Sponsored

Protecting the radiator from bugs and stones

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Hi I notice our grilles are so open to allow air but it allows rocks stones and bugs to hit the radiators. Is there some type of mesh to use to prevent this kind of damage? Perhaps even using a very small holed grilled to allow air to get in but not big enough for bugs and rocks? Anyone ever address this issue?

thanks,
Sponsored

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I install a bug screen on every vehicle we have, simple door screen material at any hardware store, I have the cleanest radiators in the world! they do NOT inhibit air flow, and if they get to much on the front, you just hose, brush them off. On my new 18GT it was pretty easy to install, just measure, take off the top plastic shroud, and wiggle is down in front of ALL the radiators, and tie it up top, it will hang down in front its whole life, and the ram air keeps it in place, and flat. On the wifes 17, it more diff. cause of front end differences,

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I think the AC part is actually in front getting the bugs and such. Any pix?

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I think the AC part is actually in front getting the bugs and such. Any pix?
Yes, the A/C is first in line, then the super large A 10 radiator/cooler, then the main engine coolant radiator, unfortunately I do not know how to post pics...:shrug:

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
You can get honeycomb nomex for this, that's what the racers use. Google will give you lots of sources if you search on "nomex honeycomb radiator protector". I've used screens in past and they're fragile and don't really protect against everything.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Not sure of the hole size of the honeycomb Nomex, but it looks pretty big on google pix...
I had used screen material for my truck (and previous car), but I had trans cooling issues so I removed it. Turned out to be a bad component on my trans, so now I might do it again and consider for the stang also.
Posting pics is not hard once to do the first time...you just go advanced and look for the manage attachments button.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I went to my local Autozone. They had, and may still have the old style nylon screen that many used to use on the front of the car to keep bugs off. I cut it in have a secured it between the back of the grill, and the radiator of my F-150. I have the other half for our '16 GT, but haven't put in there yet. I gotta get to it soon. Works great on the truck, so it should on the Mustang.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered the Novistretch. Pricey, but I'm going on a road trip. The paint seems excessively prone to chips and the cooling fins on today's cars are hard to access to clean off baked on bugs thoroughly and safely.
I just hope the bra doesn't chafe the paint.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I have used Novistretch on most highway trips. Have had no issues with paint chafing or having the Novistretch bleed color onto the paint. That includes driving in pounding rain. It does a great job of keeping bugs and debris out of the grill and coolers.

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I have used Novistretch on most highway trips. Have had no issues with paint chafing or having the Novistretch bleed color onto the paint. That includes driving in pounding rain. It does a great job of keeping bugs and debris out of the grill and coolers.
Thanks Martin, that makes me feel better about my purchase of a Novistretch for the wife's new GT. I've never used one, but bought it hoping all the reviews on the Corvette forum were true. It was very easy to install the snaps, and do a test fit. It will get a test run very soon.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I hope it does a better job than the old le bra style. I had one on a white car a long time ago and dust got rubbed into the paint and discolored it a bit. We have lots of fine dust here...in the spring time.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Thanks Martin, that makes me feel better about my purchase of a Novistretch for the wife's new GT. I've never used one, but bought it hoping all the reviews on the Corvette forum were true. It was very easy to install the snaps, and do a test fit. It will get a test run very soon.
Just for the sake of clarity, you do realize I am using Novistretch on a Camaro, right? ;) I expect the results will be the same on a Mustang.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Just for the sake of clarity, you do realize I am using Novistretch on a Camaro, right? ;) I expect the results will be the same on a Mustang.
I do my friend, and that's OK. I understand the pharmaceutical companies are working on a new drug that can help. :lol: :thumbsup:
Sponsored