positive reputation. If it breaks after I modded I won't be a cry-baby because it was all muy fault.

if smaller power bumps like 100-200 hp mean that you have a ticking time bomb, it will definitely hurt the cars' reputation. Lots of people are already going to compare the GT500 to a Mustang GT with a power adder. If the GT500 is relatively fragile, you know how those internet conversations will go..
What will hurt the car's reputation would be the powertrain failing with stock power. If it's a reliable 700HP DCT car, it will be great.