Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,
I just purchased a 2017 Gt Convertible. Brought it home from the dealership and discovered there was a scratch in the drivers side quarter window. I didn't notice it at first because the car was dirty and I did not want to have the dealership wash it. Long story short I took it to the dealer and then immediately noticed the scratch pattern was an arc which follows the dropping of the glass inside the mechanism. They ordered a new piece of glass and of course Ford sent them the far back piece instead of the side quarter glass. The dealership said they would be willing to pull the glass off of one of the convertibles they had on the lot. He called me back 15 minutes later and said both convertibles on their lot (one brand new) had the same scratch!. They are now going to reorder the glass and then open up the mechanism area to try and figure out what is contacting the glass and causing the scratch. I did a full search on the forum and could not find a post for this. Anyone heard of this or experienced it? I will try to upload a picture as well...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
here is a pic
glass scratch.jpg

drummergelly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
I have the same issue on my 16 Vert. I haven't asked Ford about it, but I was going to when I bring it in this next week. Passenger side doesn't have a mark on it.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue on my 16 Vert. I haven't asked Ford about it, but I was going to when I bring it in this next week. Passenger side doesn't have a mark on it.
same here, passenger side is not damaged. The new window is coming in next week. Ford is going to cover it under the B2B warranty. The main thing I want to have them find out is whether there is a defect in the window mechanism or something within the channel that is causing the scratch. Don't want them to install a new window and then have it happen again.... :doh:

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I remember someone else having the same problem and it was a rock sitting between the window and the side of the car, basically there is a channel for water runoff between the window and the black trim that a rock can sit in easy, and when you put the window down it scratches it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I remember someone else having the same problem and it was a rock sitting between the window and the side of the car, basically there is a channel for water runoff between the window and the black trim that a rock can sit in easy, and when you put the window down it scratches it.
Thanks I appreciate the response. I am getting the window replaced under warranty. They are going to make sure nothing is trapped or out of place in the channel. I will mention this to them as well...

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
[MENTION=24573]Lorne34[/MENTION] Is the scratch on the inside or outside? I just checked mine and all good....no scratches anywhere. But just thinking if the scratch is on the inside and you don’t “totally” resolve and decide to tint, you may end up with damaged tint.

Just thinking that (if especially on the inside) you should ensure the repair is 100% as a mild rub may not show on the clear glass, but a slight run on a tint could be very noticeable

Just thinking proactively....:cheers:

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=24573]Lorne34[/MENTION] Is the scratch on the inside or outside? I just checked mine and all good....no scratches anywhere. But just thinking if the scratch is on the inside and you don’t “totally” resolve and decide to tint, you may end up with damaged tint.

Just thinking that (if especially on the inside) you should ensure the repair is 100% as a mild rub may not show on the clear glass, but a slight run on a tint could be very noticeable

Just thinking proactively....:cheers:
Thanks Derek, scratch is on the outside of glass.. I can rub my finger nail over it and feel the scratch so it was deep... I actually dropped off my vert at a detailer in Chicago that does all of my work. Going to have Ceramic coating, pp film and tint done....They are going to tint all the glass except for the small side window that is scratched. Once I have the car back next week, The Ford dealership in my area offered to install the last bit of tint after they have the new glass in place and everything has been resolved.
They (the Ford Dealership) are going to thoroughly clean out the channel, test with old window, then replace the glass and do a lot of testing to make sure before they tint the glass. (My detailer will be sending 2 small sheets of tint for the quarter window that I can provide to the dealership to finish the tint).

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Thanks Derek, scratch is on the outside of glass.. I can rub my finger nail over it and feel the scratch so it was deep... I actually dropped off my vert at a detailer in Chicago that does all of my work. Going to have Ceramic coating, pp film and tint done....They are going to tint all the glass except for the small side window that is scratched. Once I have the car back next week, The Ford dealership in my area offered to install the last bit of tint after they have the new glass in place and everything has been resolved.
They (the Ford Dealership) are going to thoroughly clean out the channel, test with old window, then replace the glass and do a lot of testing to make sure before they tint the glass. (My detailer will be sending 2 small sheets of tint for the quarter window that I can provide to the dealership to finish the tint).
Sounds like you have a good dealership. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you have a good dealership. :thumbsup:
yes, so far so good. I still hold my breath every time I take my cars anywhere for service...:paddle::confused:

Sponsored

timn330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium Convertible PP Magnetic
Mine is scratched too.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is scratched too.
It's an easy fix to replace the glass. Haven't had an issue since. I have also been diligent in using the plastic covers if I know i'm going to have the top down a lot or be on dusty roads...
Sponsored