Sponsored

Best/favorite phone track app and wireless OBD device?

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
There are certainly many options lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
For track use I like Track Addict cause it's free (on Android anyway) and pretty darn simple.

For autocross I use SoloStorm because it's a great driver improvement tool and a lot of my friends have it so we can share data. They've added a time attack mode that supposedly works really well for track use, but I don't have any experience with it yet.

I don't have any personal experience with a WiFi OBD device, I'm using bluetooth.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
^ this.

FWIW, SoloStorm only works on Android devices, so sorry iPhone users. Trackaddict is on both. I've also used Harry's Lap Timer, but it can be a PITA for autox.

I too use bluetooth for ODBII data (ODBLink MX Bluetooth). You can only connect to one Wifi device at a time, and sometimes that one connection is needed to sync up with an external camera (GoPro), while you can connect to multiple bluetooth devices.

That said, I have an WiFi ODBII sender (GoPoint BT1) for use with the PC and Forscan app because it talks to the Ford MS-CAN bus (Most ODBII senders won't do that). However, I don't use the BT1 with track apps.

OP
OP
danpass

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Two for TrackAddict .... ok

I understand that a GPS device can also be good? Something about a higher sampling rate.

(changed title to reflect wireless instead)

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes, you need an external GPS if you want useful data. Internal GPS in phones is 1 Hz update rate, external is typically 10 Hz update rate.

The comments about iOS disallowing Bluetooth devices like the external GPS or OBD2 reader is why I'm using an Android device for logging. I can connect the OBD2 reader & GPS receiver using bluetooth and still use Wi-Fi for controlling the GoPro.

Here's TrackAddict in use (with RaceRender to put the overlay on the video. They've since added video overlays within the app, IIRC):

[ame]

Here's SoloStorm in use:
[ame]

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I have been using track addict with a WiFi obdII module forget the specific model. It works but it isn’t great. Still some data is better than no data. I will have to look at solo storm.

moreause

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
i don't know about the track app

but i like the obd link adapter

a have the MX and LX that are bluetooth and also tested the WIFI version (i gave it to my sister she's an apple fan)

i had the mx since i was out ... a couple of year back

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic [wrap'd grey] GT Premium PP
Trackaddict on Android works well and great with Racerender to customize output later
OBDLink MX Bluetooth (same reasons as above wifi is limited to one device)
Qstarz BT-Q818XT External GPS

sample of using my gopro (not synced in app did that in racerender less to fiddle, track addict does support gopros tho)

[ame]

links below

obd
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YCZINA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
TrackAddict on IPhone and Kiwi 3 for OBD. GoPro for video and use RaceRender to sync data with video.

Getting a GoPro remote to control a front camera and in car camera so could free up the connection of phone to OBD. Should be much easier than fumbling with the phone as I'm trying to roll out on track.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Anyone have any comments on Harry's versus RaceChrono?
I have both I like the output of Harrys slightly better but its very finicky. I use racechrono now its simple and just works.

Harrys

[ame]

Race Chrono

[ame]

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I use Race Chrono, paid version with some generic OBDII blutooth connector.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
sub'd

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Having these devices for data is great, but I am struggling to comprehend the installation.Every six months new tech evolves and I fall further behind. My pony is still not ready for track duty anyways, but one day.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Having these devices for data is great, but I am struggling to comprehend the installation.Every six months new tech evolves and I fall further behind.
That was a big reason I went with an Aim Solo for logging the track speed/position/accelerations data. If I hadn't already had an Aeroforce Interceptor plugged into the OBDII port (for A-pillar HUD-ish purposes), I might have gone for the Aim Solo DL version. For me, keeping the datalogging separate from any phone or BT was (and still is) an absolute requirement.

I also use Race Render (might be the $50 version).

Norm
Sponsored