Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Hi GT 550
No have not had a reply and will never, Ford don’t want to admit any liability.
But I was talking to one of the NZ engineers at Beach Hop (show casing the new 2018 GT) (was a bit cagey at first) but once he worked out I had a few clues about the oil cooler failure he started to talk.
The outcome of that discussion was they have had some oil cooler failures (wouldn’t admit to numbers) but stated:
Oil cooler failures general happen in the first 4,000km
The cars have general been through a hard time.
I was able to get underneath a 2018 GT, the oil cooler is in the same place and is the same cooler.
We will just have to wait and see what happens after warranty ends.
Mine happened at 8000 and no, the car hasn't gone thru a "hard time".

The other failure I know is on about 10k and had also not been thru a "hard time"
Sponsored

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Any idea how many have jumped on the street fighter kit to get some insurance against this?
Yeah I need owners review for this oil cooler solution.

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
I am an owner of the street fighter cooler and I have piece of mind knowing I’m not needing to replace my engine again.

Worth the investment

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I am an owner of the street fighter cooler and I have piece of mind knowing I’m not needing to replace my engine again.

Worth the investment
So, you have paid for something that Ford will fix and pay for FOC if it fails....?

Piece of mind in case of failing away from home, but not really a good investment. My engine replacement didn't cost me anything.

swinetune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79.85.86.88 Pontiac Transam, 2011 SV6
So, you have paid for something that Ford will fix and pay for FOC if it fails....?

Piece of mind in case of failing away from home, but not really a good investment. My engine replacement didn't cost me anything.
I would say that it is a good investment for the future, if a failure happens outside warranty period.
Personally, I would rather the peace of mind. An air cooled system is an advantage over a coolant system. No chance of oil mixing with coolant, even ten years down the track.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Why not wait until the end of the warranty and then get one? Ford may have come up with a post-warranty position or a solution by then. If it fails away from home you can use the free roadside assist you pay for when you get it serviced by Ford. ;)

Last edited:

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto

Can I ask did you have your CAI and other engine mods still installed when Ford took the car in to replace the engine?

Was there any mention by Ford of these modifications? Not that they would have effected the oil cooler one jot, I'm just curious

Cheers,
Phil

dirtysanchez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I have the street fighter oil cooler fitted. Had it done when the supercharger was done. For the sake of $1k, I don’t have to worry any more, or after warranty, plus from a cooling perspective it is more efficient anyway. The extra litre os so of oil in the system doesn’t hurt any either.

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
Would be interesting to hear what is considered a hard time for a 5.0 litre engine that revs to 7000 rpm. It’s a bloody performance car and the issue happens on right hand drive cars. Do they think all the right hand drive cars are flogged harder than the US cars you see doing track days on you tube. That’s a lame excuse if ever there was one.

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Arr look at the UK guys engine replaced for a second time. Do I want to lose my car again get a tune etc fuck no.

I’ve had my engine replace free of charge as well what your point ?
I’m not risking having this happen again.

This is a very good investment knowing I can go where ever and not have to worry of having my car catch fire or have a milk shake to bring the boys to the yard.

So not sure what your trying to get at ohh my engine was replaced bla bla bla
What you going to do when they go hey we will flush the engine like they have done in the UK.

Rant over

Sponsored

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can I ask did you have your CAI and other engine mods still installed when Ford took the car in to replace the engine?

Was there any mention by Ford of these modifications? Not that they would have effected the oil cooler one jot, I'm just curious

Cheers,
Phil
Hi Phil,

Please look at page 8 of this thread.

I had full engine replaced with the below mods.

Xforce full engine back exhaust
Air raid CAI
Tune
Line lock enabled not that should matter.

Thanks,

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I might be missing something but it looks like the same old Mishi kit to me? The Streetfighter oil cooler thread https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93306 post #70 and #80 show the extra bit they add ie the black anodised block that replaces the oem part.
That's what's got me confused tbh. That first pic shows the tune handset too and i thought the black part was actually relating to it. It's in the basic kit (link below) but the up close picture if it the unit itself shows both 'temperature' and 'pressure'...Granted it says in the description "StreetFighter RHD oil cooler delete manifold with optional oil pressure and oil temp sensor bosses" but i'm not sure if the bypass valve is actually the gold one and the sensor bosses is the black one or the black one is both.

What makes me think the former is the Mishi kit itself says "Removes the stock fluid-based oil cooler for less stress on the engine's cooling system" which to me indicates the black part in the streetfighter kit is merely for pressure monitoring, which i don't know if i'd ever bother with since in Aus we don't get the circular gauge stock like the americans do.

https://www.kpmmotorsport.com.au/product/streetfighter-engine-oil-cooler-package-gt-v8/

swinetune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79.85.86.88 Pontiac Transam, 2011 SV6
That's what's got me confused tbh. That first pic shows the tune handset too and i thought the black part was actually relating to it. It's in the basic kit (link below) but the up close picture if it the unit itself shows both 'temperature' and 'pressure'...Granted it says in the description "StreetFighter RHD oil cooler delete manifold with optional oil pressure and oil temp sensor bosses" but i'm not sure if the bypass valve is actually the gold one and the sensor bosses is the black one or the black one is both.

What makes me think the former is the Mishi kit itself says "Removes the stock fluid-based oil cooler for less stress on the engine's cooling system" which to me indicates the black part in the streetfighter kit is merely for pressure monitoring, which i don't know if i'd ever bother with since in Aus we don't get the circular gauge stock like the americans do.

https://www.kpmmotorsport.com.au/product/streetfighter-engine-oil-cooler-package-gt-v8/
The black part is used to completely remove existing oil cooler. With the Mishimoto kit it still has oil flowing through the existing oil cooler, but cooling is done by flow through the gold piece to the radiator. Eliminating coolant, but still potential for an oil leak at the existing oil cooler.
Sponsored