Sponsored

MotoIQ TESTED: Ford Power Packs 1-3

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Are you trying to launch on ice or something? Even with the stock Pirelli PZeros, I have no problem whatsoever putting the power down.

I can see your point about the PP2 though if you haven't tried it. The PP2 makes the car so much more fun to drive on a daily basis. I feel like the car is actually even easier and smoother to drive now with the PP2 than stock. The Ford Performance tune is phenomenal.

For a daily driver, I would never go back to stock after trying the PP2.
One of my rear wheels spins if I, let's say, stay at the intersection with cross traffic moving and then start moving fast enough to make a right or left 90 degree and to take my spot in the traffic. Yes, that's fast but not to the point my wheels should spin that easy. The whole situation is not as bad if the car didn't have the lsd, but still... And it still happens if I have passengers in the back.
Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
One of my rear wheels spins if I, let's say, stay at the intersection with cross traffic moving and then start moving fast enough to make a right or left 90 degree and to take my spot in the traffic. Yes, that's fast but not to the point my wheels should spin that easy. The whole situation is not as bad if the car didn't have the lsd, but still... And it still happens if I have passengers in the back.
Please buy a v6.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Please buy a v6.
Just let me know when you are ready to send me a check for the amount of V6 MSRP... I'll probably still be able to find some '17 models... Sure, that might be not my first choice color, but that's ok.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
With my stock Coyote (and tires) I have issues putting power to the ground. So not sure I'd benefit from pp2.

I'm not getting either of PPs though :), and not trading in for 2018 for a few extra horses :)

I see the powerpack as the way to refresh my car several years later when I feel like I need a present for myself and the car or so.
If you're on the stock Pirelli PZero summer tires, that's probably your issue. They just don't stick well at all if they have any wear on them in my experience.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Those who have PP2 - gt350 hood lrvel is lower than just a gt. Does that mean that the intake is not covered tightly at the top and thus getting some hot air from the top of the hood? Or that is not an issue?

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
If you're on the stock Pirelli PZero summer tires, that's probably your issue. They just don't stick well at all if they have any wear on them in my experience.
Yes. These tires might be actually not bad if taken to the autocross or track where they could get up to proper temperatures.

But for DD they are just the wrong tool.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This. MPSS or PS4S, Firehwawk Indy 500 or any number of other modern street summer tires hook up just fine. The Pzeros work quite well when HOT, but they're a poor street tire.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I can see your point about the PP2 though if you haven't tried it.
I'd hit rev limiter several times while doing some spirited driving. So I like the fact that pp3 pushes it allittle forward. But other than that, - it's expensive and I'm almost never in that rpm range that got power increase benefit.

PP1 - just do not like k&n filters.

So PP2 is still the winner for me. Hopefully better tires will help with wheelspin.

I'm not getting either of those right now because I'm not chasing every possible hp/tq gain immediately. Not jealous to those who waited or traded in for 2018, or for those who'll wait for Bullit, or whatever.

I enjoy the car the way it is right now, and will keep PP2 as an option to refresh my relationship with the car later on... maybe several years later :) I like the fact that Ford provides these pps, and so I know there's even more potential to the car if one needs it

Article is great. Anyone knows of some compilation of 0-60, quartermile/etc numbers for stock / pp1 / pp2 / pp3 / 2018 stock ? Would be nice to know how all these hp/tq gains translate into fraction of seconds :)

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This. MPSS or PS4S, Firehwawk Indy 500 or any number of other modern street summer tires hook up just fine. The Pzeros work quite well when HOT, but they're a poor street tire.
I dumped them for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Sponsored

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are these tires great for traction?
Yes, they're incredible. I have about 5k miles on them now I think, and they've never broken loose unless I've demanded it of them.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they're incredible. I have about 5k miles on them now I think, and they've never broken loose unless I've demanded it of them.
Excellent in the rain too.