Sponsored

Hood corrosion

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
They have allegedly updated the process. My local dealer is actually trying to see if they can work this out to replace my hood with fiberglass, with the understanding it would be voiding the corrosion warranty on the hood.

No brainier since fiberglass doesn't corrode.
Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No brainier since fiberglass doesn't corrode.
That's exactly why I want it, but Ford doesn't have glass hoods as factory parts. It would be a drug deal on the part of the dealership's body shop.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Got it! Thanks!

So this hood should be replaced with a new part number that "wont" have this issue? Did they update the process or something?
As far as I understand it, the whole hood game is like a lottery. Some have the defects, others don't. You just have to hope that the replacement one doesn't have the contamination. No way to guarantee that the next hood will be ok either, but at least there's a chance that it will be.

As far as an updated part, I don't think that's the case. These hood issues have been around for 10+ years at this point and there's no end in sight. It's only a matter of time until 2018s start having the issue.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
So things are looking up for me. I was able to explain the TSB to the dealer/ford CSC and ford approved a new hood and is also covering replacing the clearbra. We'll see what really happens. If this comes back outside of warranty it will be a carbon or fiberglass hood.

S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Black GT w/performance package
Dealer just found corrosion on my '15 hood after fixing a separate issue. He submitted photos to Ford and they said they would not repaint it unless it had a hole and rust in it. I am out of the 3/36 warranty , but I have an extended through them. Anyone know if it cover's that?

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Dealer just found corrosion on my '15 hood after fixing a separate issue. He submitted photos to Ford and they said they would not repaint it unless it had a hole and rust in it. I am out of the 3/36 warranty , but I have an extended through them. Anyone know if it cover's that?
If the corrosion has eaten away at the aluminum under the paint, It might be covered, (Mine was at 35 months).

The best way to find out, have dealer take pics as is, and submit a claim to Ford. Mine was initially denied "could not see Corrosion/perforation" because we did not scrape paint off to expose the pitted metal. Next the dealer scraped some bubbled paint off, and gently cleaned the white crusty corrosion off, and re-submitted claim with pictures of the pitted aluminum. The replacement hood got approved.(read any denials carefully and resubmit addressing reason for denial)

The dealer should be your friend on this, remember they are the middleman in the conversation with Ford-be nice. If they are unwilling, go elsewhere.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If the corrosion has eaten away at the aluminum under the paint, It might be covered, (Mine was at 35 months).

The best way to find out, have dealer take pics as is, and submit a claim to Ford. Mine was initially denied "could not see Corrosion/perforation" because we did not scrape paint off to expose the pitted metal. Next the dealer scraped some bubbled paint off, and gently cleaned the white crusty corrosion off, and re-submitted claim with pictures of the pitted aluminum. The replacement hood got approved.(read any denials carefully and resubmit addressing reason for denial)

The dealer should be your friend on this, remember they are the middleman in the conversation with Ford-be nice. If they are unwilling, go elsewhere.
Because my dealership has their own in-house body shop, so they DEFINITELY want it to get approved because they'll be getting paid for the work. I'm doing that exact process, and crossing fingers.

S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Black GT w/performance package

I am out of the 3 year warranty for it, but will check back with the service advisor I am working with to see if resubmitting it with some of the paint chipped off will help. Thanks for the advice.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The factory 3/36 and corrosion warranties are separate of each other. Meaning once you’re past the 3/36, the corrosion Warranty takes effect IF that has not expired per the terms laid out in your original Owners Manual.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Last edited:

Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Got my car back and it looks great.

New hood, prepped and painted along with prepping the fenders and hood inserts, inserts got new paint, blended in color on fenders and cleared everything at the same time. Also replaced my 5.0 badges because they were removed to prep, not masked. Replaced my clear bra too. I was really concerned about this repair but it looks spot on as far as I can tell.

My 3-36 warranty expires today.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
New hood, prepped and painted along with prepping the fenders and hood inserts, inserts got new paint, blended in color on fenders and cleared everything at the same time..
Dang, they had to blend in the front fenders? Thought body shops could match paint these days without blending adjacent panels. Sounds like they did a decent job overall

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I think matching is better than ever but it's never perfect, they just spray color on the first 4-6 inches to blend.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Add one more to the hood cancer club. Car is a 2016, built W/O 21-SEP-2015, delivered W/O 12-OCT-2015, spent all its time in South Carolina and Florida. Car is garaged, and hood always kept waxed/sealed. I noticed the cancer when I was ceramic coating the car on Saturday.

I'm taking the car to Greenway Ford in Orlando tomorrow morning to start the process to get a new hood. It would be nice if they would let me swap out the stock hood for a Trufiber A72 or Cervini's Stalker hood, but c'est la vie. I'm going in with TSB 17-0062 ready to go if they try to propose repainting the stock hood.

JR
IMG_20180825_091450.jpg
IMG_20180825_091453.jpg
IMG_20180825_091459.jpg
IMG_20180825_091506.jpg
Sponsored